Anyone trying the NFC tags?

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I threw some of them in my preorder basket since I get a 25% disc on accessories, figured they would be fun to play with but i haven't really thought of any killer uses yet. Any ideas out there? A tag on my desk at work for "work mode" seems like a good idea (wifi on, ringers off, etc) and one in the car (until i get a car mount), that turns wifi off, makes the ringer super loud, and starts google maps. I am too lazy to fiddle with my phone on a regular basis like that, so the tags might be a decent way to better leverage all the settings i normally ignore.

Scout_313

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Personally, I think they're more of a gimmick than anything else so I won't be picking any up. Maybe if I read some real life testimonials from people who have actually used them in useful ways, I might reconsider them.

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I think they're more of a gimmick than anything else so I won't be picking any up. Maybe if I read some real life testimonials from people who have actually used them in useful ways, I might reconsider them.

That's the thing; it's all about how you intend on using them. Interesting use cases don't just appear by magic, this sort of feature is something that they left open to interpretation.

firetruck41

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
There are a few threads about them. I can think of quite a few uses for them and bought some non samsung tags to use when my SGS3 comes. I got 10 for $15 from tagsfordroid.com, received them quickly, but don't have my phone yet, so can't say how they work. They will essentially replace "tasker" for me.

wscaddie56

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
i have the 25% off accessories w vz too and that might be excuse enough to give them a try; seeing as i have unlimited data(for now) i don't toggle wifi on and off so i don't know how useful they would be but it's an interesting idea

WhoMe

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I think Im gonna give them a shot..depending on how much can be done with them. I have tasker but, I tried just a couple of profiles and found it complicated. I may give it another go before spending the money on tec tiles.

Bsk8r999

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
How do they work? Is it like s beam where you need to swipe your phone across it? Or is it like within a given radius it will activate it. Given the fact that I'm losing unl data it would be sweet to place a tag by my front door so when I walk in the house I immediately turn on wifi, instead of just having it searching all the time

firetruck41

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
How do they work? Is it like s beam where you need to swipe your phone across it? Or is it like within a given radius it will activate it. Given the fact that I'm losing unl data it would be sweet to place a tag by my front door so when I walk in the house I immediately turn on wifi, instead of just having it searching all the time

You have to swipe it within an inch or less from what I have read/seen. It seems to be designed to be used in exactly the type of scenario you mention.

Reactions: Bsk8r999

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site

I just noticed that Verizon actually makes an app that uses tower location to turn wifi on/off so you dont have to drain your battery or remember to change it all the time. Personally I leave mine on all the time since I dont spend a ton of time outside of wifi range, and since GB hit the battery cost is pretty small.

cuammo

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
The one interesting use I read about was to set up a tag for others who enter your house to log onto your wifi, so no one has to set anything up, just swipe their phones and they log on with the password.

anon(19758)

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
A friend of mine has (i believe) a Nexus S 4g on Sprint. He was telling me recently that he has a tag by his front door, and in his car. The one in the car turns wifi off, Bluetooth and location services on, and (i think) adjusts the ringer volume. It may do something else too, I can't remember. The one by the door reverses the process, more or less.

Seems useful to me, I may tinker with his when I see him this weekend and see how they work.

Does anyone know if the're WORM or WMRM?

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
The one interesting use I read about was to set up a tag for others who enter your house to log onto your wifi, so no one has to set anything up, just swipe their phones and they log on with the password.

Serious question, but do things like that work for any NFC phone or just GS3's? Or just GS3's that are running the same ROM used to program the tag?

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Serious question, but do things like that work for any NFC phone or just GS3's? Or just GS3's that are running the same ROM used to program the tag?

The explanation was that the NFC data was "shareable" but i think this is going to be enabled by some proprietary backend application (meaning only samsung phones will have all the nifty "touch this tag to see my facebook page" or "touch this tag to download wifi login" type of uses.)

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking of getting these primarily to start GPS when I put my phone in my car dock but I've read that GPS is not an available function for these. If that's true then I can probably live without NFC tags. Other functions would be fun but not that important.
Also, does emitting an NFC signal from the phone use up battery?

StayFly

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
i really wanted to get these but no verizon store sales them around me. If you use the app LLama it works great for the same task.

firetruck41

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking of getting these primarily to start GPS when I put my phone in my car dock but I've read that GPS is not an available function for these. If that's true then I can probably live without NFC tags. Other functions would be fun but not that important.
Also, does emitting an NFC signal from the phone use up battery?

I have been trying out NFC Task Launcher (free), and it seems to be a better app then TecTiles. Other than the set alarm function not working. There is a fix in the works for that according to the dev. GPS on/off is an option on NFC Task Launcher, but it requires root to control that function.
For my car, I use it to turn Wi-Fi off, Bluetooth on, turn up ringer and media volume, and launch Car Home Ultra. (If I root, I will turn on GPS). Also have tags at home and work that adjust settings, one texts my wife that I am heading home.

Interestingly, I found that it works fine through my TPU Diztronic case...plus through almost 3/4 inch of wood MDF cabinet door.

i really wanted to get these but no verizon store sales them around me. If you use the app LLama it works great for the same task.
Just order online, www.tagsfordroid.com had them 10 for $15 w/shipping, plus a free nfc key fob.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
A little over $5 shipped for 5. Work fine, especially if you just want to tinker with these.

http://www.buynfctags.com/nfc-tags/stickers/nfc-sticker-ntag.html

425bfbb3-0b5a-40d9.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Last edited: