Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default New MHL Dongle

    Anyone know if the 11 pin MHL dongle is showing up in VZW stores?

    -Suntan
  2. #2  
    dubge's Avatar

    Posts
    1,142 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,377 Global Posts
    ROM
    Always changing

    Default Re: New MHL Dongle

    so will the same one that I got for the gnex not work with the sIII?
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: New MHL Dongle

    It "sort of" will.

    You will need to buy *another* adaptor to plug between the MHL adaptor and the phone. Then you will have the ability to mirror to the display, but you will not have the ability to mirror *and* use the USB OTG capabilities at the same time.

    With the new dongle that is released for the GSIII, you will be able to mirror to a display while also using USB OTG features.

    -Suntan
  4. #4  

    Default Re: New MHL Dongle

    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    It "sort of" will.

    You will need to buy *another* adaptor to plug between the MHL adaptor and the phone. Then you will have the ability to mirror to the display, but you will not have the ability to mirror *and* use the USB OTG capabilities at the same time.

    With the new dongle that is released for the GSIII, you will be able to mirror to a display while also using USB OTG features.

    -Suntan
    how does usb otg work in conjunction with the mhl?
  5. #5  
    Waipio11's Avatar

    Posts
    64 Posts
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts

    Default Re: New MHL Dongle

    New and correct version was not available in stores on 7/12 when I checked.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: New MHL Dongle

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    how does usb otg work in conjunction with the mhl?
    Older versions used a 5 pin MHL. The GSIII uses an 11 pin MHL. Thus there are discreet pinouts for both USB and HDMI. If you look up the bum of your phone you will see a second row of contacts inside the USB hole.

    Samsung to offer MHL cable adapter for Galaxy S3 | Android Central

    -Suntan
  7. #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Waipio11 View Post
    New and correct version was not available in stores on 7/12 when I checked.
    I checked Saturday, and it wasn't in store either. They did let me order it with free delivery and using my 25% employee discount. I would have ordered it online but when I checked a few days ago, gs3 accessories could not be ordered through the employee discount page.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: New MHL Dongle

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    I checked Saturday, and it wasn't in store either. They did let me order it with free delivery and using my 25% employee discount. I would have ordered it online but when I checked a few days ago, gs3 accessories could not be ordered through the employee discount page.
    What was the base cost at VZW without any discounts?

    -Suntan
  9. #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    What was the base cost at VZW without any discounts?

    -Suntan
    $40 before discount,same price online. Free shipping if it isn't available in stores either through in store purchase or online or over the phone.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default Re: New MHL Dongle

    Finally, anyone know what the actual part number is for the updated one that works specifically with the GSIII?

    I have a 30% off coupon for my local VZW store, but I'm not interested in having a rep try and sell me the old adaptor...

    -Suntan
  11. #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    Finally, anyone know what the actual part number is for the updated one that works specifically with the GSIII?

    I have a 30% off coupon for my local VZW store, but I'm not interested in having a rep try and sell me the old adaptor...

    -Suntan
    Part#: SAMHDTVADPTR
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/accessory?action=selectPhone&phoneId=5922&archetypeId=13118&accessoryId=51371
    Thanked by:
    Suntan 
  12. #12  

    Default Re: New MHL Dongle

    make sure to get the right one. i told the verizon rep 3 times galaxy s3, got it today, it was for the gnex, rez, etc. ugh.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: New MHL Dongle

    I chatted with a guy online and he said that i could use any micro usb to mhl cable - obviously does not know what he was talking about.
  14. #14  

    Default

    When I had an LG Spectrum, I purchased from monoprice.com and MHL adapter for $11 or so. It's got the 5 pin layout.

    I ended up getting an SGS3, so I found on Amazon the Samsung 5 to 11 pin adapter for $10.

    The two adapters work together just fine and I can see my phone's screen on my TV.

    Sent from my Blue 32 Verizon SGSIII using Tapatalk 2
  15. #15  

    Default Re: New MHL Dongle

    my concern is the usb otg capability
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

    Default Re: New MHL Dongle

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    my concern is the usb otg capability
    Yes.

    The new dongle is supposed to allow a person to use USB OTG capabilities while also outputting the video to a display.

    -Suntan
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

    Default Re: New MHL Dongle

    So I finally stopped by the local VZW store to use my 30% off discount and the guys in there didn't even know what I was talking about when I asked for an "MHL" dongle.

    Kept trying to suggest that maybe I wanted an HDMI cable...

    This isn't rocket science.

    -Suntan
  18. #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    So I finally stopped by the local VZW store to use my 30% off discount and the guys in there didn't even know what I was talking about when I asked for an "MHL" dongle.

    Kept trying to suggest that maybe I wanted an HDMI cable...

    This isn't rocket science.

    -Suntan
    Check the receipt to make sure that he ordered the right one. Unlike the ***** who ordered mine.
  19. #19  

    Default

    Really, I don't understand how someone who makes their living selling a line of products can know and understand so little about what they're selling...

    Sent from my Blue 32 Verizon SGSIII using Tapatalk 2
  20. #20  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by liteon163 View Post
    Really, I don't understand how someone who makes their living selling a line of products can know and understand so little about what they're selling...

    Sent from my Blue 32 Verizon SGSIII using Tapatalk 2
    A lot of retail stores are like this.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

    Default Re: New MHL Dongle

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Check the receipt to make sure that he ordered the right one. Unlike the ***** who ordered mine.
    I didn't order anything.

    After they proclaimed they didn't see anything in their warehouse that fit the discription and then went on mumbling that I should be able to use a universal cord from a different manufacturer so they would see what they had I politely told the couple of reps that it was a propietary cable. When they were completely befuddled by the notion of a propretary cable working in a standard USB port I told them to take it easy and walked out.

    I'll order it from the VZW website some other time.

    -Suntan
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

    Default Re: New MHL Dongle

    I eventually ordered the mhl adaptor from vzw and it arrived today.

    The adaptor works fine for outputting to the TV, but using a double ended usb cable, I can't get the OTG part to work with it.

    Has anyone been able to get a usb peripheral to work with the mhl adaptor?

    -Suntan
  23. #23  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    I eventually ordered the mhl adaptor from vzw and it arrived today.

    The adaptor works fine for outputting to the TV, but using a double ended usb cable, I can't get the OTG part to work with it.

    Has anyone been able to get a usb peripheral to work with the mhl adaptor?

    -Suntan
    That's what I was afraid of. By looking at the unit, I could not figure out how to get usb otg to work.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

    Default Re: New MHL Dongle

    The dongle works for mirroring and all, but overall it is a giant PITA. The one truly deficient spec on the GS3 is the use of an NHL connector instead of doing like moto does and putting separate USB and micro HDMI connectors.

    -Suntan
  25. #25  

    Default

    Sucks that the mhl doesn't work with usb otg. other than that, i don't really see an advantage for changing the mhl pin configuration. Paying $40 (less with discount) for essentially an adapter that isn't much different than the ones in the market (other than pins) is hard to swallow. I bought my lapdock for $70 (less with discount, and I know others have gotten it cheaper, but $70 is the current price) and it has a lot more to offer than a lousy adapter.

    Sent from my Droid Razr MAXX / Atrix Lapdock

Posting Permissions

B