Touchstone Charger (coil pack inside case)

TNScrambler

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Here is my mod....nothing really New to add, as this has been done before....I usually keep a case of some kind on my phone and recently picked up a Speck Candyshell case for my S3....its dual layer with a soft rubber inner, so I trimmed out a section of the rubber layer and put the coil and magnets there, then used copper tape on the phone to make contacts and exit out the side of the phone in between the back plate, that copper tape then makes contact with the copper tape inside the case, I did have to fold up some extra copper tape to go on top of the palm contacts as the double stacked magnets gave some extra space that to be taken up....there is a very minimal bulge on the back of the case, probably due to the double stacked magnets I used. The case is a pretty tight fit on the phone anyway, so it seems to hold everything in there nice and snug and with the magnets double stacked, it seems to hold just fine vertical or horizontal. Charges good too, I was able to stream pandora and set it on my night stand last night and it charged up just fine from 14% remaining at 1:30 to 100% when I got up at 6:00 (not sure when it got to 100%).

As an update, I tested this yesterday in my truck, I have an Palm Brand vehicle charger powering the touchstone in my truck....with the screen on and navigation going it was still able to gain 3% charge during my ~25 min commute home from work. I thought that was pretty good as with the 4.8in. screen on and navigation running, I was mearly hoping it would maintain charge and not loose any. Also, with the layer of rubber taken out of the inside of the speck case, there is just an ever so slight bump on the back of it...you really can't tell unless you tilt it against the light and see it ripple.

Also, I'll add a funny story to go along with this mod.... yesterday my boss (an avid iphone user) is talking to our counter guy who just broke his chair and says, "hey Justin, does your android phone have an app to tell us if this is real metal we can weld? haha" So, I said, well....Yes.... pulled my phone out of my pocket and let it "thunk" to the bottom of his chair, and then pulled it off with resistance, said, "yup, its real metal alright" and walked away.....then turned around as we all got a big laugh, then they wanted to know what app I had that did that, so I had to show them my charger inside my case lol.

IMG_20121114_235857.jpg

IMG_20121115_003120.jpg

IMG_20121115_003416.jpg

IMG_20121115_004857.jpg

IMG_20121115_005528.jpg

IMG_20121115_010230.jpg

IMG_20121115_011335.jpg

IMG_20121115_011344.jpg

IMG_20121115_011400_1.jpg

IMG_20121115_011512.jpg

gilbequick

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Nice mod. So what is the copper tape for? I did the touchstone mod on an old phone of mine, but did nothing with any copper tape. I just used a touchstone charger and an inductive coil from a Palm.

TNScrambler

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Nice mod. So what is the copper tape for? I did the touchstone mod on an old phone of mine, but did nothing with any copper tape. I just used a touchstone charger and an inductive coil from a Palm.

Its to make connection from the charging ports under the back cover of the phone, to the palm coil contacts...I have the contacts connected to the tape then, put the back cover of the phone on, and folded the tape back onto the rear cover to line up with the tape in the speck case....the preasre of the phone in the case keeps solid contact of the tape together ....that way nothing is hard wired or soldered to anything, if I wanted to in a matter 30 seconds, i could pull the tape off the contacts and snap the cover back on, you would never know the wireless charger was there
Justin