Samsung Mhl to HDMI no sound

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I can't get my sound to come out of the tv only the phones speakers. I tried to make sure this was going to work by getting the Samsung SIII adapter. The picture works fine, but no sound. I've tried it on a LG and Sony Bravia. Also, I used the factory USB charger and cable. I also tried one of the apps but can't remember what it was.

MeetMHL

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi There,
The audio problem you are experiencing is unique to a downloaded music app installed on your phone ? some music apps blocks audio when video is playing ? please try removing your music apps to determine which is blocking audio to the TV. If you figure out which exact app is causing the issue please let us know. thanks a lot.
Krista from MHL team.

John_Cline

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I am having the "no audio through HDMI" issue as well. I have a stock Verizon Galaxy S4 (with the latest OTA update) and the new "official" white Samsung Galaxy S4 MHL Adapter (ET-H10FAUWEGWW.) No matter what I have tried, I can't get audio output through the HDMI cable, all audio plays through the S4's speaker. I tried uninstalling both the MixZing Premium and Google Play Music audio player apps. No change. This is highly disappointing. Any ideas or progress toward resolution of this problem since the last reply on this thread on June 6th?

Last edited:

Janine R

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
I too am having the same issue ever since the latest ota software update. I have the Verizon galaxy s4 & bought the newest samsung mhl adapter. The audio worked fine (came out of tv speakers) until the latest software update. Now the audio only plays from the phone speaker but the picture still displays on the tv. I contacted Verizon tech support & they suggested a factory reset which I did & still no audio. They then sent me a new adapter but still having same issue. I honestly believe whatever they changed in the latest ota update Verizon(or samsung) pushed out is causing the problem. I also spoke with Samsung tech support and they had no answers. They told me to take the phone, mhl adapter, hdmi cord, & charger up to best buy and see what they can do. I haven't had a chance to make it up there yet but I'm not sure if they will have a solution either. Is there anyway to get the phone to the previous software it was running (the version when I originally got the phone)? When I factory reset it automatically installed the lastest update. Whoever develops the software updates needs to be made aware of this issue so they can fix the problem. I'm totally bummed becuz I use my phone to stream alot of movies & shows to my tv & this sound problem is starting to get very annoying - u cant hear some of the movies when coming from phone's speakers. If anyone has anyone has any other suggestions on how to fix please let me know. Your help is appreciated :)

jijawm

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I am experiencing this same issue. Yesterday, July 27th, 2013, the MHL to HDMI worked flawlessly. Today, no audio from TV. Audio comes out of the phone. Very frustrating to think that software updates would create problems. So, I'm watching Orange is the New Black with the audio from the phone and the HDMI signal is intermittent, and no audio from the TV. And I had to try connecting it a dozen times before the signal took hold.
Do software updates occur automatically? The phone will be sitting in my pocket and I'll hearthe start-up music like it re-booted.

Nathaniel Grimes

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. The strange thing is that it works on my bedroom tv but not on my living room tv. My bedroom tv is not connected to a receiver, my living room tv is. I don't know if it is because of the receiver that the audio doesn't work. Whatever the case, I've done 2 factory resets which didn't help. It worked flawless prior to the OTA. That software update did nothing but create issues.

Janine R

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Which options? Can u plz be more specific? I took everything up to best buy per Samsung tech support instructions& the Samsung guy up there had no answers either. He said most likely if the problems started after the latest ota update its some kund of bug in the software and they need to send a patch out or other update to fix the issue. He was quite honest with me (I dont think he was yanking my tail) he said honestly its just going to be a waiting game. Once enough people complain about the problem then samsung will look into it. But he said the issue with this particular case is that not a whole lot of people use a mhl adapter(most use a wireless connection) so its probably going to be awhile. He advised going to samsung website & emailing then about the issues. But if this is a simple fix like ur saying I'm surprised samsung& Verizon tech support did not know how to do. Thnx

natodemon

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I had the same issue with my S4 yesterday video came out through the TV and audio through the phone speakers. After about 45 mins of googling and changing all the settings I looked on the play store and was about to give up when I found an app called: soundabout (free version will do) and in the app there is an option called media audio, there you just change it to aux digital (HDMI) and voila audio comes through the TV.

Hope this works for you
Natodemon

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

natodemon

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Your welcome! Glad it worked. I also just found out that it is TV dependent as I tried the MHL with a different TV and it worked without the app, but at least with the app it should work with any TV.

Natodemon

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

debate

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I am trying right now to play an MKV movie and used soundabout and there is still no sound, but when I play a normal video that I recorded with the phone or on youtube it works.

Can someone help me?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
debate,
Out of curiosity, why didn't you set the movie format to mp4? That should be natively supported.

Edit: welcome to the forums!

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

alan bertie bass

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
I to just had the same problem with no sound through the tv only out of the phone. Mine was cured by using a new good quality hdmi lead and this fixed the problem. But no saying if it will cure your sound problems but worth giving it a shot

mars2304

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
I have no idea why this worked for me.. But it did. Might not solve everyones issue.. But I thought I would share in case it helps someone in the same boat as I. had same prob on my note 3. Except no sound out of tv or my phone when HML connected (headphone or bluetooth would work).
Had HDMI device settings to stereo. But when HML connected the setting option was not highlighted.
In the ACESSORY SETTINGS for docking station all options were still highlighted and could be changed while HML plugged in. (Yes.. I realize im not docking.. bear with me). I had it set to "use external speakers when device is docked". I changed this option to not use external speakers.. tried it & no difference. UNPLUGGED HML and switched option back to "use extrenal speakers when device is docked".. plugged back in and suddenly the option was not heighlighted anymore (same as the stereo or surround option for HDMI)... lo and behold.. the audio now works on tv.. even though these are the same settings I initially had. Strange.. but it was what got it working for my note 3.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilsgutkowski