Telescope for GS3 with review and pictures

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
On E-bay are listings for cell phone telescopes. I bought an 8x for my GS3. Came with a lens, couple cleaner wipes, a lanyard, and a rear cover for the phone. Snap the phone into the cover, clip the telescope to the cover, and have fun with it.

Last edited:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: Telescope for S3

Interesting - perhaps you should do a full-blown review of the one that you got, with some pictures (I'm not sure I get the back cover business - does it replace the existing back?) and a write-up of what the smartphone brings to the party.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site

I can do that right here.
The unit comes in the typical cheap cardboard box, but sits in a vacuum formed holder. This is the 8x lens. Zoom is accomplished by un-pinching the image on the screen, just like you normally do. There is a focus ring near the front of the lens that is marked 3m to ∞.
A clear plastic back for the phone is included. It simply snaps on just like any other protective case would, and fits very well. The OEM back stays on the phone. The telescope clips into a mount on that case. Mine cost me $8.22 with free shipping. It arrived in about 4-5 days from New Jersey. The seller is EmilyandLily.

Search E-bay for;
Telescope Camera 8X Zoom Lens w/Case Cover for Samsung Galaxy S3 SIII i9300
Telescope8x.jpg

The 12x telescope is similar, but also comes with a tripod and mount. It appears to have a different mounting system to the case back. I'll update when mine arrives. The tripod mount holds the phone by its edges, like most car mounts do. Current cost is about $21.94 with free shipping.
Search E-bay for;
EM#01 12X Zoom Camera Telescope Lens +Case Tripod for Samsung S3 i9300
Telescope12x.jpg

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site

Here are some pictures. The bird feeder is about 50ft from my position. Full zoom on the camera gives the typical fuzziness to a zoomed picture with the phones, since they use a digital zoom, and not an optical zoom.
You must hold the camera very steady. I used the BarBQ grill as a rest.

Momma Bluebird guarding the nest.
20140518_184154_zps136a7994.jpg

Baltimore Oriole at the jelly dish.
20140518_183912_zps615dcc38.jpg

Momma and Daddy Geese herding the 3 young uns.
20140518_103323_zpsb24f114e.jpg

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site

All in all I'm very happy with the lens. It fits in your pocket, or hangs from the included lanyard around your neck.
No case is included, but if you don't normally use a cover on your phone, you don't need one. Just keep the included cover on your phone, and carry the lens however you like.
For the price, I'm not going to complain. It's pretty neat to have. There are telescopes made for most Samsung Galaxy phones and iPhones. I didn't search for them, but I suppose they are made for others as well.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the write-up! Until I saw the pictures I had no idea that the telescope was using the existing camera lens (I'm not sure what I thought TBH - I guess I was picturing a regular telescope but had no clue how the phone fit into the whole shebang).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Update on the 12x. Took longer to get this one in the mail. 1.5 weeks. Once it got to the USPS, it took 4 days to get here.
Just like the 8x, you snap on the back cover. Instead of the lens sliding into a clip, it screws on. Usage will determine how that holds up.
Now for a picture. Same place as the other, same full zoom.

20140529_121138.jpg

I had a little movement of the bird, but the picture is clear. I did not use the included tripod.
The tripod is fairly well made, and easy to set up. You pull up on the spring loaded mount, slip the phone in it, and release the top bar. Easy and secure.

All in all, these are a great addition to your GS3.

AC App on SGS3

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylorhudson5670