Gah, protected bootloader?

rion_j

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
wow, what a joke! typical verizon. i'm sure the dev community will get around this at some point, but if this crap continues with verizon i'll take my business elsewhere.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
The only guarantees on Verizon nowadays is the Nexus. It was never a given, which is why the Nexus will always have more value. Clearly, the SIII is the best phone on the market, hardware-wise. It's just something else that needs to be taken into consideration with Verizon.
Hopefully, someone will crack this bootloader. Good luck!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Damn Im kinda glad my phone isn't coming till next week. If its locked like moto products ill sell it before I open the box

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

biff6789

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I think it's too early to tell the damage at this point and there is hope that the wizards on XDA will figure out a way around this (if you don't believe me, go look at the insanely creative way they got around the EVO 3D's bootloader).

But if it turns out to be locked then I might as well have gotten a Moto

VicVinegar

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, that's what it comes down to, huh? Hopefully it's not too locked down, but this phone is going back or will be sold if rooting is impossible.

Not surprised. Way back when, I had a Samsung flip phone they crippled the bluetooth on. Then the Samsung Omnia where they locked the GPS to force you to use VZ Navigator.

Someone usually figures a way around it though. I guess we'll see. The fact they allowed the Nexus on their network had me thinking they were changing for the better. Wrong again.

Dave4321

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Phones will locked boot loaders can still be rooted. Hopefully they will at least figure out how to bypass the extra root security.

Rapta619

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
man I remember the hub bub about the DROID x with the kill switch boot lock. they got around that.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Tomab

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Who at VZ makes these decisions?!? Anyone who roots their phone knows the risk THEY are assuming. What would possess someone to think they are doing the right thing by preventing open access? They must be an absolute delight to live with.

martian_11

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Damn this sucks... my phone already shipped. Why does Verizon do this to us.? Verizon sure knows how to [deleted] us good. I really hope devs can find a way to gain root.

Last edited by a moderator:

syrianrue

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
here i am all excited, phone in hand, setting up apex and getting everything rocking...and i read this news, ultimate sigh...oh well, i know the devs will get around it in no time :D

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
There's nothing to worry about here... tons of phones ship with locked bootloaders, including the Thunderbolt and many of Moto's phones. The One X's bootloader was locked as well, so it's not just a Verizon thing. They are all trying to protect their IP and lower support costs. Someone will have the bootloader unlocked, and it probably won't take long.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
man I remember the hub bub about the DROID x with the kill switch boot lock. they got around that.

And as someone who had the Droid X on launch day, I remember that it took very long for a workaround to be found.

My Nexus just looks better and better every day.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I won't be getting this phone if this is true. Typical Verizon - finding new ways to screw their loyal customers.

Every Samsung device in the world has unlocked bootloaders except this.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance