CyanogenMod for S3 Verizon

ganggreen30

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if Cyanogen team is working on a Rom for this now we have root? Thanks

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

thirsy1258

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Well its been rooted so what's the boot loader have to do with anything

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

If im correct in my thinking rooting and unlocking the boot loader are separate. Where are the rooms for VZW gs3? I've seen some for some of the other carriers.i think the boot loader needs to be unlocked permanently so there is no issues i could be wrong.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Boot loader and Rooting are two separate things when it comes to hacking your phone. Rooting your phone is basically giving yourself admin access to a computer. You can do more things that originally you couldn't and you can use apps that will let you control CPU speed, backup apps and more.

Unlocking the boot loader gives you much more and allows you to flash things such as kernels or new radios to your phone. You need boot loader to do this, not simply root. CM has a ROM in dev for the GS3 last I heard and same as an unofficial AOKP port but with a locked boot loader (last I saw online someone from CM is coming close to cracking it) it won't be nearly as good.

If you plan to root your device, I would recommend that you take every precaution and follow the guides either here or on rootzwiki.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I believe that most issues have found work arounds that will allow custom roms. They may not be elegant but they are working in testing right now. RIL has been cracked and a working kexec for kernels.

Release of a CM9 rom is probably not too far off at this point.

anon(19758)

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Unlocking the boot loader gives you much more and allows you to flash things such as kernels or new radios to your phone. You need boot loader to do this, not simply root. CM has a ROM in dev for the GS3 last I heard and same as an unofficial AOKP port but with a locked boot loader (last I saw online someone from CM is coming close to cracking it) it won't be nearly as good.

I don't think this is 100% accurate. AFAIK the Droid X bootloader was never fully unlocked, and it still ran CM7. Bootloader does allow you to do more, but it isn't a guaranteed "NO" when it comes to Cyanogen. Again, as far as I know.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I don't think this is 100% accurate. AFAIK the Droid X bootloader was never fully unlocked, and it still ran CM7. Bootloader does allow you to do more, but it isn't a guaranteed "NO" when it comes to Cyanogen. Again, as far as I know.

Never said that it was a NO. As of right now in the state that the boot loader is in I do not believe that you can safely flash a Kernel. You can flash ROM's sure (CM9 in the case of GS3 when its stable) but the boot loader right now will not allow you to boot using a non-approved kernel until it is broken.

Ci0gY.png

If you flash a kernel with a lock bootloader you will most likely get an error message what won't allow you to boot the device unless you flash the stock kernel back.

devman

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
There is apparently an official CM9 rom in the works for the Verizon model. Apparently it will be using the kexec work around to boot the custom kernel.

Exerpt from XDA thread (which itself sources a dev, links below)

SGS3 on Verizon Update

So for anyone who is wondering, this last weekend I finalized a kexec-based boot sequence for CM9 on the d2vzw (Samsung Galaxy S3, Verizon variant) that will allow standard installs to the device.

All of the kexec internals are now stored on the system partition, and cold booting into the stock kernel will result in the following:
1.) boot is hijacked immediately after the filesystems are mounted
2.) kexec-boot.zip is copied to /cache and set to auto-flash on reboot
3.) device is rebooted into recovery
4.) kexec-boot.zip is auto-flashed without user interaction
5.) device is kexec-rebooted with androidboot.mode=kexec
6.) boot is not hijacked since it is within a kexec environment
7.) the system is now booted with a custom kernel

This means we now have custom kernels that can be booted directly from a cold boot (no booting into recovery and flashing a zip manually, that will be done for you). Also this means that all of the kexec internals are on the /system partition, so backups and restores from recovery function as expected. The only downside to this is that the boot process actually involved 2 quick reboots, but it's preferable IMO to having to flash manually from recovery.

The main problem still existing with the device is the lack of data connectivity. This is currently being looked into. Voice calls and SMS function as expected, but the SIM appears to be failing provisioning resulting in no 3G/4G connectivity.

I'll keep you posted.

XDA: [BOOTLOADER] Locked bootloader research and news [Updated: 7/16/2012] - Page 82 - xda-developers

CM Google+: https://plus.google.com/u/0/117962666888533781522/posts/amkBtU8G9cr

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

In laymans language "that was because of the 2nd init hack" that caused the DX to be able to run CM7, and why CM7 and MIUI were called 2nd init Roms:)

anon(19758)

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
If you're gonna say "go read this elsewhere," could you include a link to the specific article or forum thread you're referring to? That way we all get the relevant information and can keep the submission going.

Thanks!

Sent from my Galaxy S III via Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance