Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 119
Like Tree15Likes
  1. #26  
    taylorz_412's Avatar

    Posts
    2,075 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Clean ROM

    Default Re: [GUIDE] Restore Back to Clean Factory Stock

    i downloaded the stock root 66 which file do i extract and use in odin?
  2. #27  
    taylorz_412's Avatar

    Posts
    2,075 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Clean ROM

    Default Re: [GUIDE] Restore Back to Clean Factory Stock

    i downloaded the stock root 66 zip which file do i extract and use in odin because the one from cyber warriors thread isnt working
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #28  

    Default Re: [GUIDE] Restore Back to Clean Factory Stock

    Quote Originally Posted by taylorz_412 View Post
    i downloaded the stock root 66 zip which file do i extract and use in odin because the one from cyber warriors thread isnt working
    The file is compressed in a .zip file. There should only be one file in the zip... stock.vzw_root66.tar

    That is the file that you want.
  4. #29  
    taylorz_412's Avatar

    Posts
    2,075 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Clean ROM

    Default Re: [GUIDE] Restore Back to Clean Factory Stock

    there is boot.img cache.img.ext4 non-hlos.bin recovery.img and system.img.ext4
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #30  

    Default Re: [GUIDE] Restore Back to Clean Factory Stock

    Quote Originally Posted by taylorz_412 View Post
    there is boot.img cache.img.ext4 non-hlos.bin recovery.img and system.img.ext4
    Sounds like opened the .tar file. Right click on the actual stock.vzw_root66 file and select properties from the menu. Where it says type of file it should say WinZip file (.tar). If it is a .tar file, that is what you need. Don't extract anything from there.

    Edit: Also, while you are there, check the file size as well. Should say it is 1.52 GB under file properties.
    Thanked by:
    taylorz_412 likes this.
  6. #31  
    taylorz_412's Avatar

    Posts
    2,075 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Clean ROM

    Default Re: [GUIDE] Restore Back to Clean Factory Stock

    Quote Originally Posted by creccaj1 View Post
    Sounds like opened the .tar file. Right click on the actual stock.vzw_root66 file and select properties from the menu. Where it says type of file it should say WinZip file (.tar). If it is a .tar file, that is what you need. Don't extract anything from there.

    Edit: Also, while you are there, check the file size as well. Should say it is 1.52 GB under file properties.
    i have never felt like such a noob thanks for your help first time with odin and its kinda intimidating ....
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #32  

    Default Re: [GUIDE] Restore Back to Clean Factory Stock

    Quote Originally Posted by taylorz_412 View Post
    i have never felt like such a noob thanks for your help first time with odin and its kinda intimidating ....
    No worries, that why we are here
    Thanked by:
    taylorz_412 likes this.
  8. #33  
    oper8or's Avatar

    Posts
    61 Posts
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts

    Default Re: [GUIDE] Restore Back to Clean Factory Stock

    I am unable to unzip the files for some reason. Any way I can get the files that are not zip files?
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #34  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oper8or View Post
    I am unable to unzip the files for some reason. Any way I can get the files that are not zip files?
    All you need is a program like winzip or winrar to unzip. If you can unzip even though you have one of those than it sounds like a bad download.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  10. #35  
    oper8or's Avatar

    Posts
    61 Posts
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts

    Default Re: [GUIDE] Restore Back to Clean Factory Stock

    Will this relock the bootloader?
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #36  

    Default Re: [GUIDE] Restore Back to Clean Factory Stock

    Quote Originally Posted by oper8or View Post
    Will this relock the bootloader?
    If you flash both the OS and Kernel it should. To be on the safe side I would relock the bootloader prior to flashing the original files with ODIN by using the app.
  12. #37  
    oper8or's Avatar

    Posts
    61 Posts
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts

    Default Re: [GUIDE] Restore Back to Clean Factory Stock

    Had to re-root and lock the bootloader then flash back to stock again. That did the trick. You may want to make note in the OP that one should relock the bootloader before flashing back, it will save someone like me a lot of extra flashing around. Phone is back to stock and boxed up for UPS to take it to Samsung for repair. Verizon wanted to send a refurb so I went the Samsung route, at least I will get the same phone back.
  13. #38  

    Default

    Does this work on a mac?

    Tap'n like a BOSS
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #39  

    Default Re: [GUIDE] Restore Back to Clean Factory Stock

    Quote Originally Posted by oper8or View Post
    Had to re-root and lock the bootloader then flash back to stock again. That did the trick. You may want to make note in the OP that one should relock the bootloader before flashing back, it will save someone like me a lot of extra flashing around. Phone is back to stock and boxed up for UPS to take it to Samsung for repair. Verizon wanted to send a refurb so I went the Samsung route, at least I will get the same phone back.
    Yea, that is my fault. Made this guide before out bootloader was unlocked lol. I will make sure to do that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter03 View Post
    Does this work on a mac?

    Tap'n like a BOSS
    You need ODIN. Unless they have a version of ODIN for Mac then I don't believe so.
  15. #40  

    Default Re: [GUIDE] Restore Back to Clean Factory Stock

    Quick question! But first of all, thanks for this very useful guide!

    So, I made a mistake the first time through. After locking my bootloader with EZ-Unlocker, I restarted my phone (I probably shouldn't have... IDK what I was thinking) and got some error about unauthorized software and it said I needed to take my phone to a Verizon Wireless center.

    Because of this, I wasn't able to get to EZ-Recovery and do a data wipe, but I went ahead with ODIN and I got to step six and got the green light from ODIN and everything, but my phone wouldn't boot up and got stuck on the flashy, colorful 4G LTE screen. So I pulled my battery and pressed Volume UP + home button + power button to go into recovery mode and did a wipe data/factory reset ONLY! I didn't do wipe davlik cache/format system; I don't think that was an option in the menu I saw. When I did Step Six again, everything worked, and I immediately got sent into the setup wizard (which is what I wanted to do) without having to do Step Seven or a factory reset from the settings.

    So here's my question: Is everything fine? Everything looks fine, but I'm worried that something went wrong because I didn't wipe davlik cache/format system. I'd hate to think everything was fine, and then have my phone bricked after my first OTA update.

    PS I'm a complete noob about this stuff. I rooted my phone for the first time yesterday and got CM10, but I realized that all this rooting business is a bit over my head so I'm trying to get my phone back to the old bloated version designed for people like me.

    Update: So when I set up my phone, it already had the wifi info for both my home and school networks saved and my phone automatically connected to my home network. Also, my phone had the default background initally, but then it switched to my old background I used to have before I started rooting/flashing yesterday. This leads me to believe that I didn't do a complete wipe. However, when I installed CM10 yesterday, I used this guide (thanks for that, too ) and did all the wipes written there. Is it possible that my wallpaper and wifi data were saved by Verizon Backup Assistant or something similar?

    Also, when the Play Store reinstalled EZ-Unlocker (with all of my other old apps), I tried opening it, but it told me I was unrooted! I don't need my phone to look completely new so I can return it to Verizon or anything. I just want the stock OS back (which I have, I think) and I want to be unrooted (which I am) and bootloader locked so I can safely receive OTA updates. Is there a way to check that my bootloader is locked from my current unrooted state?

    Thanks again for this guide and sorry for all the questions. Like I said, I'm a complete noob at all this and just want to get back to the way things were.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #41  

    Default Re: [GUIDE] Restore Back to Clean Factory Stock

    Quote Originally Posted by ejpark View Post
    Quick question! But first of all, thanks for this very useful guide!

    So, I made a mistake the first time through. After locking my bootloader with EZ-Unlocker, I restarted my phone (I probably shouldn't have... IDK what I was thinking) and got some error about unauthorized software and it said I needed to take my phone to a Verizon Wireless center.

    Because of this, I wasn't able to get to EZ-Recovery and do a data wipe, but I went ahead with ODIN and I got to step six and got the green light from ODIN and everything, but my phone wouldn't boot up and got stuck on the flashy, colorful 4G LTE screen. So I pulled my battery and pressed Volume UP + home button + power button to go into recovery mode and did a wipe data/factory reset ONLY! I didn't do wipe davlik cache/format system; I don't think that was an option in the menu I saw. When I did Step Six again, everything worked, and I immediately got sent into the setup wizard (which is what I wanted to do) without having to do Step Seven or a factory reset from the settings.

    So here's my question: Is everything fine? Everything looks fine, but I'm worried that something went wrong because I didn't wipe davlik cache/format system. I'd hate to think everything was fine, and then have my phone bricked after my first OTA update.

    PS I'm a complete noob about this stuff. I rooted my phone for the first time yesterday and got CM10, but I realized that all this rooting business is a bit over my head so I'm trying to get my phone back to the old bloated version designed for people like me.

    Update: So when I set up my phone, it already had the wifi info for both my home and school networks saved and my phone automatically connected to my home network. Also, my phone had the default background initally, but then it switched to my old background I used to have before I started rooting/flashing yesterday. This leads me to believe that I didn't do a complete wipe. However, when I installed CM10 yesterday, I used this guide (thanks for that, too ) and did all the wipes written there. Is it possible that my wallpaper and wifi data were saved by Verizon Backup Assistant or something similar?

    Also, when the Play Store reinstalled EZ-Unlocker (with all of my other old apps), I tried opening it, but it told me I was unrooted! I don't need my phone to look completely new so I can return it to Verizon or anything. I just want the stock OS back (which I have, I think) and I want to be unrooted (which I am) and bootloader locked so I can safely receive OTA updates. Is there a way to check that my bootloader is locked from my current unrooted state?

    Thanks again for this guide and sorry for all the questions. Like I said, I'm a complete noob at all this and just want to get back to the way things were.
    You should be fine. Wiping cache and dalvik won't stop your phone from receiving updated. If you really are paranoid about it, ODIN up and flash the stock rooted ROM and wipe everything then flash back the nonrooted image.

    Yes, your wallpaper and WiFi passwords save. Its part of the Google Backup, same things with apps you buy from the market. Sometimes that feature works, sometimes it doesn't. Depends on the ROM/GAPPS package.

    Yes you can check. Reboot your phone and when it starts to come back up if the "SAMSUNG" logo stays on the screen for more than a second before going to the Verizon boot animation then it is locked.

    If I missed anything let me know.
    Thanked by:
    ejpark 
  17. #42  

    Default Re: [GUIDE] Restore Back to Clean Factory Stock

    Thanks again! I just wanted to make sure I was rooted and locked so I could safely receive OTA updates.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #43  
  19. #44  

    Default Re: [GUIDE] Restore Back to Clean Factory Stock

    I'm sorry if this is redundant but I don't want to brick my phone so here it goes. I relocked the bootloader with EZ-Recovery and then selected to boot into recovery but instead it booted to the "unauthorized software....report to Verizon" screen. I now can't boot to recovery to wipe my data or anything so I'm wondering what the best route to take is. Should I connect to ODIN, flash the stock ROM and kernel, then re-root my phone, and THEN redo the unroot process? Great guide by the way, and sorry if this is a stupid question. Hate that there is a locked bootloader on this great device in the first place.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #45  

    Default Re: [GUIDE] Restore Back to Clean Factory Stock

    Quote Originally Posted by HalfwayJames View Post
    I'm sorry if this is redundant but I don't want to brick my phone so here it goes. I relocked the bootloader with EZ-Recovery and then selected to boot into recovery but instead it booted to the "unauthorized software....report to Verizon" screen. I now can't boot to recovery to wipe my data or anything so I'm wondering what the best route to take is. Should I connect to ODIN, flash the stock ROM and kernel, then re-root my phone, and THEN redo the unroot process? Great guide by the way, and sorry if this is a stupid question. Hate that there is a locked bootloader on this great device in the first place.
    No its okay, this guide was made before we had the ability to unlock the bootloader so there is a new guide coming. You are going to have to follow this guide on XDA to get back to stock with an unlocked bootloader. This is what I did when I had to send mine back for warranty.

    [HOW-TO] Unbrick your soft bricked Galaxy S3 - xda-developers
  21. #46  

    Default Re: [GUIDE] Restore Back to Clean Factory Stock

    My question is regarding my current setup. I am running CM 10 nightly from 9/20. All seems well. However, I want to go back to stock for the official Jelly Bean OTA update (whenever that is). Do I lock the bootloader before I flash the stock rom? I feel like that would cause me to soft brick, which was enough of a pain to recover (not hard necessarily; version 1.3 of EZ Unlock did not actually unlock the bootlader...had to use version 1.1. or 1.2) from the 1st time. Also, is the ODIN process what is actually doing the "unrooting"? I think I have been reading so many things in recent days since I am new to rooting, that I am getting a bit confused...particularly with going back to full, clean stock. Thanks in advance for any assistance.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #47  

    Default Re: [GUIDE] Restore Back to Clean Factory Stock

    Quote Originally Posted by bigguh View Post
    My question is regarding my current setup. I am running CM 10 nightly from 9/20. All seems well. However, I want to go back to stock for the official Jelly Bean OTA update (whenever that is). Do I lock the bootloader before I flash the stock rom? I feel like that would cause me to soft brick, which was enough of a pain to recover (not hard necessarily; version 1.3 of EZ Unlock did not actually unlock the bootlader...had to use version 1.1. or 1.2) from the 1st time. Also, is the ODIN process what is actually doing the "unrooting"? I think I have been reading so many things in recent days since I am new to rooting, that I am getting a bit confused...particularly with going back to full, clean stock. Thanks in advance for any assistance.
    You are correct on causing a soft brick. If you want to go back to full stock I believe that you are going to need to use ODIN at some point to restore the proper bootloader files so that you don't end up getting a softbrick. I am going to update the guide today on how to restore your device if you have an unlocked bootloader since when this was created we didn't have the ability to unlock the bootloader.

    If you want my honest opinion... these phones won't see JellyBean for a while, probably closer to when the Note 2 comes out and even then its going to a chance we wont see it right away.
  23. #48  

    Default Re: [GUIDE] Restore Back to Clean Factory Stock UPDATE 9/22

    Thanks. I guess my thing is that I really like this CM 10 ROM but I have no idea which nightly is the most stable version without many hiccups. For example, I use SwiftKey and since I flashed this ROM, I haven't been able to use the voice recognition feature via the keyboard. That's not at all a huge deal, but with all these nightlies, my head is spinning trying to keep up and figure out where I can settle or if I need to continuously flash ROMs.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #49  

    Default Re: [GUIDE] Restore Back to Clean Factory Stock UPDATE 9/22

    Quote Originally Posted by bigguh View Post
    Thanks. I guess my thing is that I really like this CM 10 ROM but I have no idea which nightly is the most stable version without many hiccups. For example, I use SwiftKey and since I flashed this ROM, I haven't been able to use the voice recognition feature via the keyboard. That's not at all a huge deal, but with all these nightlies, my head is spinning trying to keep up and figure out where I can settle or if I need to continuously flash ROMs.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    If nightlies aren't your thing then the M1 build is for you. Its a build that will updated monthly and run a little more stable. It worked pretty well on the GS3 but you have to remember you wont get certain features or bug fixes right away but when you do get them there will be a lot. It won't require you really to keep up as much as nightlies would and you get a more stable build.
  25. #50  

    Default Re: [GUIDE] Restore Back to Clean Factory Stock UPDATE 9/22

    Question. I've got the Samsung "custom unlock" screen when I boot my phone. I assume that means I have an unlocked bootloader.

    If I wanted to take my rooted phone back to stock, can I use EZ-Unlock 1.2 to lock it first and then follow the instructions for a locked bootloader, or do i HAVE to follow the instructions for an unlocked bootloader? Thanks.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions