Alert re: CM10 on GSIII and SD Card Formatting (With Solution)

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Just a word of caution for those of you who may be considering swapping the stock GSIII ROM for a recent CM10 build: you may have trouble with your removeable SD card afterwards. Specifically, as I've read in posts elsewhere, CM10 currently only supports FAT32 formatting, not the exFAT format used for larger SD cards (like my 64 GB microSDHC card). As a result, after installing CM10 and booting your GSIII, you may get an error message that says your card cannot be read and needs to be formatted. Worse still, you might get the same error message if you pop the card and put it into your computer to check it out.

DO NOT REFORMAT IT UNLESS YOU HAVE PREVIOUSLY BACKED UP ITS DATA. YOU WILL LOSE EVERYTHING ON IT, AND IT ISN'T NECESSARY TO DO SO.

Instead, you can follow the instructions in the above-linked post, or (if you're running a Windows machine) launch a command prompt (by running CMD), and use the good old DOS CHKDSK utility to fix the file system. For example, if your computer shows the "unreadable" SD card as drive letter F:, launch the command prompt and type:
"chkdsk f: /r"

The "/r" option tells Windows to repair any errors it finds. It may or may not be necessary, and you may or may not see the process end. In my case, after CHKDSK appeared to freeze, I closed the window and checked Windows Explorer. Sure enough, my microSDHC card was fully readable, with its files intact. *Whew.* Even better, once I restored my GSIII to the stock ROM, the fixed card worked fine.

Hope this helps. {Jonathan}

resu_ruot

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Alert re: CM10 on GSIII and SD Card Formatting (With Solution

Thank you. This exact thing happened to me and your solution helped.

resu_ruot

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site

Ok so maybe I was a little premature in saying that it fixed the problem. When I checked the card on my computer it wouldn't read it initially, but then I followed your steps and everything seemed to work. Once I placed the card back in the phone I get the same errors: Damaged SD Card. Any idea what I can do? I've tried formatting the card on the phone and it's not working either. The process seems to stick at "unmounting SD card".

resu_ruot

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site

If anyone is still interested I ended up reformatting my micro sd card to fat32. That was the only thing that seemed to work.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site

If anyone is still interested I ended up reformatting my micro sd card to fat32. That was the only thing that seemed to work.

yeah, if you're using CM10, you HAVE to format it as FAT32. That's the only way it's going to work as the sdcard is corrupted on boot if it's exFAT.

Stealthieone

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
yeah, if you're using CM10, you HAVE to format it as FAT32. That's the only way it's going to work as the sdcard is corrupted on boot if it's exFAT.

How do you do that on Windows 7 pc.. When I try to format I only get the exFAT option

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
How do you do that on Windows 7 pc.. When I try to format I only get the exFAT option

Google search/download/use the free app SDFormatter. Just don't accidently select your hard drive when using it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Stealthieone

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Google search/download/use the free app SDFormatter. Just don't accidently select your hard drive when using it.

Lol I already did that and that also formatted as exFAT. I've also tried swissknife and a couple others. Seems like no matter what I do, it's exFAT. Also sdformatter doesn't even let u select the format

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Lol I already did that and that also formatted as exFAT. I've also tried swissknife and a couple others. Seems like no matter what I do, it's exFAT. Also sdformatter doesn't even let u select the format

Search for a tool called GUIFormat. That's what I used to format my 64 gig card as FAT32.

Sent from my SGSIII

Reactions: Stealthieone

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site

Lol just trying to help you.

Reactions: Stealthieone

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital