Bootloader unlock question - probably stupid

kmr296

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Running rooted standard rom with touchwiz. Enjoying wifi tether, adfree, google now, the basics... Want to try another rom. I've read 200 posts and see I need to unlock bootloader. I know this is stupid, but why? I have clockwork mod recovery installed - why can't I just load my custom rom from .zip on my sd card and install the rom. I haven't unlocked the bootloader yet but just curious why.

So once I unlock the bootloader, do i have to reflash clockworkmod recovery? Why or why not? Having a long brain fart... I mean i've already backed up my stock rom from boot recovery and all goes well - what does the locked bootloader prevent?

I know I sound noob - go easy on me...

sparesr4sissies

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I think this is the part where I'm supposed to say "there are no stupid questions," but yes, there are stupid questions. Yours, however, is not one of those.

Before the developers figured out how to unlock the bootloader, they were using the kexec method to get around the unlocked bootloader. Now that the bootloader has been unlocked, developers are releasing ROMs that do not use the kexec method. You'll have to unlock your bootloader or basically it will brick your phone.

After you unlock the bootloader (which is VERY easy, using an app from the play store), you can flash all these new ROMs. You do not need to reflash clockworkmod recovery. It works with kexec and not-kexec ROMs.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
The reasoning behind unlocking your bootloader is so that you can now flash things to your phone that will alter the boot settings. For example, if you were to flash a kernel without unlocking your bootloader you will get the message saying you installed unsupported software and you need to take it to Verizon. While I see why Verizon did it (to cut down on warranty costs) its a little ridiculous that this is the only model of the GS3 that does have a locked bootloader.

If you want to flash any of the newest ROMs coming out you will need to unlock the bootloader since ROMs like CM10 will flash their custom kernel with the build and therefore altering your boot settings. Unlocking your bootloader has never been easier, there is an app that you can download off the play store and as long as you are rooted you can unlocked the bootloader with just a click of a button.

Kexec was a way to get around the bootloader which I give huge credit for. The guys who worked on that and got it to work are nothing short of amazing. However, now that we have an unlocked bootloader this method is outdated and will most likely no long be used.

kmr296

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
You guys are awesome. I def did root with kexec probalby a day or two after it came out. I knew what it did (cirumventing the locked-bootloader) but didn't know if i had to un-root and then re-root by some other method BEFORE unlocking the bootloader from that play store app.

I know i'm probably being too cautious but this is my company phone - 1 week in i cracked the screen and had to get a replacement - would prefer to not brick the second one lol.

Thanks guys!

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
You guys are awesome. I def did root with kexec probalby a day or two after it came out. I knew what it did (cirumventing the locked-bootloader) but didn't know if i had to un-root and then re-root by some other method BEFORE unlocking the bootloader from that play store app.

I know i'm probably being too cautious but this is my company phone - 1 week in i cracked the screen and had to get a replacement - would prefer to not brick the second one lol.

Thanks guys!

Well it would be really really hard to hard brick your phone. Unless you don't take any type of cautions or don't read how to properly do something you should be fine. Just always make sure that you have a backup ready to go to a stock ROM and have all the files needed in case you need to use ODIN.

kmr296

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. Haven't done it yet. First time for anything.

unlock is cake - just wanted to make sure you know? btw have no idea if it's normal but after unlocked restarted for the heck of it - hung a bit on the vzw 4g lte splash screen - scared the crap outta me - but all's well now, just a hiccup i guess... weird.

Thanks again. CM10 on lunch break....

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. Haven't done it yet. First time for anything.

unlock is cake - just wanted to make sure you know? btw have no idea if it's normal but after unlocked restarted for the heck of it - hung a bit on the vzw 4g lte splash screen - scared the crap outta me - but all's well now, just a hiccup i guess... weird.

Thanks again. CM10 on lunch break....

Honestly its possible, I haven't seen the Verizon boot logo in a while lol. In regards to CM10, if its a work phone and you need it work as much as possible I would avoid CM10 for now. They are nightly status and still working out a lot of bugs.

If you want something to flash that would be more stable, check out my ROM Listing guide in my signature and check out the ICS/TW Roms.

bpd138

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Hello,
A quick question about unlocking the bootloader;
I rooted my Verison galaxy SIII and installed the VZW GS3 EZ-unlock app and unlocked my bootloader. When I unlocked it, the phone said "that was easy". A day later I ran the EZ-unlock program and the unlock button is lowlighted and doesn't do anything. If I press the "Lock" option it doesn't speak anymore and flashes a message that the bootloader has been locked. Is there a way to tell if th ebootloader is locked or unlocked?
Okay two quick questions;
Any idea why EZ-unlock is acting strange?
Thanks for any help,
Willie

pwoznic

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I rooted last night and downloaded Rom Manager this morning. Do you have to unlock the bootloader before selecting Flash CWM Recovery in Rom Manager?

I downloaded the EZ unlocker and just opened it.. didn't press anything and it said my device status was unlocked. :s

Last edited:

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Hello,
A quick question about unlocking the bootloader;
I rooted my Verison galaxy SIII and installed the VZW GS3 EZ-unlock app and unlocked my bootloader. When I unlocked it, the phone said "that was easy". A day later I ran the EZ-unlock program and the unlock button is lowlighted and doesn't do anything. If I press the "Lock" option it doesn't speak anymore and flashes a message that the bootloader has been locked. Is there a way to tell if th ebootloader is locked or unlocked?
Okay two quick questions;
Any idea why EZ-unlock is acting strange?
Thanks for any help,
Willie

The app does act funny most of the time. I only used it unlock the bootloader and never touched it. However, if you are running it after rooting the new OTA update you are probably getting weird issues because the app appears not work properly with the new OTA.

I rooted last night and downloaded Rom Manager this morning. Do you have to unlock the bootloader before selecting Flash CWM Recovery in Rom Manager?

I downloaded the EZ unlocker and just opened it.. didn't press anything and it said my device status was unlocked. :s

That's very interesting. I have heard of issues with the new OTA causing problems with unlocked bootloaders or the process of unlocking them but never this. One way you can tell its unlocked is if you reboot, the first SAMSUNG logo flashes before the boot animation. If it flashes quickly, about a second or less, then you are unlocked... if not your are locked still.

pwoznic

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
The app does act funny most of the time. I only used it unlock the bootloader and never touched it. However, if you are running it after rooting the new OTA update you are probably getting weird issues because the app appears not work properly with the new OTA.

That's very interesting. I have heard of issues with the new OTA causing problems with unlocked bootloaders or the process of unlocking them but never this. One way you can tell its unlocked is if you reboot, the first SAMSUNG logo flashes before the boot animation. If it flashes quickly, about a second or less, then you are unlocked... if not your are locked still.

I hope I did not get the OTA installed stealthily. I never received requests to update my phone so I rooted yesterday and it completed flawlessly (then installed titanium, etc).. I froze SDM 1.0. Is there something in the device info that would indicate you got the OTA?

Edit: I just rebooted and the Samsung logo appeared for about 4 seconds and there was the word Custom with an unlocked icon (such as in this thread http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...etting-samsung-custom-unlock-screen-boot.html).. did not see that in my last reboot. :(

bpd138

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Come to think of it. EZ-Unlock only started acting weird after I tried to do the OTA update. At the time I tried the OTA update the bootloader was defineately unlocked. When I tried the OTA update it downloaded the update and began installing it. Then the phone rebooted and an Android icon with something on it's back showed up then it changed to a android laying down with a red thing on it's back. The phone continued to reboot and I got an error message saying the update failed. I have since frozen the SDM 1.0 so it can't accept OTA updates.
When I reboot the phone the Samsung logo, unlock symbol and "Custom" show up, so based on what I have read this means my phone isn't unlocked. The weird thing is when I run EZ-Unlock it says the phone is unlocked and the unlock button doesn't work. If I press lock it flashes a message saying that the bootloader is locked. All very odd. I tried uninstalling the app, clearing the cache's, rebooting after removing the battery and then reinstalling the EZ-Unlock app but it still acts the same. I'm thinking of flashing back to stock and and re-rooting the phone again to see if this will fix the problem. I am putting it off becuase I really don't want to go through the fuss of having to reinstall and set everything up again.
Love this site and all the info on it.
Take care,
Willie

kmr296

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to follow up on this. Been running M1 of the nightlies for SIII Verizon version for about a week and a half. I haven't found anything unstable at all (that I could recognize at least...) I'm 100% happy with it and honestly probably wont' be looking for the OTA update from Samsung for JellyBean. Probably my favorite thing of all is th battery time. I don't ahve any official test numbers or anything but I was plugging the phone in on the way from from my 8-5 job DAILY. I easily breeze through the day now with CM10 only plugging in at night. Loving CM10...

I haven't tried the nightlies yet - maybe they're alittle more unstable? Don't really want to flash daily anyway...

Appriciate all the input though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38