Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By kilofoxtrot
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default USB Drivers and Mac

    I feel pretty stupid but I know I am missing something obvious. I am attempting to root and unlock my VZW SG3 and I'm following along with the guide, specifically the "Casual" Method. I downloaded the drivers and all the files needed but when I go to install the drivers my Mac is telling me that the file is for a Windows PC and extracts them but the extracted files don't seem to contain anything useful. Thought maybe I didn't need them but when I plug my phone in to the Mac using the OEM cable, Casual isn't showing any connection between my phone and the Mac. Thanks in advance.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: USB Drivers and Mac

    Quote Originally Posted by Timmedic View Post
    I feel pretty stupid but I know I am missing something obvious. I am attempting to root and unlock my VZW SG3 and I'm following along with the guide, specifically the "Casual" Method. I downloaded the drivers and all the files needed but when I go to install the drivers my Mac is telling me that the file is for a Windows PC and extracts them but the extracted files don't seem to contain anything useful. Thought maybe I didn't need them but when I plug my phone in to the Mac using the OEM cable, Casual isn't showing any connection between my phone and the Mac. Thanks in advance.
    Which thread are you using? The one over on XDA? If so you are right, the download for the Samsung drivers are a .exe which is a Windows executable.

    According to this guide: How to Root Galaxy S3 on Mac OSX! | GalaxyS3Root.com

    There is no mentioning of drivers needing to be installed on a Mac. I will do some digging and get back to you.

    Edit: In the XDA thread, if you read the steps it does not say anywhere to install the drivers which I found odd. I guess when you get to step where you have to plug in if your Mac doesn't recognize the device then we can go from there but I would say try without installing the drivers for now and see what happens.
    Thanked by:
  3. #3  

    Default Re: USB Drivers and Mac

    I am a long time mac user..... what are drivers????



    ps.... you dont need them. Its magic!!!
  4. #4  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kilofox View Post
    I am a long time mac user..... what are drivers????



    ps.... you dont need them. Its magic!!!
    Just got a new Mac book Pro myself and starting find out all of these fun things for myself.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: USB Drivers and Mac

    Quote Originally Posted by creccaj1 View Post
    I guess when you get to step where you have to plug in if your Mac doesn't recognize the device then we can go from there but I would say try without installing the drivers for now and see what happens.
    First of all thanks to everyone, to answer your question My Mac does recognize the phone because it tries to transfer the pictures depending on which I select from the phone(MTP or PTP...think thats what they are). Casual isn't showing a connected status and that is where I'm having the issue. To answer your earlier question, Yes, Im using the XDA guide. I'll go ahead and delete those drivers then.
  6. #6  
    sparesr4sissies's Avatar

    Posts
    198 Posts
    ROM
    CM10

    Default Re: USB Drivers and Mac

    Just a guess, but do you have USB debugging turned on?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: USB Drivers and Mac

    Yes usb debugging on.
  8. #8  
    sparesr4sissies's Avatar

    Posts
    198 Posts
    ROM
    CM10

    Default Re: USB Drivers and Mac

    My next guess would be are you using the usb cable that came with your phone? I've heard of things not working correctly when people used cables from other devices.
    Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: USB Drivers and Mac

    Quote Originally Posted by sparesr4sissies View Post
    My next guess would be are you using the usb cable that came with your phone? I've heard of things not working correctly when people used cables from other devices.
    Another good idea but unfortunately I am doing that.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default Re: USB Drivers and Mac

    Just to update everyone, Finally broke down and rooted from a Windows PC. Thanks everyone for your help I greatly appreciate the effort.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: USB Drivers and Mac

    so did anyone find a way that i can root this SG3 using my Mac?
  12. #12  

    Default Re: USB Drivers and Mac

Posting Permissions