Selling my rooted/unlocked bootloader S3.... can I preserve what I have done for the buyer?

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
I have a rooted/unlocked bootloader S3 that I am selling today. Is there a way to preserve root and the unlocked bootloader for the person buying the phone?

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Sure. Just do a factory reset to wipe any personal data and remove your SD card and SIM...then sell phone as is, with unlocked bootloader.

Just make sure person buying phone knows that it is in that state.

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I forgot to mention that I froze SDM 1.0 to block the recent OTA nag. (I have a custom recovery so the OTA would not work anyway). Obviously the OTA Nag would be back because TiBackup would be gone. All frozen apps prior to the factory reset would be unfrozen correct?

Root would remain as well along with the unlocked BL?

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
That is a risk...hadn't thought of that. Obviously if SIM is removed, no data connection and the update won't be applied, but it may immediately nag the new buyer of the phone once activated.

You could try using this alternate method of blocking the OTA... it essentially does same thing, but *may* withstand a factory reset (I'm not sure Android has a "file protection" mechanism that restores changed system files during a reset or not...?). You'll just need Root Explorer or something of that nature to modify system files.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...k-verizon-otas-post-bootloader-rom-flash.html

Either way, I'd let the buyer the know the risks, and then proceed to sell it in the condition the buyer wants.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol