[ROM] AOKP Jelly Bean for Verizon GS3

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
[WARN]I do not take responsibility for any part of the creating, developing or promoting AOKP. All I am here to do is post a link to where you can find AOKP ROMs for your Verizon GS3. I also do not take any responsibility to what you do to your phone. You flash these ROMs at your will and there is always a risk when doing so. Please be careful and do so at your own risk.[/WARN]

[INFO]This will require that you have an unlocked bootloader on your GS3. If you have not unlocked your bootloader I suggest that you back out of this thread and follow the many guides to unlock your bootloader. If you do not unlock your bootloader you will get a softbrick. You also should have a knowledge on how to use your manual recovery. I do not endorse using ROM Manager or any other programs to flash ROMs.

This is a Jelly Bean AOSP based ROM. This means that you will not have ANY of the TouchWiz applications or theming items on the device. If you don't know what AOSP looks like, look at what a Galaxy Nexus looks like and that is pretty much it. The reason this requires and unlocked bootloader is because the kernel is changed because of Jelly Bean. That is why it is so important to emphasize unlocking your bootloader. [/INFO]

AOKP Jelly Bean Download Information
You are going to need two files when you are flashing this ROM. You are going to need the actual AOKP build file and the GAPPS files. These files are listed below: AOKP Builds: AOKP on GOO.IM AOKP Builds Alt Link: AOKP on Android Transfer GAPPS: Jelly Bean GAPPS Right now for the GS3 there are only two build, Build 2 and Build 3. AOKP does not do many nightly builds, if anything we will see builds every couple of days if not every couple weeks. They prefer to release builds less frequently but include more updates per build. This is as of recent history, in the ICS days they have nightly builds. We may see nightly builds, we may not.

Process of Flashing AOKP
This is my recommended process of flashing AOKP:
  1. Download AOKP/GAPPS and place them in an easy to find location
  2. Backup your apps with Titanium Backup if you use Tibu
  3. Reboot your device into recovery
  4. Perform a nandroid back up if you don't already have one set up
  5. Perform full wipe: Factory reset/wipe cache/wipe dalvik/wipe system
  6. Flash AOKP build
  7. Flash GAPPS
  8. Reboot and profit

[NOTE]The first boot will take longer than any other boot, don't panic. Let it sit and do its own thing and once it fully boots up you should be good to go and go through the activation process like usual. In Build 3 when I personally tested, there was no problems activating data service. Make sure that you IMEI numbers are all there and your phone number matches under the phone info tab of the settings and you should be good to go.[/NOTE]

[WARN]If you use Titanium Backup only restore USER APPS. Do not, I repeat DO NOT restore system data or for that matter any user installed app data unless you know what you are restoring. Restoring system data can result in force closes of Android System among other problems. I would recommend that you only restore your user installed applications.[/WARN]

[TIP]Some tweaks that I had to make since flashing AOKP Build 3 are as follows:
  • Change WiFi sleep policy to never, was defaulted to always
  • Change WiFi region code to United States
  • Uncheck avoid poor connections
  • Check Disable HW Overlays under Developer Options to stop occasional screen flickering

Aside from those tweaks, Build 3 has been a pretty solid build so far.
[/TIP]

[NOTE]If there are any questions or concerns please post them here. As a community we are here to help and will always be glad to lend a helping hand to solve any problems that you have. Note this though... these are not perfect builds. There are bound to be bugs and some things that don't work just right. Unfortunately its the nature of the beast of ROM flashing. If you have a phone that you need working 100% and have all the features working 100% I would recommend you flash a ROM that is ICS/TW based that is more like stock.[/NOTE]

Last edited:

jlibis

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Let me know if you can find an option to make the lock screen full screen(without status bar)...and if you can find out how to disable lock screen vibration. I could not stand those features on build 2(sounds stupid I know).

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Let me know if you can find an option to make the lock screen full screen(without status bar)...and if you can find out how to disable lock screen vibration. I could not stand those features on build 2(sounds stupid I know).

I'll play around with it and let you know.

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Hey - Total Android newb here, but trying to learn quickly. Long time Apple jailbreaker switched to the brighter side.

Anyway, I followed your exact directions but after the reboot I keep getting a pop up error saying "Unfortunately, the process android.process.acore has stopped."

Any idea what's going on here? Thank you!

*Also, I cannot open any apps. Just crashes shortly after launch saying "-this program- has stopped."

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Hey - Total Android newb here, but trying to learn quickly. Long time Apple jailbreaker switched to the brighter side.

Anyway, I followed your exact directions but after the reboot I keep getting a pop up error saying "Unfortunately, the process android.process.acore has stopped."

Any idea what's going on here? Thank you!

*Also, I cannot open any apps. Just crashes shortly after launch saying "-this program- has stopped."

What where you running before you flashed AOKP? Did you make sure that you did all the wipes properly and what recovery are you running? I prefer TWRP, has been the most reliable for me. Also, did you check the MD5 hash check?

jlibis

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
What where you running before you flashed AOKP? Did you make sure that you did all the wipes properly and what recovery are you running? I prefer TWRP, has been the most reliable for me. Also, did you check the MD5 hash check?

My guess is you did a titanium backup and you restored your apps with data. Sometimes you can get away with it and it will work but not a lot. What happens is it backs up your system apps and when you install a new ROM it also gives you those same apps. When you restore it essentially duplicates those and that is where the problem comes in. I'd suggest...just biting the bullet on this one and redownload all of your apps and don't restore data. What you can do is go through and restore things such as your texts, call history, etc and you should be fine, but you will have to factory reset and reinstall the ROM to get rid of the problem.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
My guess is you did a titanium backup and you restored your apps with data. Sometimes you can get away with it and it will work but not a lot. What happens is it backs up your system apps and when you install a new ROM it also gives you those same apps. When you restore it essentially duplicates those and that is where the problem comes in. I'd suggest...just biting the bullet on this one and redownload all of your apps and don't restore data. What you can do is go through and restore things such as your texts, call history, etc and you should be fine, but you will have to factory reset and reinstall the ROM to get rid of the problem.

Good point, honestly didn't think about that right away but I am still drinking my first cup of coffee lol. Thanks for hitting what I miss!

Yea, if you use Tibu to restore data for system applications then you probably need to reflash your ROM. I am going to clarify that in the OP. You should ONLY restore the user installed apps, I wouldn't restore user installed app data, but you can install certain data like if you use Swiftkey I restore my data on that.

jlibis

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Good point, honestly didn't think about that right away but I am still drinking my first cup of coffee lol. Thanks for hitting what I miss!

Yea, if you use Tibu to restore data for system applications then you probably need to reflash your ROM. I am going to clarify that in the OP. You should ONLY restore the user installed apps, I wouldn't restore user installed app data, but you can install certain data like if you use Swiftkey I restore my data on that.

Yea I would've had no idea but it happened to me the other day and I had to flash CM10 M1 like 5 times till I figured out the problem

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
My guess is you did a titanium backup and you restored your apps with data...

Exactly right. And this is exactly what caused the problem. I did a factory reset, cleared all caches, and fixed permissions. After doing this I only restored the apps from Titanium, not the system data. I haven't had any errors as of yet. If anyone else has the same issue, doing so should remedy the problem.

Thanks again for all of your help!

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm a little hesitant to try AOSP because of the potential loss of IMEI. I know it can be backed up but still, it might result in losing it.

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
One question - Now that I have JB with AOKP (I'm sure I'm totally going to botch all of the terminology here...) I no longer have a music player. I could care less... I use Spotify. BUT, I have no idea how to set a custom ringtone now. At least without downloading an app to do it. Any ideas?

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

Hello Creccaj1 - Can you elaborate on why you can restore the user apps, but not its corresponding data? Have you encountered problems in the past? The reason I have held back from flashing ROMS is I rely on my phone heavily for business. I am however itching to at the very least try a stable ROM, but what is holding me back is needing to backup (specifically my email data); I would want to back up Aquamail + data.

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Yet another new problem. Tried to set a custom ringtone for a contact and doing so has rendered my phone almost completely useless. Every second an error message pops up saying "com.android.phone" has stopped. I can't get to ROM manager to boot in recovery, can't get to settings, can't get to anything. Please help... This is my DD and I don't want to go back to my iPhone just yet... lol

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
One question - Now that I have JB with AOKP (I'm sure I'm totally going to botch all of the terminology here...) I no longer have a music player. I could care less... I use Spotify. BUT, I have no idea how to set a custom ringtone now. At least without downloading an app to do it. Any ideas?

Yet another new problem. Tried to set a custom ringtone for a contact and doing so has rendered my phone almost completely useless. Every second an error message pops up saying "com.android.phone" has stopped. I can't get to ROM manager to boot in recovery, can't get to settings, can't get to anything. Please help... This is my DD and I don't want to go back to my iPhone just yet... lol

The only way that I know how to do it on a stock ICS/JB ROM is through the Contacts listing but I have not done that nor do I have the need to do it... I will test this a bit later today when I get some work done and let you know if I have the same problem. It is possible that it may be an issue with the ROM since they are still "nightly" builds but should be pretty stable.

Hello Creccaj1 - Can you elaborate on why you can restore the user apps, but not its corresponding data? Have you encountered problems in the past? The reason I have held back from flashing ROMS is I rely on my phone heavily for business. I am however itching to at the very least try a stable ROM, but what is holding me back is needing to backup (specifically my email data); I would want to back up Aquamail + data.

I say that simply because I don't want someone restoring all of their app data and wondering why it doesn't work when it gets set up and comes online with their hair on fire asking why it didn't work. Graphic I know, but it has happened. You can restore data to certain apps that you know will work, myself I restore data for Tapatalk, Swiftkey and games. I am not sure about Aquamail, personally I have never used it but as long as it is not a system application you should be okay to restore data on it.

The way I look at it is like this... You just installed a new OS phone... ICS to Jelly bean. Now, Jelly Bean is a different OS, may not have huge differences but enough to warrant that each program might not respond in the same way that it did with ICS. Take for example HaxSync. The program that worked with ICS to sync Facebook pictures worked great on ICS but didn't work unless you installed a work around in Jelly Bean. That is just one example and the first one that comes to mind but its for reasons like that I don't like to restore too much application data simple because I am overcautious and like you I need to my phone working at all times. My recommendations to try it is, back up everything, make a nandroid of the ROM before you restore data and after try restoring data on Aquamail to make sure that it works.

jlibis

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

Try whatever you can to get to recovery. This was an issue that was chalked over a ton on XDA. It is hit or miss where it happens, but you should be able to get to recovery doing a battery pull and using the button combo at reboot.

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I say that simply because I don't want someone restoring all of their app data and wondering why it doesn't work when it gets set up and comes online with their hair on fire asking why it didn't work. Graphic I know, but it has happened. You can restore data to certain apps that you know will work, myself I restore data for Tapatalk, Swiftkey and games. I am not sure about Aquamail, personally I have never used it but as long as it is not a system application you should be okay to restore data on it.

The way I look at it is like this... You just installed a new OS phone... ICS to Jelly bean. Now, Jelly Bean is a different OS, may not have huge differences but enough to warrant that each program might not respond in the same way that it did with ICS. Take for example HaxSync. The program that worked with ICS to sync Facebook pictures worked great on ICS but didn't work unless you installed a work around in Jelly Bean. That is just one example and the first one that comes to mind but its for reasons like that I don't like to restore too much application data simple because I am overcautious and like you I need to my phone working at all times. My recommendations to try it is, back up everything, make a nandroid of the ROM before you restore data and after try restoring data on Aquamail to make sure that it works.

I too am overcautious, thanks for the feedback and suggestions.

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Try whatever you can to get to recovery. This was an issue that was chalked over a ton on XDA. It is hit or miss where it happens, but you should be able to get to recovery doing a battery pull and using the button combo at reboot.

Used the "three button combo" to get into recovery and did a factory reset, wipe cache, wipe dalvik, fix permissions, etc. Fixed the issue. And I totally understand that this OS is still in "nightly" form so there will be bugs. I just didn't want to have a vegetable phone =p lol. Thanks again for all of your help!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon