Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default List of ROMs for Verizon GS3?

Where can I find a list of popular ROMs for the Verizon GS3? All I know of are AOKP and CM. Are there others that are popular with people? Would I benefit from waiting until Jelly Bean is officially released before flashing a custom ROM? What is a kernel?

Default Re: List of ROMs for Verizon GS3?

Look at the thread in my signature. Lists ROMs broken up into ICS and JB.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

JB ROMs incorporate all of the functions of JB such as 60 fps and triple sync buffering?

Quote Originally Posted by jamesino View Post
    JB ROMs incorporate all of the functions of JB such as 60 fps and triple sync buffering?
    If the ROM is based off JB source then yes. AOKP/CM10 are based on JB so I would assume yes.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Thanks! And do all those work on the verizon GS3?

Quote Originally Posted by jamesino View Post
    Thanks! And do all those work on the verizon GS3?
    By all of those do you mean the ones posted here - http://forums.androidcentral.com/ver...ing-guide.html? If so then yes.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but it's a very much related question... (If I should create my own thread, please let me know and accept my apologies).

So I look through these lists and find a few ROMs I could choose from.
    I have tried 3 or 4 ROMs on my old Fascinate and will upgrade to the S3 in January.
    Some features I already know I will want:

- No bloatware or Verizon/Samsung stuff that I don't want (preferably also no pre-installed Facebook)
    - Stability (coming from a crappy Fascinate that took me a few ROMs to finally get to work properly, that's my main concern)
    - Battery enhancements (I see those listed in a few ROM descriptions)
    - Silent boot animation (don't care so much what it shows as long as it won't wake me up in the middle of the night with a random reboot)

These are the main reasons I already know I'll install a new ROM on my phone the day I get it :-)

So ... how do I pick which ROM is the "best" (or rather best suited) for my situation?
    Is there a quick list created by someone who has TRIED them all and written reviews for each, or something?

Global Posts
    4,297 Global Posts
    Carrier
    TNTC

Quote Originally Posted by semmelbroesel View Post
    Sorry to hijack this thread, but it's a very much related question... (If I should create my own thread, please let me know and accept my apologies).

So I look through these lists and find a few ROMs I could choose from.
    I have tried 3 or 4 ROMs on my old Fascinate and will upgrade to the S3 in January.
    Some features I already know I will want:

- No bloatware or Verizon/Samsung stuff that I don't want (preferably also no pre-installed Facebook)
    - Stability (coming from a crappy Fascinate that took me a few ROMs to finally get to work properly, that's my main concern)
    - Battery enhancements (I see those listed in a few ROM descriptions)
    - Silent boot animation (don't care so much what it shows as long as it won't wake me up in the middle of the night with a random reboot)

These are the main reasons I already know I'll install a new ROM on my phone the day I get it :-)

So ... how do I pick which ROM is the "best" (or rather best suited) for my situation?
    Is there a quick list created by someone who has TRIED them all and written reviews for each, or something?

- No AOSP Roms (i.e. CM10 or AOKP) will contain any Verizon/Samsung "bloatware". Most Touchwiz (TW) based ROMs will also have most *Verizon* bloatware removed as well, although they will still obviously have the required Samsung components -- just check the OP in the associated thread.

- For best stability, it's probably gonna come from a TW-based ICS ROM. "CleanROM" is great example of a very popular, very stable ROM, but there are others out there to choose from. Many of the other ROMs, especially JB ROMs, are still in active development stages.

- Most of these "battery enhancements" refer to tweaks in the kernel. Your best bet is to read through the threads associated with the ROM to see what others have to say. In my opinion however, anything you do to noticeably increase battery life (without changing your daily device-use habits), ultimately usually requires a reduction in performance...otherwise, those "enhancements" really don't amount to much of a noticeable difference.

- Some have the option to remove boot animation, again, just check the OP of the ROM thread.

Thanks so much! :-)
    That'll help a lot in narrowing things down.

If you can't stand touchwiz like me, then ty codefireX. It's based on CM10.