Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanROM

Default Is there a point to underclocking a CPU anymore?

When I had my Eris this was a great way to save battery life and it proved a huge improvement on my Incredible 2. However as dual-core processors become more battery efficient and Android gets smarter is this even that necessary anymore? I'm beginning to wonder if it's something we're all just used to doing and just will keeping doing it because why not when it really serves no greater purpose.

Default Re: Is there a point to underclocking a CPU anymore?

Although it's definitely doable, no one is really doing it with the GS3. Yes, it saves battery, but you essentially answered your own question. These devices manage battery life extremely well. It would make a difference, but isn't necessary.

Sent From My Rooted/Modded SGSIII - If I've helped you please click 'Thanks'!
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    1,924 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP B4 JB/Franco M5

Underclocking is great when you have profiles setup. I have my phone set to Underclock my cpu to 350mhz when the screen turns is off and goes back to normal when it's on. Great way to help save battery life when phone is not in use

Not really no. Have found no huge battery life improvement from underclocking the GS3 and depending on what ROM you are running it could make it worse from the ROM demanding more juice at times. I have had the best battery life you just leave it the way it is, unlike tinkering with settings like I have done in the past.

Well, I've got a moto g. With the optimus kernel, I'm able to downclock to 96KHz and a max of 750MHz with an intellidemand governor and intelliplug. I'm now able to get twice the time on my phone on 100% charge.

No doubt, it's still pretty responsive