Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Rooting/unrooting questions. I have rooted before

Like it says I have rooted before, but that was on my OG Droid, and I wasn't getting updates from Verizon, nor did I care about them if they did come. I was flashing a new ROM every few days.

What my question is: the jb release coming out from Verizon, whenever that may be, is not coming fast enough and I want to just flash it.

But when the update does come out, and I'm rooted and on another ROM, can I flash back to stock, unroot, and install the update? Don't get me wrong I LOOOVE me some custom ROMs, but I use my phone for work ALOT so I need consistency.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Default Re: Rooting/unrooting questions. I have rooted before

Quote Originally Posted by R3CKL355 420 View Post
    Like it says I have rooted before, but that was on my OG Droid, and I wasn't getting updates from Verizon, nor did I care about them if they did come. I was flashing a new ROM every few days.

What my question is: the jb release coming out from Verizon, whenever that may be, is not coming fast enough and I want to just flash it.

But when the update does come out, and I'm rooted and on another ROM, can I flash back to stock, unroot, and install the update? Don't get me wrong I LOOOVE me some custom ROMs, but I use my phone for work ALOT so I need consistency.

Yes you can flash back easily to stock and get your update to official JB whenever that will come out. When you start the rooting process, once your phone is rooted and you installed a custom recovery, just do a backup in your recovery of the stock rooted OS without deleting any of the Verizon bloat or anything like that. That way, once the update has gone live you can flash your backup and wait to get the OTA.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks a ton man!!! That was the only thing really holding me back, and that's kinda how I figured it worked. Do I need to unroot to get the ota or just return back to unmodified stock rooted and hit update?

Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

How to Unroot and return to stock if you need it: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ver...ml#post1976190
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks man, it's good having that peace of mind, now I am rooted!