Is ROM Manager still good?

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Over been rooted for awhile and thinking of trying out Cyanogen 10. I haven't yet installed CWM or any custom ROMs on my S3.

However back in the day I was running my EVO 4G with CM7 and using ROM Manager as my software to backup, recover and flash.

Is that still the way I would want to go, or are there new, better ways? Looking mostly for ease of use, but haven't kept up on the flashing scene lately.

lou1210

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Do a search for rooting in the forums. There are complete steps. You can still use cwm ROM manager but the process is a little different. I came from a thunderbolt and almost bricked my phone. The developers here are awesome and have worked out multiple ways to root and flash.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
I still use it specifically for flashing CWM. Saves time, especially if you already own it.

Sent From My Rooted/Modded SGSIII - If I've helped you please click 'Thanks'!

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
No. Simple answer. I have heard (and helped) to many that have bricked their phones because of ROM Manager. If you must use ROM Manager the only thing that I would say you could do with ROM Manager is flash the newest CWM Recovery. Even then I wouldn't do personally because I prefer TWRP. Don't want to turn this into a debate, just adding my 2 cents but my opinion remains the same and will always. If you can avoid ROM Manager, do it.

nexusisneecesary

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
No. Simple answer. I have heard (and helped) to many that have bricked their phones because of ROM Manager. If you must use ROM Manager the only thing that I would say you could do with ROM Manager is flash the newest CWM Recovery. Even then I wouldn't do personally because I prefer TWRP. Don't want to turn this into a debate, just adding my 2 cents but my opinion remains the same and will always. If you can avoid ROM Manager, do it.

I use TWRP as well, and I think that IMO it's not better not saying their is anything wrong with ROM manager but like he said if you can use TWRP...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys. Sounds like TWRP us the way to go. Now to do some research on ROMs and what I'll lose it gain by switching to a non-Touchwiz one. Don't really want to lose burst mode for the camera and a coupler other things so might just find a jellybean based Touchwiz one.

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I would avoid ROM Manager altogether. I've not had any problems at all with CWM recovery on this device, but ROM Manager has ruined quite a few Android devices or put lazy people in a much more uncomfortable place trying to fix a real issue that it created. The developers are not supportive and that's not cool when you're paying for an app that they advertise as compatible with any Android device.