Titanium.Backup and Root

Wise.945

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Last night I rooted with help from the sticky. Afterward I purchased Titanium Backup Pro to backup my apps and freeze a lot of bloat. Now, I want to flash CleanROM but since apps can't be moved to an external SD card will Titanium Backup be deleted (including all the information with it)? I'm okay with losing all my texts messages and such but still want my apps. Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Last night I rooted with help from the sticky. Afterward I purchased Titanium Backup Pro to backup my apps and freeze a lot of bloat. Now, I want to flash CleanROM but since apps can't be moved to an external SD card will Titanium Backup be deleted (including all the information with it)? I'm okay with losing all my texts messages and such but still want my apps. Thanks!

You don't have to lose your text messages either!

If you used the sticky here to guide you through root, I'm assuming you installed ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM Recovery)? If you're not sure, you can download "ROM Manager" to check what version of Recovery you are running (I don't advise using ROM Manager for much else).

When you do data wipes in CWM, it won't touch your SD card (/mnt/extSdCard) or your internal storage (/mnt/sdcard), so any backups you take with Titanium will survive the process and be available to use after you install a new ROM. (I think there's a option to send your backup to Dropbox if really want insurance, but I've never done that).

Check out this guide a wrote a while ago about backing up and restoring when installing ROMs, I think you'll find it useful:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/th...store-apps-data-when-installing-new-roms.html

Some of the data in there is a little dated (and written for the Thunderbolt), but for the most part it's still all relevant. "My Backup" is a great app you can use to backup SMS/MMS messages as well as a few other things. My Backup also does app backups as well, I still prefer to use Titanium for that....just how I do it.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Oh, and just to clarify, Titanium backup will be deleted, however the actual backup data it creates will still be safe and can be used once TiBU is reinstalled on the new ROM.

Contrary to some popular beliefs, moving apps 2 SD should never really be about preserving apps across different ROMs either -- it was simply a way to offload larger apps to removable storage because older Android phones had very limited internal storage space. Even if you could move apps to SD, I'd still recommend doing a fresh install of all of them after flashing a ROM.

Wise.945

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the information. I used option 2 on the sticky so I avoided ODIN and all that, but just downloaded ROM Manager via Google Play. I still haven't unlocked the bootloader, so I'll make sure to backup everything prior to that. Thanks again!

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the information. I used option 2 on the sticky so I avoided ODIN and all that, but just downloaded ROM Manager via Google Play. I still haven't unlocked the bootloader, so I'll make sure to backup everything prior to that. Thanks again!

No problem.

One thing to keep in mind is that on *some* devices (I've never had to try on the S3), if you do a data wipe (factory reset) using the STOCK recovery, it will wipe your internal memory partition, including the internal "SD card" (/mnt/sdcard). CWM does not, but that's just something to be aware of in general.

Once you've unlocked your bootloader and installed CWM, you should be good to go installing ROMs. Don't forget to use the backup option in CWM as well prior to wiping/flashing anything so you can always go back if something doesn't go right!

Wise.945

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Ah man I wish I would have known this last night. I thought I covered all my bases when I went to flash a ROM but evidently I didn't install CWM (I assumed it was included in the EZ Recovery app).

I posted the following in the ROM flashing sticky. Could you guide me for my next step?

"So I rooted, used TiBa and My Backup to backup apps and data, then backed up the IMEI. Afterward I downloaded EZ-Unlock, unlocked the bootloader, and EZ recovery and first flashed the CWM followed by the TWMP (not sure if that's the correct acronym but it's what everyone recommended). Afterward I booted in to the bootloader and did the first two steps (factory reset then clear cache) before I realized "advanced" was not an option. I just decided to pull the battery and once again boot into the bootloader. Again, nothing had changed so I just rebooted to make sure my phone still worked. Now, it booted in to the stock ROM and I've since lost root. Anyone have any suggestions? On my sd card I still have CleanROM but it appears everything else is gone. Please help!"

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Ah man I wish I would have known this last night. I thought I covered all my bases when I went to flash a ROM but evidently I didn't install CWM (I assumed it was included in the EZ Recovery app).

I posted the following in the ROM flashing sticky. Could you guide me for my next step?

"So I rooted, used TiBa and My Backup to backup apps and data, then backed up the IMEI. Afterward I downloaded EZ-Unlock, unlocked the bootloader, and EZ recovery and first flashed the CWM followed by the TWMP (not sure if that's the correct acronym but it's what everyone recommended). Afterward I booted in to the bootloader and did the first two steps (factory reset then clear cache) before I realized "advanced" was not an option. I just decided to pull the battery and once again boot into the bootloader. Again, nothing had changed so I just rebooted to make sure my phone still worked. Now, it booted in to the stock ROM and I've since lost root. Anyone have any suggestions? On my sd card I still have CleanROM but it appears everything else is gone. Please help!"

It's been too long since I rooted to remember if there is an option with the EZ-Unlock app to install custom recovery. For what it's work, you want to install *EITHER* CWM (ClockWorkMod Recovery) or TWRP (Team Win Recovery Project). I've never used TWRP, which is why I mentioned CWM in my post, but some prefer it -- either should allow you to do what you want to do...the key is to make sure that have replaced the STOCK recovery partition. You don't need both...just one or the other.

When you boot into recovery, at the top of the screen, you should see a name and version at the top, i.e. "ClockworkMod Recovery v. x.x.x.x".

Assuming you are rooted and got your bootloader unlocked, you can use the ROM Manager app to flash the latest version of CWM directly from your phone.

Wise.945

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Pete and jaj. I ended up rerooting, downloaded Titanium Backup to save my apps, downloaded ROM Manager, then flashed a new ROM. So far, I couldn't be happier with my decision and it was certainly easier than when I rooted my Thunderbolt. Thanks again all.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital