Want to root to transfer game data... Please help!!!

goceltics34

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I just received a replacement S3 from Asurion. I have games on the phone and I want to transfer the game data to the new S3. (Tons of hours of gameplay). From what I understand, I need to root in order to backup this data.

Is it too late to root the Verizon S3 or can I still do it? Is it relatively easy to do?

Since I have to send the broken S3 back to Asurion, I don't want them to know that the phone has been rooted?

Please help this noobie.

Thanks

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I just received a replacement S3 from Asurion. I have games on the phone and I want to transfer the game data to the new S3. (Tons of hours of gameplay). From what I understand, I need to root in order to backup this data.

Is it too late to root the Verizon S3 or can I still do it? Is it relatively easy to do?

Since I have to send the broken S3 back to Asurion, I don't want them to know that the phone has been rooted?

Please help this noobie.

Thanks

First off, let me just warn that you will have to root both devices to get this to work.

Second, you'll only be able to do this *IF* your old phone has NOT been updated to JellyBean. If the phone has been updated, I believe there's no way to root without having to wipe data, which would defeat the purpose. (Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong here -- I was rooted well before the update, so I haven't actually tried first hand to see if this is the case).

If you're still running ICS on the old phone, you can temporary by simply completing Method 2 of this guide up to step 7:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...ck-bootloader-verizon-galaxy-s3-sch-i535.html
Once that's done, you'll have root and can backup app files and data.
Just do a factory reset when you're done (which you were gonna do anyway before sending back), and that should remove the root access.

Again, if you're running JB, I'm not sure what options you have.