Warranty, Rooting, Flashing, and ROM Counter

mdkp

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
I have seen a lot of information on these subjects, but I have not yet found the one concise place that explains what to do. Also the posts for different methods mention different build levels. I want to make sure that If I do anything it will work for the last OTA VRBLK3. I have root and flashed mnay many ROMs starting with Windows Mobile and on my previous DroidX, but none of those had any counters to worry about, and there were not so many different methods and different build levels.

If rooting can in any way void my warranty, which I understand they can only tell via the trip counter then it is NOT worth it in my mind.

So here are my questions;
1. Does rooting update the trip counter? How do I know for sure that it has or has not?
2. For the latest OTA (VRBLK3), what is the least risky root method? Does that method update the trip counter?
3. I understand that to flash a ROM you MUST unlock the bootloader. Does unlocking the bootloader update the trip counter? What is the least risky method to unlock the bootloader?
4. Does installing ClockworkMod update the trip counter?
5. Once you root, unlock, and install CWM - not custom ROM's yet - how do you undo all of that and ensure the trip counter is back at 0? Can you reset it back to 0 without undoing the root, CWM, and bootloader unlock?
6. If I flash a custom ROM, that WILL update the trip counter. What do you do in the event of a hardware problem preventing you from returning to stock?
7. Finally what is the simplest method to return to 100% stock (including a 0 trip counter)?

Thank you. For some reason, the more reading I do the more confusing this seems to be. I have rooted every other device I've owned (DroidX before and I also have a Galaxy Tab Plus 7) so I can at least to backups and get rid of ads.

Thank you for your indulgence, but I'm hoping having all of thiss info in one place will help others also. I just got my S3 about 3 weeks ago.

c4manceph

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Here is the method I used > [HOWTO] [ROOT] [ODIN] No Tripping Flash Counter - Root + [TWRP] - Updated 12.09.2012 - xda-developers
If you manage to trip the flash counter then you can use an app on the market called triangles away. (I have not had any issues while flashing ROMs or Kernels)
How to determine if you have tripped the flash counter is as simple as a google search. Look it up.....promise that it will be simple.
Return to stock is here > [How To] Reset your phone in order to return to Verizon(Updated 12/11/2012) - xda-developers

mdkp

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
I have seen some methods for rooting without tripping the flash counter. For example the guide here
Root Verizon Galaxy S3 I535 Without Tripping Flash Counter | Android Jinn

This is for an older revision of the firmware however, and has you flash PDA. Modem, CSC, and PIT. Is there a method for VRBLK3 that ONLY updates the PDA portion. I think flashing any of the other parts, except through a Verizon upgrade is not worth the risk of hard-bricking your phone?

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I have seen a lot of information on these subjects, but I have not yet found the one concise place that explains what to do. Also the posts for different methods mention different build levels. I want to make sure that If I do anything it will work for the last OTA VRBLK3. I have root and flashed mnay many ROMs starting with Windows Mobile and on my previous DroidX, but none of those had any counters to worry about, and there were not so many different methods and different build levels.

If rooting can in any way void my warranty, which I understand they can only tell via the trip counter then it is NOT worth it in my mind.

So here are my questions;
1. Does rooting update the trip counter? How do I know for sure that it has or has not?
2. For the latest OTA (VRBLK3), what is the least risky root method? Does that method update the trip counter?
3. I understand that to flash a ROM you MUST unlock the bootloader. Does unlocking the bootloader update the trip counter? What is the least risky method to unlock the bootloader?
4. Does installing ClockworkMod update the trip counter?
5. Once you root, unlock, and install CWM - not custom ROMs yet - how do you undo all of that and ensure the trip counter is back at 0? Can you reset it back to 0 without undoing the root, CWM, and bootloader unlock?
6. If I flash a custom ROM, that WILL update the trip counter. What do you do in the event of a hardware problem preventing you from returning to stock?
7. Finally what is the simplest method to return to 100% stock (including a 0 trip counter)?

Thank you. For some reason, the more reading I do the more confusing this seems to be. I have rooted every other device I've owned (DroidX before and I also have a Galaxy Tab Plus 7) so I can at least to backups and get rid of ads.

Thank you for your indulgence, but I'm hoping having all of thiss info in one place will help others also. I just got my S3 about 3 weeks ago.

First of all, any time you decide to take steps to root, unlock the bootloader, or install custom recovery ON ANY PHONE you take the risk of voiding your warranty, per the terms set forth in it. Often, you can judge the overall severity of this risk based on the procedures outlined, and the ability to return to a pre-voided state. Most of the root methods for this device are pretty well tested and reliable, but if it truly is "not worth it in your mind" to risk voiding warranty, you may want to consider turning back now, because that risk will always be present.

See this thread here: [GUIDE] Root for Jelly Bean OTA ***UPDATED 12/25*** - xda-developers
This is the method for rooting IF you have the latest software version (VRBLK3) installed.
If you are still running an older version, see here: [GUIDE] Jelly Bean Factory Image (Root/Recovery/Unlocked Bootloader) *UPDATED 12/12* - xda-developers
(Second link has a decent FAQ section as well, which you may want to check out even if you are using the new method -- answers quite a few of your questions).

If you're still reading this and still thinking about moving forward, take this advice: Read all steps carefully before doing a single thing! Read through the posts on each thread to get an idea of any problems that may arise (if any). If there's something laid out in the instructions that you don't understand, ask someone here to help clarify it for you.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084