Ok, so, is there currently is NO all Mac way to root the galaxy s3 on jellybean?

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Hello, just making sure I haven't missed a step or process somewhere. I have the ota stock build of jellybean 4.1.1 on my Verizon galaxy s3.

I've looked through several methods, from different websites, and it will either be for Windows only, or the international s3 or for ics.

So no CASUAL, or anything else that I saw.
Heimdall apparently does not work on the US s3's.

I even tried to root with Odin on Windows, but I had some problems with Odin (when it says it was done, apparently it wasn't done, and I could not get clockwork mod to flash)

I would try it again, but it wasn't on my pc, but a friend's, so it is a pain to schedule a time to get over there. I would much prefer to have all the tools on my person, etc. It helps me to understand the process better.

So, am I correct?
Any way to use terminal and adb?

Please let me know if I am wrong, I would love to be!

jpent

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
I used my Mac with a vmware install of Windows 7. Worked perfect. When you plug on the usb, it asks do you want to connect to Mac or Windows.

Saves having to be friendly with windows users

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

nolittdroid

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
I've never been able to root successfully with a Mac. Mine is apparently so old, Chrome won't make any updates for it. I know it's tough to get Win access, but if you're having a trouble rooting from the Windows computer, it always helps to have a friend with you for an extra set of eyes!

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Thanks.
Vmware? Virtual machine software? Is it free?

I got a lead about using the new release for heimdall, 1.4.1. I will post if it works!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Thanks.
Vmware? Virtual machine software? Is it free?

I got a lead about using the new release for heimdall, 1.4.1. I will post if it works!

I'm not familiar with VMware's offerings for Mac, but it's usually the Windows license that will cost you, not the virtualization software.

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
okay, i am hoping to not have to buy windows. I hear that Heimdall's new version might be able to work soon, and that CASUAL might be updated soon to allow for root again.

i might wait for that.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
okay, i am hoping to not have to buy windows. I hear that Heimdall's new version might be able to work soon, and that CASUAL might be updated soon to allow for root again.

i might wait for that.

If it were a huge deal, I believe Windows gives you 30 days to activate before it cripples itself (I could be wrong about the amount of time, since I deal primarily with corporate VLK customers), but you probably could run a windows VM without a license for at least long enough to root your phone if it was *THAT* important to you.

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
thanks, i could try that.

for me, it's about having the tools on hand to diagnose a problem w/ the phone, unroot, reroot, etc. I didn't want to have to go to my friend's house every single time.
but, that is a good solution that you suggested for a quick thing.

as it is, probably most of the problems that my phone is having, over heating, random restarts, draining battery, etc, can be fixed w/ a factory reset. and, w/ Carbon back up, I can back up everything w/o needing to root, so I am probably going to go to that route for now.

- - - Updated - - -

thanks, i could try that.

for me, it's about having the tools on hand to diagnose a problem w/ the phone, unroot, reroot, etc. I didn't want to have to go to my friend's house every single time.
but, that is a good solution that you suggested for a quick thing.

as it is, probably most of the problems that my phone is having, over heating, random restarts, draining battery, etc, can be fixed w/ a factory reset. and, w/ Carbon back up, I can back up everything w/o needing to root, so I am probably going to go to that route for now.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I used my Mac with a vmware install of Windows 7. Worked perfect. When you plug on the usb, it asks do you want to connect to Mac or Windows.

Saves having to be friendly with windows users

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Yes, works perfectly for me too. I just suggested on the Mac Root sticky to try Mobile ODIN Pro as an option. Don't have to invest in or configure Parallels, Fusion, or Bootcamp.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
If it were a huge deal, I believe Windows gives you 30 days to activate before it cripples itself (I could be wrong about the amount of time, since I deal primarily with corporate VLK customers), but you probably could run a windows VM without a license for at least long enough to root your phone if it was *THAT* important to you.
Nice idea. Another option for people to consider is to buy a known good used Windows 7 PC that has the original OS install medium with it. You can set it up with RDP access and from Mac use VNC or RDP app. If you are a student then in my experience you can get Windows products through your school for a nominal fee. In this case just configure Bootcamp if you don't want to purchase Parallels or Fusion.

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Yes, works perfectly for me too. I just suggested on the Mac Root sticky to try Mobile ODIN Pro as an option. Don't have to invest in or configure Parallels, Fusion, or Bootcamp.

Can you root on your phone using Mobile Odin Pro? Without a computer?

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
The link shared by DroidXcon has some nice options, as does this thread and this http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...98722-mac-root-tool-s3-casual-verizon-s3.html

I'm not aware of a pure all Mac solution for Jellybean. The Casual options worked fine for me with Ice Cream Sandwich. As others have suggested here, on XDA, and various other sites - Heimdall may be something else to consider. It's on my radar. What I've not had time to research and digest is if Heimdall will work for the Verizon Galaxy S3.

Mobile Odin Pro, while not an all Mac solution, may be an option that does not involve the Mac. If someone can investigate it may break some new trails...

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
If I can root my phone with motochopper, can I unlock my Verizon galaxy s3's bootloader with mobile Odin pro?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa