Galaxy Nexus to S3

pheatton

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
I currently have the Nexus on VZW, I really love plain, clean Android. I have been thinking about selling my spare Rezound and picking up a S3. My one and only issue is that the S3 runs Samsung's Nature UX and after running clean Android I would like to run a ROM that is clean. Im thinking of using CM10 as its the most popular it seems. Reading through the rooting/unlocking thread it doesn't seem to hard, the Nexus was really simple. How does CM10 run on the S3? I'm looking for a stable ROM that doesn't need tweaking/updating a lot, that's the other thing I like about the Nexus clean Android and no issues.

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I am getting to the status of cheerleader here, but give Carbon ROM a try. It is clean, up to date, has Goo.im integration and updates, is themeable and rock solid and stable. 125Mb... how's that for lean and mean?

I also have tried CM10, PACman, AOKP, PA and of course a couple of TouchWiz based ROMs. TouchWiz is not for me; AOSP is where it is. I compared the stock JB on Nexus 4 and CarbonROM the other day and they are similar except that the Nexus JB is missing all sorts of features and customizability that Carbon has.

pheatton

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
Other than the customizing possibilities is there any other reason to use CarbonROM over CM10, less bugs/more stable. I'm totally fine with stock Android.

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
To me, it's just... cleaner. The settings interface has a much shorter learning curve than a CM, with most of the features you might want. I never really used most of the tweaks available in CM. And the Linaro build is super stable and quick as all.

Comparing it to stock JB is just an easy win. But the truth is: Only you can decide which you like better. So all that I am here to do is suggest that you try and decide for yourself.

awilisch

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
I downloaded Carbon and liked it for the most part. The two problems I had with I I seem to have with most cyanogenmod or aokp roms. First it wouldn't sync my photo libraries from Google Plus and Facebook. The second problem was occasionally when I am in my car and someone calls me it doesn't put it in the blue tooth speaker. I have to switch it to handset then back to speaker for it to work.

If anyone knows how to fix these issues I'd love Carbon. (I'm also on a GS3 with Verizon.)

If you flash it let me know if you have the same issues.

Aric

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

pheatton

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
I was reading through the Carbon ROM page and it mentioned needing to install gapps. I gather I will need to install them but Im not sure how to choose which package I will need. I have the latest stable build of CM10 and the latest Carbon ROM I will be trying.

I have downloaded the top two packages from here, Goo.im Downloads - Browsing gapps

blade22222

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
You could download the goo manager from the play store, it will install the correct gapps package for you.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

pheatton

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
A little update: I have CM10 installed and I installed the gapps package for 4.1 ROMs through CWM. My main question now is there is a calendar app installed and I can install Google Calendar from the market. My Galaxy Nexus as the version that I can install from the market. Any difference between the two? The version numbers are different and the icons look different.

@awilisch

I did install Carbon before trying out CM10 and while I did like the look over CM10 I didn't like that something just didn't work. My main gripe was the center home button does nothing really, at least it didn't when I installed the ROM. As for the look, it seemed the Carbon was set for a higher res screen? Icons etc looked smaller for some reason.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I've tried CM10 and Carbon. Like both and had no major issues with either. The things that are limitations for me at the moment are:
1. No USB Media support/playback with my truck stereo. With stock JB 4.1.1 or CleanROM 5.6, this works. To be fair, it could also be a limitation with my stereo. Nonetheless, appears that no native USB Media support/playback is available with CM10 or Carbon. If anyone has any ideas here for a solid and stable workaround, please do share :)
2. No native messaging app that supports group texting. Understand and appreciate that third party apps are available for that, and have used some in the past. Stock JB and CleanROM have the native messaging app that does support group texting.
I'd probably move back to CM or Carbon if item #1 has a solution. Item #2 is not a big deal, and I'd probably go with Verizon Messages given thats our provider and works fairly well with the mixture of iDevices and Android in the household/extended family.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
A little update: I have CM10 installed and I installed the gapps package for 4.1 ROMs through CWM. My main question now is there is a calendar app installed and I can install Google Calendar from the market. My Galaxy Nexus as the version that I can install from the market. Any difference between the two? The version numbers are different and the icons look different.

@awilisch

I did install Carbon before trying out CM10 and while I did like the look over CM10 I didn't like that something just didn't work. My main gripe was the center home button does nothing really, at least it didn't when I installed the ROM. As for the look, it seemed the Carbon was set for a higher res screen? Icons etc looked smaller for some reason.
As for the calendar I've tried Google Calendar on CM10 and Carbon. No issues but not as full featured compared to the S Planner that comes with the stock image. Had issues with S Planner not synching with Google Calendar despite implementing various workarounds. I'm using Business Calendar now and it's been solid the past few weeks with syncs.

toddbumpa

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
You might want to give synergy a try. Its a simple bare bones ROM with tons of options on what to/not to install within the aroma installer . Wifi tether built in, Pdroid, and ziggys kernel...but you can pick and choose within the installer. Enjoy the freedom of your rooted/unlocked s3!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2