Restore to stock

dlettau

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Hello. I have a non rooted verizon gs3. I flashed what I think may have been a leaked 4.1.1 rom. Now I can't get any ota updates. If I were to flash my phone with a stock official rom I think it might be 4.0 ICS. Would that set my phone back to stock an enable me to get updates? Thanks. Any help would be great.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

dlettau

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
What I did was get the official 4.0.4 rom flash it then do all the updates. I had originaly installed a leaked 4.1.1 rom which would not allow me to do ota's. I just finished rooting. Still running stock 4.1.2. Poking around on what I can do with having root acess.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
If I were to flash my phone with a stock official rom I think it might be 4.0 ICS. Would that set my phone back to stock an enable me to get updates? Thanks. Any help would be great.

What I did was get the official 4.0.4 rom flash it then do all the updates..

I'm glad this worked out for you, but as a word of caution to others: NEVER, EVER flash a ROM unless you're really certain you know what it is. Flashing a ROM that you "think" is the right one is a great way to brick your phone. There are so many ROMs floating around that aren't clearly marked as to what version of the phone they're for that people are flashing Verizon phones with Sprint ROMS, and T-Mobile phones with Verizon ROMs, and every version of the phone with international ROMs.

I've read about more bricked S3's in the AC forums than every other kind of phone combined, I think, because where most phones get unique names on each carrier, the S3 is the S3 is the S3, and many people just don't realize that not every S3 ROM will work on every S3 device.

Ataraxia212

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Great advice meyerweb! I was going to post a new thread, but now this seems like the perfect place. I found this directory on Goo, and I wanted to know if these are Verizon downloads or not. The naming convention of the stock ROM files just looks like gibberish to me. I?m guessing that all the files that start with ?COMBINATION? are incremental ICS and JB OTA updates (?). My goal is to grab the files and instructions necessary to return to stock.

Speaking of which, the ?Restore Back to Clean Factory Stock? guide in the stickies has broken links. The download link on Samsung-updates for the stock ROM seems broken, as well as the link for the kernel. Can anyone offer a guide with working links?

And, while I?m asking a million questions, if I find a good guide for returning to stock, and it references a stock ROM, can I consider that file interchangeable with any of the stock ROMs on the I535 Goo page that I referenced? I hope that makes sense. Thanks meyerweb and everyone!

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I think it's a safe bet that any ROM with VZW in the name is indeed a ROM for a Verizon phone, but beyond that I'm not sure whether those are stock OEM ROMs or custom ROMs or what. You're doing the right thing asking first, but I'm afraid I don't know where the stock Verizon ROM might be found. Hopefully someone will chime in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance