Unable to flash roms to my device

52pmw

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Greetings all,
new to the forum scene, and having trouble flashing roms to my rooted S3. Running 4.1.1, CMW recovery, blah blah blah. No matter which rom I try, the little android dies with an '!" triangle. Then I have to recover to my old format. I know it must be me not doing something!! Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks,

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Greetings all,
new to the forum scene, and having trouble flashing roms to my rooted S3. Running 4.1.1, CMW recovery, blah blah blah. No matter which rom I try, the little android dies with an '!" triangle. Then I have to recover to my old format. I know it must be me not doing something!! Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks,

Try downloading the ROM file again. There may have been a piece of it that got missed in the download. Also put the file on your external SD card. ROMs often load better that way. Did you wipe your cache and Dalvik cache?

52pmw

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Yes, yes, yes, Unlocked boootloader, properly rooted, flashed from external sd card. I tried again a few times, redownloaded, and was very patient waiting, and huzzah! the magical rom(s) have been succesfully flashed. Currently liking the JellyBeans, but I did think the battery life would be better.
Thanks for everyones help and suggestions.
52pmw

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I think it takes a week or so to get a good feel for battery life after flashing a new ROM. The first few days is usually heavy on battery drain given more screen time checking out the new ROM. Not saying you aren't seeing less than expected battery life, just something to keep in mind.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Did you do a complete factory reset, wipe cache and wipe dalvik before flashing? If not, that could be the source of any issues you have, including poor battery life. "Dirty" flashes are known be be risky in this regard.

52pmw

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Update:
Well, I finally got some roms to flash, and in doing so eventually hard bricked my phone. I think I may have flashed a file not specific to my phone/carrier. Anyways, have had to buy a new phone. Not what I was hoping! I have successfully managed to root it, and have jellybeans rom running great. I am a bit paranoid to try anything else, but fortunately am happy with what I have now.
ps, does anyone know how to get my old phone working again??
Thank you to all who have helped etc.
52pmw

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Regarding your old phone, what's your definition of "hard bricked"?
Does it power on at all?
Can you get into Recovery or Download mode?
Do you have a JIG?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Well, it may be worth purchasing a JIG from Amazon for a couple of bucks - if that doesn't allow you to get in Download mode then it's totally hosed.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Nicholi2789

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes, yes, yes, Unlocked boootloader, properly rooted, flashed from external sd card. I tried again a few times, redownloaded, and was very patient waiting, and huzzah! the magical rom(s) have been succesfully flashed. Currently liking the JellyBeans, but I did think the battery life would be better.
Thanks for everyones help and suggestions.
52pmw
I've been using Jelly beans 15 for the last couple weeks and really like it too. I have to agree about the battery life though. I'm running lean Kernel and can barely make it through a work day. It still remains my favorite rom though. I really really hope that Beanstown adds multi window to the next build and then it would be perfect..

52pmw

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Update! Still having a few problems with certain roms, perhaps getting a bad download?
As far as my bricked phone, tried using a jig to get back into recovery, but it shows no life at all. Is there any way to re-program a dead phone??
Thanks,
52pmw

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

52pmw

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Updated update:
Each time I try flashing a diferrent rom,, it gets stuck at bootloop and won't load. Still puzzled by this and could use some advice. Looking for improved battery life(isn't everyone?) Maybe I should try a different kernel?
Advice appreciated.
52pmw :confused:

52pmw

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for asking. I have tried Slim, Liquid, Carbon, Dark Angel, and Cyan. The only one besides JB that loaded was Cyan, but I went back to JB cause I didn't feel like reloading all my info (apps,texts,etc)
I haven't played with any kernals yet, I'm still paranoid about bricking another phone😞
I like the JB(not 15, the one before it), just looking for more battery life.
Thanks again👍
52pmw

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12