Verizon S3 to Straight Talk

webdva

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Stephen & Malizioso,
I got the same ST kit Malizioso shows in post #60. I followed Stephens instructions on my Verizon SGs3 SCH-1535 Ver 4.3. Switching to the GSM setting. I activated the "C" sim (which says T-Mobile) in the picture on ST's website and opt'd to port my Verizon number. I then changed the APN according to Stephen and ST instructions. My phone # ported literally within 5 min. My phone works, sending pic msgs dont work, but that sounds typical from what I read. No big deal, I just email instead. I'm also on WiFi at home. However, for calls and texting the reception (network) fluctuates greatly from full bars to no service at all. Alot of "no service".
@ Stephen....
Question 1: whats ur thoughts on my having used the T-Mobile micro sim in my verizon phone BUT it says that I am on the ATT network. (The ATT, A and B sim's in Malizioso's picture dont fit in my phone). Could having used a T-Mobile sim and my phone saying ATT network be an issue with reception? Seems odd.
Question 2: The APN settings, I entered all those you provided (same as ST's) but there are alot of other options to "edit". I left everything blank (or made it blank) but some you can't and when I reboot my phone it seems the ones I took out come back. These are my APN settings if you have any suggestions or see issues?
Name: Straight Talk
APN: tfdata
Proxy: Not Set
Port: 80
Username: Not Set
Password: Not Set
Server: Not Set
MMSC: http://mms-tf.net
Multimedia msg proxy: mms3.tracfone.com
Multimeda msg port: 80
MCC: 310 (Dont know what this is??)
MNC: 410 (Dont know what this is??)
Authentican Type: Not Set
APN Type: Not Set
APN Protocol: IPv4/IPv6 (I HAVE to select from IPv4, IPv6, or IPv4/IPv6)
APN roaming protocol: IPv4/IPv6 (HAVE to select from the same three options. I used the IPv4/IPv6 for both?)
Turn APN on/off: the box is checked to "on"
Bearer: Unspecified (Can select from LTE, eHRPD or Unspecificed)?
Mobile virtual network operator: None (Can select SPN, IMSI, or GID)?
Mobile virtual network operator value: Not set

Thank You, Your posts have been VERY helpful

redduce79

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
hi stephen blake,

i did everything you mention in the first blog about switching over from verizon to straight talk. i got the activation kit and activated the att sim card, but when i try to add apn that option will not come up for me. it only says restore to default. i put the sim card in everything works fine except the only thing i can't do is send or receive picture messages. also it keeps asking me to switch to global instead of keeping it in the gsm mode. is there anyway u can help me solve this problem?

redduce79

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
i just have a ? webdva. how were u able to change or edit you apn settings? i am not able to that and i followed all of stephen's insructions.

joeldrenfro

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Stephan- Awesome!
You gave me the guts to try!...maybe...depending on one thing...
Can you tell me if, after switching to ST, your phone is using the Verizon towers or AT&T towers?
Verizon is good where I live, AT&T not so good...
Thanks again!!!

tomfree99

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Have S3 i535. Verizon branded over to ST. Using ATT sim.Have followed all suggestions. All works but voicemail. What setting have I missed ?

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Stephan- Awesome!
You gave me the guts to try!...maybe...depending on one thing...
Can you tell me if, after switching to ST, your phone is using the Verizon towers or AT&T towers?
Verizon is good where I live, AT&T not so good...
Thanks again!!!

Welcome to the forums Joel!

If you switch to ST with an AT&T SIM card than you'll be using AT&T towers.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Stephan Blake

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
@ Malizioso Hmmm not sure why the packages are different. I believe the nano sims are used in iphone 5s and newer phones. just slightly smaller than the micro sim.... There may be 2 different packages. Ill have to look up which one I used and ill post the info. Att micro sim is probably the way to go.

Stephan Blake

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
@ tomfree99

Goto Phone, Call settings, Voicemail settings, Voicemail number. Edit your number from existing Verizon number. If its your ST number contact ST for help with the voicemail issue. It may not be your phone.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
@ tomfree99

Goto Phone, Call settings, Voicemail settings, Voicemail number. Edit your number from existing Verizon number. If its your ST number contact ST for help with the voicemail issue. It may not be your phone.

This 👆

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!

GinaB74

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Ok so I have done these settings and everything works EXCEPT picture messages. It seems that it works for some and not for others. Has anyone figured this out as of yet? And thank you SO much for posting this!

Oh also, my phone seems to say Roaming alot...anyone else getting that?

GinaB74

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
This straight talk business is wildy sketchy.. I have a verizon gs3 and an activated at&t sim card and its just plain not working at all. Rooted and cyanagenmod now and still nothing.. calling is barred and it says its roaming but st doesn't even offer roaming services. Someone help me.

I couldn't begin to guess why it isn't working. The ONLY thing not working for me is picture messaging. Annoying yes, but liveable until I find a solution.

concepttheman

May 18, 2010
Visit site
okay I'm trying to figure this out I live in upstate New York if anyone else is in upstate New York and you have for 4G with a SIM card please chime in on this do you think I can get 4G speeds with the picture that you showed in upstate New York. The map shows that Verizon AT&T and even a little bit of T Mobile is applicable.

jaytenberg

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
If it is a Galaxy S3 with the model number SCH-i535 and it is running Jelly Bean 4.1.2 or higher, it requires no hacking or unlocking at all. All you need to do is get the right SIM card. In my case it was AT&T. If AT&T works in your area, just get that SIM card out of the package, go to stbyop.com and activate a monthly plan on that SIM card. Next, pop it into your phone and turn it on. After it is in your phone, go to settings, more settings, mobile networks, network mode, then select GSM/UMTS. You should now be able to use the phone.

The next thing would be to set the APN settings which is just as easy to do.

Go back one menu to mobile networks, then click on access point names. You should see LTE Verizon Internet. Hit the menu key to the right of your home button at the bottom of your screen this should allow you to add a new access point.

Put these settings in:

Name: STRAIGHT_TALK
MMS proxy: mms3.tracfone.com
MMS port: 80

Restart the phone and turn your data on and you should be all set!

There is nothing that I cannot do on my phone now. The only thing is that the 3G is a little slow, but I mainly use Wi-Fi anyway.

Update: Successfully updated to 4.3 and all is well still. I just had to re-enter my details for GSM and APN settings. If anyone else wants to upgrade to 4.3, follow the steps here: http://true-android.blogspot.com/2014/01/install-vrucml1-android-43-jb-firmware.html

Last edited:

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
If it is a Galaxy S3 with the model number SCH-i535 and it is running Jelly Bean 4.1.2 or higher, it requires no hacking or unlocking at all. All you need to do is get the right SIM card. In my case it was AT&T. If AT&T works in your area, just get that SIM card out of the package, go to stbyop.com and activate a monthly plan on that SIM card. Next, pop it into your phone and turn it on. After it is in your phone, go to settings, more settings, mobile networks, network mode, then select GSM/UMTS. You should now be able to use the phone.

The next thing would be to set the APN settings which is just as easy to do.

Go back one menu to mobile networks, then click on access point names. You should see LTE Verizon Internet. Hit the menu key to the right of your home button at the bottom of your screen this should allow you to add a new access point.

Put these settings in:

Name: STRAIGHT_TALK
MMS proxy: mms3.tracfone.com
MMS port: 80

Restart the phone and turn your data on and you should be all set!

There is nothing that I cannot do on my phone now. The only thing is that the 3G is a little slow, but I mainly use Wi-Fi anyway.

Update: Successfully updated to 4.3 and all is well still. I just had to re-enter my details for GSM and APN settings. If anyone else wants to upgrade to 4.3, follow the steps here: http://true-android.blogspot.com/2014/01/install-vrucml1-android-43-jb-firmware.html

Welcome to the forums!
And thanks for sharing that info with all. I bet there are plenty of people here that will be using that help. 👍😃

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I did this on my s4 and worked perfect...my s3 is not working though! Any ideas on what to do?!

Welcome to the forums!
So you did this on a GS4 and it worked? Nice!
Was the GS4 a Verizon or Sprint phone?

How about the GS3, is it a Verizon phone and did you follow the steps mentioned above?

Malizioso

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
I returned the $59.99 package and ordered a micro Sim Card from Walmart.com... only $6.88 plus taxes.. got it last night and followed your info step by step... phone is working perfect now...

Thank you Stehan!! you the man

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alfatv