Stupid Root Newbie Questions

cgm707

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I successfully rooted my Samsung Galaxy S3 phone (SCH-R530C, Android version 4.1.2). So far, I have downloaded Titanium Backup, Tether, Root Uninstaller, Pimp My Rom, RootAppDelete and Theme Manager.

I have been able to get rid of apps that I no longer want, but that is all I have been able to do.

How do I get the themes to work? I have selected some, downloaded some, rebooted, but nothing has changed.

There is something called deodex. Is this related to my choices not working? Is there anything else I have to do besides rooting my phone?

Thanks very much for any help.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Themes require a rom that supports them. Deodexing is the act of repackaging apps odex files directly into the apk. It has nothing to do with your choices.

cgm707

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, Scott. Your answer helps, but I am wondering what to do with that info? How do I know whether my rom supports a theme? I looked at a lot of websites yesterday about rooting, and recall seeing something about customized roms.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Roms are a customized version of Android you can flash to your device. The rom must be 100% compatible with your device. Luckily, there are zillions of roms for the S3. Read through the feature list for possible rom candidates and find one that supports themeing and also has other options that you'd like. There are usually instructions on how to flash them in the post, however generally you put the rom's zip file on your sd card and flash it by booting into recovery and selecting install from zip. Choose the rom zip file and install it to your device. This will wipe all of your data.
If you choose to rom your device, ensure you've done a lot of reading and understand the risks and process. Most of the "my phone doesn't work" threads I answer are due to someone fooling around with a rom and not reading enough. Read read read!
Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

cgm707

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Gotcha.

I did a Google search, using this query: custom rom galaxy s3 sch-r530c.

All I found were websites about rooting the phone, which has been done. I'm not seeing any particular apps or the like for my rom (which is based on my model? Or kernel? Or os version?).

I did see links for upgrading from Android version 4.1.2 to 4.1.3 (and referring to this version as Jellybean threw me off track for awhile).

cgm707

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I am not asking for a specific custom rom from this forum, I am just trying to get some help.

XDA hasn't been of any help; I have tried to find custom roms for my Samsung Galaxy S3, SCH=R530C. The S3s mentioned in XDA is for another model, not the SCH that I have. I have tried for 3 days to find a package to download that will do something for my phone and have no luck.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae