Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Rooted S3 4.1.2 to Newest Update

My S3 (SCH-i535) is currently rooted and running android version 4.1.2 and baseband version I535VRBMF1. I will be getting a new phone in a couple of months and would like to update this phone to the newest version for the time being (with or without root depending on how easy it will be to do)?

Can someone please help me with the easiest way to do this (preferably without having to wipe the phone clean)? I only use root for the wifi tether but i dont mind going back to unrooted until i get my new phone. If there is a tutorial for this I would greatly appreciate some direction and tips if I need to do anything different than what is in the tutorial. I can follow any tutorial but just dont have enough knowledge to know what to do on my own. Thank you in advance. Jay
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Rooted S3 4.1.2 to Newest Update

Also, my phone keeps trying to do the OTA from verizon, i accepted it a month or so ago and it locked my phone and told me to go to the nearest verizon store. I was able to follow a forum online and return to my original configuration and now just keep postponing the update everyday.

Jay,
    There's a couple of things you can do:
    - return the phone to stock 4.1.2 (unrooting and reinstalling the stock Recovery software following whatever tutorial you have) and then accept the OTA
    - use the Kies v2.6 to reload the stock 4.1.2 firmware, then use Kies or the OTA to update it
    - use Odin to just write the 4.3 firmware http://samsung-updates.com/details/2...35VRUCML1.html
    - use Odin to load a pre-rooted 4.3 firmware that removes the Knox bootloader/app components http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho....php?p=3364771

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by GSDer View Post
    Jay,
    There's a couple of things you can do:
    - return the phone to stock 4.1.2 (unrooting and reinstalling the stock Recovery software following whatever tutorial you have) and then accept the OTA
    - use the Kies v2.6 to reload the stock 4.1.2 firmware, then use Kies or the OTA to update it
    - use Odin to just write the 4.3 firmware Samsung Updates - Firmware Download Page
    - use Odin to load a pre-rooted 4.3 firmware that removes the Knox bootloader/app components Verizon S3: Looking for rooted 4.3 flash? - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
    Will all these methods require me to wipe all my data? or will any of them?

The last two methods will wipe your data; using Kies probably will; I can't speak to the first since I don't know what tutorial you're following.

However, you can also use the Kies software to backup your information. And there are tons of apps in the Google Play Store that will let you backup various pieces of data (ex. Helium: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ikdutta.backup).