Soft Brick Verizon Galaxy S3 SCH-I535

PatrickS1

Apr 26, 2015
Visit site
Hi, everyone, I have a problem I've been trying to fix for hours but can't get it. I was trying to root my phone, which I believe was on 4.4.2. (I now know this was a BAD idea, as the bootloader is locked.) I installed towelroot, followed by SuperSU, and then ROMManager/Clockwork. When I went to set up a backup with Clockwork, the phone restarted (as I believe it should) but then couldn't go any further. It showed me a message saying that there was unauthorized software and i needed to take the phone to the nearest Verizon store.

There seems to be a decent amount of information on fixing a soft bricked Verizon Galaxy S3, but nothing's working for me. Flashing anything through Odin fails. I ended up at this thread called "[HOW-TO] Unbrick your soft bricked Galaxy S III (+ bootloader brick)". (I would post a link but it looks like I'm not allowed.) Anyway, even this isn't working.

I get this from Odin on my PC:
<ID:0/003> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> VRALEC.bootchain.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/003> Initialzation..
<ID:0/003> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/003> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/003> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/003> aboot.mbn
<ID:0/003> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/003> FAIL! (Auth)
<ID:0/003>
<ID:0/003> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

ON my phone it says:
ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: SCH-I535
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS: Official
QUALCOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLED
BOOTLOADER RP SWREV: 2
SW REV CHECK FAIL : Fused 2 > Binary 0

Interestingly, I no longer get that message about unauthorized software when I try to start up regularly. I now get a message that says "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please use Software Repair Assistant & try again." I did try using Verizon's Software Repair Assistant, but it does not recognize my phone. (I have installed the drivers through Kies.)

Please help! Thank you in advance!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It's most likely a hardware NAND failure, but have you tried to update using Kies?

(The reason for the problem was, of course, using ROMManager on a locked bootloader.).

PatrickS1

Apr 26, 2015
Visit site
Hi, Rukbat. Thanks for the fast response! When I put my phone in Odin mode, open Kies, and plug in the phone, Kies just hangs there trying to connect to the phone. Nothing happens.

PatrickS1

Apr 26, 2015
Visit site
Well, I'm going to take the phone to Verizon as a last ditch effort to see if they might be able to repair it. Does anyone have any advice as to what I should tell them happened? Given that it no longer starts up with that "unauthorized software" screen and instead has the "firmware upgrade" message, I think I might be able to get away with not telling them I rooted it and just saying I don't know what happened.

jt1980

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Same situation here too. Very interested in knowing what happened. I can't get past the yellow triangle saying unauthorized software etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38