Gah, protected bootloader?

trter10-imore

ThunderboltTool Developer
Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't think so. I did the math once over on xda. Using Cyanogen installs as a proxy for rooting (admittedly an imperfect proxy) I worked out that rooted phones account for something like .01% of all phones.

I find that hard to believe considering that there's about 2.5 million installs of cyanogenmod, and that's only people who have opted in to stats upload.

And there's a ton of people who are on the stock rom and other non-cyanogen roms

Sent from my Jailbroken iPad 3 using Tapatalk

VicVinegar

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
Best thing to do is not over-react to this. Phone is not even out yet, so we dont know how bad the damage is until the devs get there hands on the device. What I did so far was I just sent a email to the CEO of VZW explaining how im extremely disappointed in there business choice. Google how to contact him. Just be polite.

I am sure they are well aware that they are really alienating a segment of their customer base with these restrictions. It isn't like VZW is new to locking down phones when other carriers don't. I may send an email as well, but I'm not expecting much to happen. Only the minds over at XDA can save this phone.

tekhna

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I find that hard to believe considering that there's about 2.5 million installs of cyanogenmod, and that's only people who have opted in to stats upload.

And there's a ton of people who are on the stock rom and other non-cyanogen roms

Sent from my Jailbroken iPad 3 using Tapatalk

Well, I can try to recreate my math, since I can't find the post, and it's admittedly imperfect guesstimates.

The Galaxy S2, which is the most popular CM phone has 129,274 recorded installs on a userbase of 20 million+ (CMStats)

If we take CM installs as a proxy for rooting (which obviously doesn't correspond 1:1, plenty of people stay stock-rooted, but we'll try to compensate for that) and divide 129 274 / 20 000 000 = 0.0064637

So .006% of GS2 owners have installed CM, and reported it. So let's guess reporting rates are only 33% (not sure if that's high or low), so we can multiply everything by three. That gives us .018% of the GS2 userbase. We're still taking about infinitesimal numbers here. Let's say the reporting rate is only 10%. We're still talking about .06% But let's stick with that .018% number.

Let's say that my proxy is really really imperfect, and for every user that installs CM, there are 10 who root but never do. Sticking with the .018% number and multiply that by 10 we get .18% of GS2 users. It's going to take a LOT of multiplying to get us even to 1% of GS2 users. I think no matter how you do the math, the number of users relative to the total userbase is just tiny.

Correct me if I'm wrong though, these are just estimates.

trter10-imore

ThunderboltTool Developer
Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Well, I can try to recreate my math, since I can't find the post, and it's admittedly imperfect guesstimates.

The Galaxy S2, which is the most popular CM phone has 129,274 recorded installs on a userbase of 20 million+ (CMStats)

If we take CM installs as a proxy for rooting (which obviously doesn't correspond 1:1, plenty of people stay stock-rooted, but we'll try to compensate for that) and divide 129 274 / 20 000 000 = 0.0064637

So .006% of GS2 owners have installed CM, and reported it. So let's guess reporting rates are only 33% (not sure if that's high or low), so we can multiply everything by three. That gives us .018% of the GS2 userbase. We're still taking about infinitesimal numbers here. Let's say the reporting rate is only 10%. We're still talking about .06% But let's stick with that .018% number.

Let's say that my proxy is really really imperfect, and for every user that installs CM, there are 10 who root but never do. Sticking with the .018% number and multiply that by 10 we get .18% of GS2 users. It's going to take a LOT of multiplying to get us even to 1% of GS2 users. I think no matter how you do the math, the number of users relative to the total userbase is just tiny.

:O
You sir, are a guru

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

illinicolt

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site

Now multiply all of your numbers by 100 and you're on your way. ;)

d1ez3

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site

That's not how percentages work. It's 0.6%, you have to multiply by 100. As if saying 1/2 is 0.5%, it's 50%..;)

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site

man, I got confused just reading that let alone trying to figure it out :)

Tomab

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/835622#835622

Funny. Verizon locks the discussion on the bootloader on their own forum.

I'd suggest everyone just post their comments on the Facebook page for Verizon wireless. Much more exposure there, and would have more of an impact on people making a buying decision the week of the release of the phone. A company like VZ wouldn't want that kind of exposure and just may correct the injustice.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Last edited:

brb198#AC

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
so things are looking very good now? Can someone provide an update for noobs? I was about to root last night but figured Id at least use my phone a few weeks so I wont be extra furious if it bricks haha

FlatTopFoley

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
so things are looking very good now? Can someone provide an update for noobs? I was about to root last night but figured Id at least use my phone a few weeks so I wont be extra furious if it bricks haha

From reddit:

Kexec, allows an absolutely custom boot.img be executed. A boot.img contains a kernel and the ramdisk which contains the specifics on how to boot the kernel up (what processes to start, what storage to mount, etc). By samsung not signature checking the recovery partition, we can have a nice clean place to hardboot from without having to hijack init like with the droid x.

Kexec working for Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3, giving method to boot custom kernels : Android

US Galaxy S3 RIL cracked plus kexec kernel loading for Verizon : Android

npompei

May 9, 2011
Visit site

Yeah I would wait a few weeks. Soon enough(christ it only too these guys like 48hrs to get around it!) They will have a more complete and one click style root/flash that use newbs can use. This is still very fluid and these guys are fighting the good fight!

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
That's not how percentages work. It's 0.6%, you have to multiply by 100. As if saying 1/2 is 0.5%, it's 50%..;)

This. The CM penetration into the S2 is 0.64% according to the original premise. Of course this can be perturbed by a user ditching CM after they find out the backlight support sucks (sorry, hehe) or by a user who installed CM ten times because they just didn't like the feel of version xyz and had to have xyz+ and then xyz++ and then decided that they liked xyz+ after all.

Of course CM isnt the only rom out there, and plenty of people just root and don't rom. I would buy the figure that for every CM install there are 10 rooted and non-rommed users out there. That's still a pretty small number considering the bajillions of Android phones out there (VZ put about 3 million new Android phones in place in just the first three months of 2012.)

The big thing that VZ wants to do (getting back to the original premise) is to "protect" their network from rooters who go on to tether for free and short VZ the $20/mo, or break their phone and require a bunch of tech support, or brick their phone and require warranty replacement. Those categories can really cost a lot of money. They really only do what's in the best interest of profit, so you can be sure that they have some sort of inside scoop on how much they are losing and how much they suspect they can mitigate with a locked phone. They didn't just throw a bunch of developers at this for no good reason.

Wontfinishlast

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
Signed the petition and complained on Verizon's Facebook page. I wish I had the money to donate to those who are much more capable than I, but I dont atm. If there's anything else I can do to support this cause please let me know.