Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now again

Default Root for Verizon GSIII

Here is a link to the article on Rootzwiki about getting root access on the Verizon Samsung GSIII.
    I do not have a GSIII so I can neither confirm or deny it works but I figured many might find it helpful.
    Enjoy and good luck

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Thanked by 2:
    nate44 likes this.

Global Posts
    6,657 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

Yeah I just checked Twitter and saw that link too.
    Sounds it has obtained root, good news ha

sent by my Galaxy S3
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    149 Global Posts

Default Re: Root for Verizon GSIII

thank goodness, i had a feeling i'd be good to go by the time my s3 arrives next week, thank you devs!

Has the bootloader been unlocked or is this just a workaround?

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    Has the bootloader been unlocked or is this just a workaround?
    Just a workaround. This is a really important, but fairly minor step in the right direction. This just enables flashing ROMs and using root apps. No flashing kernels=no true AOSP though.

ROM
    Synergy

Any reported bricks using this method?
    BEACH BUM

Global Posts
    1,947 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock : Rooted, Unlocked

Went to bed "Pissed" , woke up "Happy" . Now hopefully Devs can get the bootloader unlocked.

Global Posts
    109 Global Posts

Just a question. What exactly is flashing a kernel? Since I have a dx I just flash roms

Sent from my DROIDX using Android Central Forums

I'm glad they've got root now. But since it voids your warranty I may wait until there's a way to sbf back to complete stock. Btw, I'm not sure if sbf is the right term. I'm an ex Motor user.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Kench33 View Post
    Just a question. What exactly is flashing a kernel? Since I have a dx I just flash roms

Sent from my DROIDX using Android Central Forums
    "Kernels handle things like CPU speeds and voltages, and a custom kernel can have a modified CPU table that allows for speeds well beyond the CPUs original specifications."

With the ability to flash kernels and an open bootloader we could easily get a reliable AOKP Jellybean port.

Sent from my ICE CREAM SANDWICH (CM9) powered DROID X2 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    ROM
    Imo lk

Lol, poor Verizon will never match the tenacity of the dev community. Even though I'm not even close to being a dev, I somehow feel like I'm a part of it and it makes me feel all fuzzy when something like this happens.
    Kronko and duanedude1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tayswg20 View Post
    Lol, poor Verizon will never match the tenacity of the dev community. Even though I'm not even close to being a dev, I somehow feel like I'm a part of it and it makes me feel all fuzzy when something like this happens.
    Agreed. I'm not a dev, and I don't really do much with roots and customization, but it's troubling how carriers like Verizon want to limit the functionality people have with their phones.

If they did updates on a regular basis and didn't cram the phones full of bloatware, devs wouldn't have to do their jobs for them.
    duanedude1 and tayswg20 like this.
    AndroidSkull

Global Posts
    3,592 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vitreous,JellyBelly,OEM

Quote Originally Posted by DJSgalaxy View Post
    I'm glad they've got root now. But since it voids your warranty I may wait until there's a way to sbf back to complete stock. Btw, I'm not sure if sbf is the right term. I'm an ex Motor user.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Android Central Forums
    For Samsung devices you use a program called Odin. Which is pretty much the same as an SBF on a Motorola device. I've had my share of moto devices as well. Odin will restore the stock factory image on your device exactly like rsd lite would do.

Bounced off of my JellyBelly into your eye.
    AndroidSkull

Global Posts
    3,592 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vitreous,JellyBelly,OEM

Any updates from anyone that's rooted? My S3 should be here in a day or 2. Looking for feedback

Quote Originally Posted by sicario666 View Post
    Any updates from anyone that's rooted? My S3 should be here in a day or 2. Looking for feedback

Rooted two days ago using the method in the OP and removed that pesky ongoing wifi notification yesterday. Haven't had any issues.

For Samsung devices you use a program called Odin. Which is pretty much the same as an SBF on a Motorola device. I've had my share of moto devices as well. Odin will restore the stock factory image on your device exactly like rsd lite would do.

Technically, Odin is analogous to RSD Lite. You flash a .tar file with Odin just like you flash an .sbf file with RSD Lite.

When using Odin, it is very important to choose PDA not Phone as your device type, or you will end up bricking your device.
    a little obsessive...

Global Posts
    417 Global Posts

Right now there are just too many issues and too many unknowns with this phone for me to root. The most safe thing to do is to root only but not load CWM. It looks like once you load cwm that your counter starts incrementing if you load even a cleaned up stock rom.

I'm going to wait until later this week and then see what has been worked out (if anything) and make a decision about this phone at that point.
    R

If I have offered any information to help you or of interest to you please hit the "Thanks" button.

Quote Originally Posted by racedog View Post
    Right now there are just too many issues and too many unknowns with this phone for me to root. The most safe thing to do is to root only but not load CWM. It looks like once you load cwm that your counter starts incrementing if you load even a cleaned up stock rom.
    Can you post a link to a thread discussing the fact that the counter starts incrementing after installing the CWM recovery? I can't seem to find any reference to this. Thanks.
    a little obsessive...
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by xliderider View Post
    Can you post a link to a thread discussing the fact that the counter starts incrementing after installing the CWM recovery? I can't seem to find any reference to this. Thanks.
    At the bottom of the OP, there's a little Q&A section

Second to last question:
    Q: Does this trip the flash counter?
    A: No

Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    ROM
    There will be many...

Rooted the wife's new GS3 yesterday before I even activated it. I can't believe there is no other way to move user app data...

Global Posts
    1,377 Global Posts
    ROM
    Always changing

rooted but did not install cwm with the method above, root went fine and was able to remove the ongoing wifi notice.
    Then today I was in rom manager just poking around and saw the verizon gsIII was listed as a device to load cwm on so I did and it went fine, I then booted into recovery and performed a backup that also went fine. No counter was tripped not that I care
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Thanked by:
    AndroidSkull

Global Posts
    3,592 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vitreous,JellyBelly,OEM

The file that needs to be flashed in Odin. Should it be a tar.md5? Or just a .tar? It's been a while since I've used Odin. I'm following all instructions but my comp just reboots after a while. Can some1 throw a dog a bone?

S3nt from Galaxy S3

Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    ROM
    Imo lk

The file that needs to be flashed in Odin. Should it be a tar.md5? Or just a .tar? It's been a while since I've used Odin. I'm following all instructions but my comp just reboots after a while. Can some1 throw a dog a bone?

S3nt from Galaxy S3
    I'm not totally positive which step your on but i think you want just a .tar file........one thing that helped me was i used this guide ....its the same as the one on xda except, for me it was a little less confusing to follow (not that the one on xda was confusing, I just have the attention span of a 2y/o) . Just make sure you have a blank system image.tar and a rooted system image.tar and you should be fine. I'm not an expert at this, just giving my own experience. So maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in and help as well.

Good luck
    A proud member of Flashahalic's anonymous
    Thanked by:
    AndroidSkull

Global Posts
    3,592 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vitreous,JellyBelly,OEM

Quote Originally Posted by tayswg20 View Post
    I'm not totally positive which step your on but i think you want just a .tar file........one thing that helped me was i used this guide ....its the same as the one on xda except, for me it was a little less confusing to follow (not that the one on xda was confusing, I just have the attention span of a 2y/o) . Just make sure you have a blank system image.tar and a rooted system image.tar and you should be fine. I'm not an expert at this, just giving my own experience. So maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in and help as well.

Good luck
    I'm gonna try it again. I downloaded the file again and I'll unzip it once more. Thanks for the tips. I appreciate it

S3nt from Galaxy S3

Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    ROM
    Imo lk

I'm gonna try it again. I downloaded the file again and I'll unzip it once more. Thanks for the tips. I appreciate it

S3nt from Galaxy S3
    No problem. Hope it works out.
    A proud member of Flashahalic's anonymous
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast