Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Tether

If this is inappropriate-- please take down immediately.

Just wondering if any of the apps out there work on the stock (non-rooted) VZ SG3.

Thanks. Can't wait to get mine!

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts

Default Re: Tether

I'm wondering about this too.

Global Posts
    82 Global Posts

Have you tried pdaNet 3.50? I don't have my s3 yet, but I have used it on two other phones. It now has a wireless wifi option with FoxFi
    (and this is for non rooted phones)
    If you try it out let me know how it works with the s3...
    Thanks
    rmb.1221 likes this.

I heard people on sprint saying they were able to tether without rooting. I don't remember the app name. Sprint removed it from the market, but you can still get it from xda. But they were also speculating that the next software update would probable kill it. I will look for the name of it. It might work for verizon too.

Swyped from my Evo 4G using Sprint Lovers ROM and Tapatalk.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

green light on foxfi

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts

Foxfi works like a charm on unrooted S3!
    Thanked by:
    BostonBeats88 likes this.

Glad to hear. I'm going to resist rooting for a few days, although I think I will eventually to run some other programs.

Quote Originally Posted by rough1200 View Post
    Foxfi works like a charm on unrooted S3!
    Foxfi is the best

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

How important is it to connect via a proxy with the add-on to be as under the radar as possible?

My laptop browser is Chrome, and I have gone though Wrench>>Settings>>Advanced>>Change proxy settings and entered in the proxy and port shown on FoxFi. It seems to cut in and out or not work as well or not connect at all as it does without the proxy.

Am I going about the computer proxy setting change correctly or does it need to be done some other way? If there really is no urgent need to use the proxy, please let me know. Pretty new to all of this.

BTW, the phone is outstanding.
    Thanks!

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

I can confirm that the SwitchPro Widget works great and does not need root.

ROM
    Stock

Obviously I have not tried it but there is a usb tethering function built in to the phone. Why did Verizon leave it in if it does not work ?

Settings>More settings>Tethering

Quote Originally Posted by Bullfrog1337 View Post
    Obviously I have not tried it but there is a usb tethering function built in to the phone. Why did Verizon leave it in if it does not work ?

Settings>More settings>Tethering
    It probably "works" but will check to see if you have a tethering plan. If you don't it will inform you that you need one.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Any seasoned user care to opine on the need for using a proxy when using an app like FoxFi or at this point is running without proxy not a cause for concern?

I have used barnacle and wifi tether in the past, how does FoxFi compare to these? I take it that it uses AP mode and has DHCP so you just need to point your PC at the hotspot and away you go? Does it let you control who is allowed to connect?

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by joebob2000 View Post
    I have used barnacle and wifi tether in the past, how does FoxFi compare to these? I take it that it uses AP mode and has DHCP so you just need to point your PC at the hotspot and away you go? Does it let you control who is allowed to connect?
    The only way I've seen you can limit connections is just by setting your wpa password and then only sharing that with people you want connected.

Ooh nice!! Better find this app before it you can't find it anymore.

I have used fox since it came out and have never done anything with a proxy. I use a lot of data, havent heard squat.
    Thanked by:

Foxfi works great on my S3. It literally takes 4 sec to start up.

That was it! Foxfi.

Swyped from my EVO 4G running swagged out stock.

The built in Tether works fine along with the hot spot.

I'm having trouble getting FoxFi to work... by all appearances on my phone, it should be working, but when I check for my Network Name on my iPad and laptop, I'm not seeing anything.

Is this because I'm on the unlimited plan, with no tethering plan? Has anyone without Verizon's tethering plan been able to use Foxfi, without root?

Never mind! I read elsewhere that you just have to clear the app cache and that did the trick. You just have to be careful about editing the Network name and password - do that BEFORE turning on the HotSpot.

Just did a speed check from my iPad and the internet speed matches what I test on my phone on 4G, so FoxFi doesn't slow things down at all!
    Thanked by 2:
    delo999Xymph 

Thanks, I was having the same problem.

-X

I've got pdanet 3.5, auto downloaded on my S3 with the rest of my apps. I noticed it now has an option for wifi, but when I click that button it says to download Foxfi, so don't konw if they're related? I also noticed that pdanet is available on the Play Store again... had to download it from the developer on my DX.

I have SVTP it works good. i am not rooted
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast