Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Remove wifi notification (root only)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by 4:
    dubge likes this.

Default Re: Remove wifi notification (droid-life article, root only)

All of the WIFI prompts (that I assume VZW put on this phone) really annoy me. The ongoing one is a pain, but also the pop up window that comes up when you are near a recognized network. GRR!

Rooting tonight for sure. Thanks for the article!
    You got to risk it for the biscuit

Razr > EnV > EnV Touch > LG Dare > Droid X > HTC Thunderbolt > Samsung Galaxy III > HTC Droid DNA
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I haven't even received my phone yet but I am following like a feen to figure out how to unverizon this phone as quickly as possible lol.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Welp...costed $2.99 for the app but no more ongoing notification. w00t

Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted, Unlocked

And which app is that?

which is suggested in the article. One thing of note is that the “wifi_networks_available_notification_on” may not necessarily be line 86. Believe it was 10 on mine so it may vary by device.

Global Posts
    1,377 Global Posts
    ROM
    Always changing

ya it was 10 in mine also, I sat there scratching my head for a while before I made the adjustment
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Global Posts
    109 Global Posts

What exactly is this notification? I'm at work and haven't heard anything about it. My s3 should be in soon

Sent from my DROIDX using Android Central Forums

Read this at work and was very happy. This sounds terrible and will give me an incentive to root early I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Kench33 View Post
    What exactly is this notification? I'm at work and haven't heard anything about it. My s3 should be in soon

Sent from my DROIDX using Android Central Forums
    Below is what it looked like before the change. The wifi notification was always there.

Global Posts
    1,377 Global Posts
    ROM
    Always changing

that replaced the wifi toggle from the control panel above it, they want to constantly remind you to use wifi.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3

There always needs to be something that Verizon has to do to ruin the experience of their phone (bootloader, persistent wifi notification), ugh!

ROM
    Stock for now

Thing is, once you disable the notification, you've gotta go into settings via a couple more clicks to turn wifi on...only other option is to get a widget toggle which isn't too bad I guess. I'm waiting to get rid of it til I can put it in my notification toggles bar.

Default Re: Remove wifi notification (root only)

I was going to root my phone eventually anyways, but did so sooner just to get rid of this crap. However, as someone above mentioned about the WiFi prompts - is there any way to remove these? This is what really irritates me so than the on going notification did. I feel like I'm being treated like a frikken child who has to be told what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by jchristianh View Post
    I was going to root my phone eventually anyways, but did so sooner just to get rid of this crap. However, as someone above mentioned about the WiFi prompts - is there any way to remove these? This is what really irritates me so than the on going notification did. I feel like I'm being treated like a frikken child who has to be told what to do.
    Believe there's also an entry for that if you have SQLite Editor but you can also disable it by using to create a shortcut to the hidden menu. Install the app, run it and choose New Shortcut-Application and then select HiddenMenuWifiOffload. Open the shortcut placed on your homescreen and check disable. Also works for non-rooted users.
    Thanked by 2:
    dpham00 likes this.

Thank you, but would rather make the change via SQLite though. Do you happen to know the key? It's not on the linked article on disabling the on going notification.

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts

Does this add the WiFi icon back to the list at the top (like Bluetooth, Driving Mode, Airplane mode)?

Quote Originally Posted by mpneill View Post
    Does this add the WiFi icon back to the list at the top (like Bluetooth, Driving Mode, Airplane mode)?
    Yea, the 4G/animated activity icon gets replaced by a WiFi one regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by jchristianh View Post
    Yea, the 4G/animated activity icon gets replaced by a WiFi one regardless.
    He's talking about the actual toggle. All of the other versions have the wifi toggle in the pulldown with the others but verizon replaced it with the persistent notification. The answer would be no though. You're still stuck with the toggles it shipped with.

As for using SQLite to turn off the popup, looks like it may be under the record wifi_use_intelligent_mode (#1333 under system on mine). Changing it to 0 seems to disable the popup. Anycut is still an option for non-rooted users though.

Ahh ok, sorry, misundertood the set of icons he was referring to.

I didn't have that key on mine so I added it with a value of 0 and rebooted the phone after disconnecting from WiFi. Upon reboot I launched Facebook which still threw that prompt at me.

Were you looking under System instead of Secure? It's not in the same place as the wifi notification key and may be a different number.

Quote Originally Posted by PJnc284 View Post
    Were you looking under System instead of Secure? It's not in the same place as the wifi notification key and may be a different number.
    Yea, I was looking under secure. I checked system too, but its also not there.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

weird. Definitely works on mine. With screenshot 1, the value (see last record) is set to 1 and I get the popup.

Change it to 0 and no more popup

Sweet. Works now. I added the key manually, and rebooted. Launched Facebook and no notification. Thanks!

Just to clarify, does that edit remove the pop-up that appears when you open something like Facebook, or does it replace the notice permanently embedded in the pull-down menu? (Or both?)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast