Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Bullfrog1337
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Anyone planning NOT to root?

Anyone thinking about not rooting their SIII for a while? I always enjoy playing with new ROMs, etc., but in terms of functionality, I'm about 96% happy with stock right now.

So far, the only things I'd be inclined to fix are the annoying wi-fi pop up and access to Google Wallet.

(But, that said, I'm still really pissed about the locked boot loader. It's like buying a car and not being able to open the hood.)

Default Re: Anyone planning NOT to root?

The SIII is definitely capable of not being rooted and still being blazing fast, but ive been in the android world long enough to know that if you don't root then you will not be getting updates as fast, and it'll prolong your phones life in terms of updates. That is also why ill be waiting for the developer version.

For now the locked bootloader is 'okay' because we can use stock roms and such but as far as jelly bean ports are concerned they will take longer because of the kernel issue.

I don't think I'm going to root until I see some awesome ROMs and MODs appear.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock, Bugless Beast

I'm perfectly fine with keeping my S3 stock right now. If Pete makes a version of Bugless Beast for the S3, then I might consider it.

No rooting the GS3 for me, but then again I have never really gotten into the whole rooting thing.

I always root if only for the functionality of backup/restore for data and the full rom itself. Plus eventually the stock OS will get stale and waiting on verizon updates is worse than pulling your own teeth.
    Energy hoarder

Global Posts
    1,473 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock rooted

I only rooted for certain apps that require it, and to remove some bloat. I'm quite happy with the stock rom configuration.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

ROM
    Stock

No plans to root at this time.
    I am completely satisfied with its stock configuration. I'm not even using a launcher. I put on Nova and took it off. I actually like touchwiz better on the S3.

Once CM10 has a stable release candidate, I will re-evaluate
    brucedbr and delo999 like this.

Haven't rooted yet because the device is pretty great out of the box. Though I am missing my Titanium Backup and Full backups.

If I only root and install a custom recovery, will that ensure that any OTA updates pushed by Verizon will fail?

Quote Originally Posted by nexsin View Post
    The SIII is definitely capable of not being rooted and still being blazing fast, but ive been in the android world long enough to know that if you don't root then you will not be getting updates as fast, and it'll prolong your phones life in terms of updates. That is also why ill be waiting for the developer version.

For now the locked bootloader is 'okay' because we can use stock roms and such but as far as jelly bean ports are concerned they will take longer because of the kernel issue.
    The AOSP version of the next gen OS always takes about as long as the carrier version (in cases where its actually still supported by the carrier) so I dont think full romming of the S3 will make sense for a long time. Nothing against AOSP, but they are always bleeding edge when it comes to new models. I mean even the fascinate is just starting to see decent roms that dont break more than they fix. I am interested in a nice near-stock cleaned rom but whole new kernels and bootloaders just arent going to be useful for a while.

I rooted my Charge because the roms and kernals were the only things that made the phone workable. So far I am happy with my S3 as is.
    sent from my awesome Galaxy S3

I'm like most of the others here. I may root for just the access to Titanium Backup and Restore. I had forgotten how wonderfully useful that function is until I moved from my Charge to this phone. I wound up losing my mileage data from Trip Master Pro, as the back up and restore on it didn't work.

Other than that, I'm estatically happy with my S3 as is!

Global Posts
    1,377 Global Posts
    ROM
    Always changing

I didnt plan on rooting......only held out 15 mins
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Quote Originally Posted by Kalnel View Post
    Anyone thinking about not rooting their SIII for a while? I always enjoy playing with new ROMs, etc., but in terms of functionality, I'm about 96% happy with stock right now.

So far, the only things I'd be inclined to fix are the annoying wi-fi pop up and access to Google Wallet.

(But, that said, I'm still really pissed about the locked boot loader. It's like buying a car and not being able to open the hood.)
    As I haven't activated my phone yet (even though it's been here for days) I am thinking of keeping it stock. Coming from the Droid X (rooted) the jump to ICS alone nevermind the speed increase will be night and day. Frankly, I mainly use root now only for my mobile hotspot. Seeing as how I can use PDAnet w/o root not really sure that I even need it. Maybe if the Touch interface bothers my I'll consider it but for now I think I'll stick to the stock.
    BEACH BUM

Global Posts
    1,947 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock : Rooted, Unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by dubge View Post
    I didnt plan on rooting......only held out 15 mins
    Which process did you use?
    BEACH BUM

Global Posts
    1,947 Global Posts
    ROM

Quote Originally Posted by jnnyr View Post
    [HL]As I haven't activated my phone yet (even though it's been here for days)[/HL] I am thinking of keeping it stock. Coming from the Droid X (rooted) the jump to ICS alone nevermind the speed increase will be night and day. Frankly, I mainly use root now only for my mobile hotspot. Seeing as how I can use PDAnet w/o root not really sure that I even need it. Maybe if the Touch interface bothers my I'll consider it but for now I think I'll stick to the stock.
    Ha, I did the same thing, had it sitting on my desk for 4 days before I activated it.

Global Posts
    1,377 Global Posts
    ROM
    Always changing

I used odin to flash the phone then I few days later I used Rom Manager to install CWM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    BEACH BUM

Global Posts
    1,947 Global Posts
    ROM

I used odin to flash the phone then I few days later I used Rom Manager to install CWM
    Invisiblek or Route66?

Global Posts
    1,377 Global Posts
    ROM
    Always changing

Invisiblek
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    BEACH BUM

Global Posts
    1,947 Global Posts
    ROM

Invisiblek
    Thanks. I am waiting a little longer and will probably use "Route66".

Global Posts
    378 Global Posts

Everything seems to be working okay so I don't plan to root, for now.

ROM
    ICS blazer ROM

I'm also waiting a little bit until I root.

I also had planned to not root since the phone is so fast and I like almost everything about it. Then Google now became available... so much for that. I am rooted with twrp recovery and have a (mostly) working Google now service!

Rooting and installing recovery was super easy, just follow the steps. I used rte 66 and it took maybe 15 minutes. I now control MY phone again.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums