Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

Default Re: [Guide] Root & Recovery for the Verizon Galaxy S3 (SCH-i535)

Ok, so I used this a few weeks ago and everything has been running great but I can't figure out HOW to remove CWM. Searching google just gets me a ton of stuff on how to install it. If I use the stock image, will it erase it correctly? I forgot about it yesterday and tried to do the update which ended up failing and sending me to cwm recovery. I want to do the update and see if it improves my wifi or 4g performance before rooting again.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #52  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dave421 View Post
    Ok, so I used this a few weeks ago and everything has been running great but I can't figure out HOW to remove CWM. Searching google just gets me a ton of stuff on how to install it. If I use the stock image, will it erase it correctly? I forgot about it yesterday and tried to do the update which ended up failing and sending me to cwm recovery. I want to do the update and see if it improves my wifi or 4g performance before rooting again.
    I just added instructions to the 3rd post of this thread.

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

awesome! thanks!

Global Posts
    213 Global Posts

I wonder if someone could help me. I am on a custom rom, kernel, theme and I wanted to restore the backup I made right after I rooted and unlocked the phone and right before I flashed my 1st rom. For whatever reason that backup file is not working, there is an error while restoring so I can't restore my backup before my rom. Could I just go back into Odin and run the Rooted Verizon Stock Image aka Root66 again? Will that bring me back to stock, rooted, unlocked and then I can make a backup from that starting point and then start flashing roms again?

Thanks.
    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #55  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DieselNY View Post
    I wonder if someone could help me. I am on a custom rom, kernel, theme and I wanted to restore the backup I made right after I rooted and unlocked the phone and right before I flashed my 1st rom. For whatever reason that backup file is not working, there is an error while restoring so I can't restore my backup before my rom. Could I just go back into Odin and run the Rooted Verizon Stock Image aka Root66 again? Will that bring me back to stock, rooted, unlocked and then I can make a backup from that starting point and then start flashing roms again?

Thanks.
    By any chance did you rename that backup file you made of the ROM? I've heard of cases where renaming the file and using spaces will cause errors when trying to restore it. So make sure you don't have any spaces in the file name if you did. Example: rom backup123 should be changed to rom_backup123.

And yes you can run root66 again to get back to stock.

Global Posts
    213 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber Warrior View Post
    By any chance did you rename that backup file you made of the ROM? I've heard of cases where renaming the file and using spaces will cause errors when trying to restore it. So make sure you don't have any spaces in the file name if you did. Example: rom backup123 should be changed to rom_backup123.

And yes you can run root66 again to get back to stock.
    I think I did rename it but it looks like this:

2012-09-01-10.09.59

Which looks like all my other recent backups that restore with no problems. So not sure what happened.

So if I do Odin click PDA and run root66 it will bring me back to stock, rooted and unlocked? Will it wipe my SD card?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #57  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

Yes... it will not affect the bootloader or delete the sd card.

Global Posts
    213 Global Posts

Great thanks I will do that. I just want to make sure this won't cause any problems since I will be doing the Root66 while ClockworkMod Recovery has already been installed. Unlike the original root instructions which all for doing root66 then ClockworkMod Recovery.

Is there a way I can have jellybean on my phone now that I've rooted it?
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #60  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by revofev View Post
    Is there a way I can have jellybean on my phone now that I've rooted it?
    Yes.. Ask the members in the flashers lounge which is the best JB ROM.
    SGSIII ROMs Galore! The Flasher's Lounge.
    creccaj1 likes this.

Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.0.4 / 4.1.1

I just used this method and everything looks good until the last reboot. The phone sits at the initial 4GLTE screen with the flashing colorful circles.

Any ideas?
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #63  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cceller View Post
    I just used this method and everything looks good until the last reboot. The phone sits at the initial 4GLTE screen with the flashing colorful circles.

Any ideas?
    Give it a few minutes.. If nothing, try pulling the battery and restarting the phone.

Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.0.4 / 4.1.1

15 minutes or so, still blinking (I had already pulled the battery and restarted twice).
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #65  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cceller View Post
    15 minutes or so, still blinking (I had already pulled the battery and restarted twice).
    yeah it shouldn't take that long, something went wrong somewhere. You can either try pushing the rooted stock image to the phone again or you need to push the Verizon stock factory image back to the phone so at least you can get it working again

Hello Cyber,

I could use some help. I rooted my S3 via the Odin method shortly after I got the phone about a month ago. Verizon's OTA update came through over this past weekend and unrooted my phone, even though I was give the option to "fix" the root in recovery during the update installation. I chose "no".

Anyway, pressing the volume button, home and power no longer boots you into recovery. Are you aware of a new method to root or has Verizon locked up the phone to stop rooting altogether?

thanks for any help, its greatly appreciated, phathiker
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #67  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

If you lost root, then you lost the custom recovery. What are you saying?... you can't get into download mode (volume down + home button + power button)?

You need to be in download mode for ODIN.

The first step of the Odin process: turn off phone and then boot it back up into what you call "Odin mode" by pressing those buttons together. When I do that now, instead of booting into Odin mode, I get a screen that shows the Samsung logo with a picture of an unlocked padlock underneath with the word "Custom" under it. It then boots up normally.

Any advice? Am I screwed?
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #69  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

No you're not screwed.. That screen just means it's recognizing something different other then stock.
    Are you sure you're pressing volume down... and not up when trying to get into ODIN?
    Also.. are you sure you lost root? Can you access any root apps like Titanium or ROM Manager?

Sorry for all the questions.. I just need to see exactly what's going on.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #70  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

Try pressing the buttons in this order... Home.. Volume Down.. Then the power button.. Hold all three together until the phone boots into Download Mode.

No worries for the questions. Beggars can't be choosers :-)

First, I'm sure I'm pressing the correct buttons i. e. volume down. Your order correction did not work.... same result.

Second, I'm fairly sure I lost root. I can open rom manager but it will not flash cwm. I can open tit. backup but I get a message saying it will not function without root access. When I try to update the superuser app, it fails.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #72  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

I've never heard of that happening to where you can't get into download mode unless the phone was bricked by installing a non Verizon ROM.. that's the one and only time I've heard of that happening but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

It could be that you're releasing the buttons at the wrong time.. I'm not sure, you can try pulling the battery and then trying the button combo again to see if it helps.

Other then that the only things I can think of are
    1. If you know how to use adb or fastboot commands.. you can try entering that way.
    2. There's a one click app that you can use to get root. It still doesn't explain the download mode problem. Hopefully after rooting you can get it working. [ROOT][TOOL][2012-07-24] GS3DebugFSRoot: Root the Verizon GSIII without flashing - xda-developers
    3. I've never used this before but there's an ODIN app available in the Play Store.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...odin.pro&hl=en

Morning Cyber,

Sorry I didn't back to you. I fell asleep.

I am currently at work and will try those suggestions later. I will report back then.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #74  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by phathiker View Post
    Morning Cyber,

Sorry I didn't back to you. I fell asleep.

I am currently at work and will try those suggestions later. I will report back then.
    Okay thanks.. yeah keep me updated if you can. I know you'll be able to get root back without a problem but I'm curious to see what's going on with your phone not booting into download mode.

I was able to give the Odin app a shot. It was unable to detect my device, first thing it said when I opened it.

For what its worth, here is a screen cap of my current build info: http://i.imgur.com/vd8F7.png

When I originally rooted, I never changed my ROM from the stock image provided for the rooting process. I suppose I should have done that but I was waiting for a stable version of CM10.

I don't have my USB cable so I will give the root tool a shot later today.
    Thanked by:
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast