Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #76  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

Default Re: [Guide] Root & Recovery for the Verizon Galaxy S3 (SCH-i535)

Did you ever unlock the bootloader? I wonder if that's what is affecting you not being able to get into download mode. Normally accepting on OTA on a rooted device will just cause you to lose root... but with the unlocked bootloader (if yours is) may have screwed something up when you received the OTA.

I'm puzzled as to what's causing you not to be able to boot into ODIN. I'll see if I can dig up any info on not being able to boot into download mode but as I mentioned.. It seems rare as I couldn't search for anyone with that same issue.. normally people have issues not being able to boot into recovery... but I'll take another look to see if I can find a solution. I would use that one click program that I linked for rooting and unlocking the bootloader.. hopefully re flashing the files will fix whatever got screwed up.

I know it sucks to do.. but have you tried factory resetting the phone?
    Thanked by:

Never unlocked the bootloader and haven't tried factory reset yet. Wanted to exhaust my options before I came to that.

Will try the one-click when I get home and report back.

Thanks again for the help. I really appreciate it.

Update: Root has been restored!. The root tool posted by Ninja in your second suggestion did the trick.

I am off to flash a CM nightly to stop this happening again.

Thanks again for all the help Cyber. I am in your debt.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #79  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

Ah good, glad you're back up and running. Any word on getting ODIN/Download Mode booting up?

Still doesn't seem to be working. Pressed home button, then volume down, then power, in that order, until all are being pressed at the same time and phone boots up. No Odin mode. Although, now the unlocked padlock and word 'custom' are no longer there. Only the word 'Samsung', which was there before. This is after I flashed cwm. I know it worked before because that is how I rooted initially. So it seems that the OTA update got rid of that somehow? If there is anything else you need to try, feel free to ask.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #81  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

The only thing that comes to mind is that you're possibly holding the buttons for too long or too little. The last thing I can recommend is try holding the buttons until you see the Samsung logo and then letting go OR hold the buttons for as long as you can.. all the way through the boot up process and see if you have any luck.

I too am experiencing the custom lock and padlock symbol when trying to get to reboot. I have held all three buttons down and in different orders. I lost root titanium dont work. This all happened after verizon ota for sch i 535. I had flashed back to route 66

That's it. I was releasing the buttons when the phone vibrated. Holding them longer, past the vibration, put me into "Odin" mode. Now I feel like a dumbass.

That's some good cyber sleuthing there Lou........

cheers mate, have a good one. and thanks again
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #84  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by phathiker View Post
    That's it. I was releasing the buttons when the phone vibrated. Holding them longer, past the vibration, put me into "Odin" mode. Now I feel like a dumbass.

That's some good cyber sleuthing there Lou........

cheers mate, have a good one. and thanks again
    :facepalm: you're welcome.. glad everything is working.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts

for some reason I can not exact the file 66 , windows say find online program to open it. Even if I click pda on ODIN it hides the file ? what do I do
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #86  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tofast30 View Post
    for some reason I can not exact the file 66 , windows say find online program to open it. Even if I click pda on ODIN it hides the file ? what do I do
    The file 7z is an archive (compressed) file, like .ZIP or .RAR; with similar and in many cases better compression... you will need to extract it first with this program:

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

Thanks for all the hard work in putting together this easy to understand tutorial. Just got my S3 about a week ago and now am ready to install a new rom

ROM
    Stock

Hello everyone
    I am in need of help. I just received my new Galaxy S3. I had a thunderbolt with Cyano and wanted it again. I rooted my galaxy... but ***** me forgot to unlock the bootloader. I would get the Yellow triangle with "System software not authorized by Verizon Wireless has been found on your found. Please turn off your phone and go to nearest Verizon Wireless store for help." I used your tutorial (Cyber Warrior) to get my phone back to stock. I have successfully followed you instructions but once I get to Step 7... Odin loads then ends the file. It will not let me flash it. I am completely stuck. Any help is appreciated. If there is another way to get my phone back to stock please let me know. It is currently on a restart loop but I can enter ODIN mode.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #89  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pistonsfan2726 View Post
    Hello everyone
    I am in need of help. I just received my new Galaxy S3. I had a thunderbolt with Cyano and wanted it again. I rooted my galaxy... but ***** me forgot to unlock the bootloader. I would get the Yellow triangle with "System software not authorized by Verizon Wireless has been found on your found. Please turn off your phone and go to nearest Verizon Wireless store for help." I used your tutorial (Cyber Warrior) to get my phone back to stock. I have successfully followed you instructions but once I get to Step 7... Odin loads then ends the file. It will not let me flash it. I am completely stuck. Any help is appreciated. If there is another way to get my phone back to stock please let me know. It is currently on a restart loop but I can enter ODIN mode.
    Follow this guide:
    Thanked by:
    pistonsfan2726 likes this.

ROM
    Stock

Thank you very much Cyber Warrior. So far everything is going smoothly.

P.S. I figured out what was wrong so I deleted my last post.
    Last edited by pistonsfan2726; 10-12-2012 at 09:37 PM.

ROM
    Stock

Phone is back up and running. Thank you so very much for your help.

Cheers!
    Last edited by pistonsfan2726; 10-12-2012 at 10:20 PM.
    Thanked by:
    Cyber Warrior likes this.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #92  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

Glad you got it working again... what was giving you trouble and how'd you solve it? in case if someone else ever runs into the same problem they have an answer.. Thanks.
    Thanked by:
    pistonsfan2726 likes this.

ROM
    Stock

The problems I ran into were:
    1) You cannot successfully flash a file that was download 2+ times. What I mean by this is.... I downloaded the "BOOTLOADER_I535VRALF2" twice which stuck a (2) at the end. I didn't even notice it but once it was removed, it flashed successfully.
    2) In order to get the root66.tar file to properly flash, I had to "reset" and exit ODIN(pc), then unplug my phone (still in ODIN mode "downloading"), reload up ODIN (pc) and then replug my phone back in.

These were the only two main problems that I came across. Once again, I really appreciate your help Cyber Warrior. If you do not mind me bothering you again, what root do you recommended? I am not going to put a ROM on just want it rooted.

My downfall was my stupidity! Do NOT attempt to put a ROM on a phone with a locked bootloader :P
    Thanked by:
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #94  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

Method 1&2 would be the fastest and easiest.. Everyone has their own preferences, some like ODIN and some don't. For myself I like using ODIN which is method #3.. If you're not comfortable using ODIN, then use method 1 or 2 which are "one step" root programs.

Before the recent over the air update that the GS3 just received, Method 3 was a lot simpler.. It only involved flashing the root66 file through ODIN and that was it. Now because of the new update, it's a lot more steps that you have to go through.

I actually just added a 120GB partition to my MacBook Pro for Windows 7, just so I can root and flash my S3. I've read the instructions three times over since yesterday, tried to commit steps to memory, and I think I'm ready. Wish me luck.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #96  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

Good luck fellow Staten Islander

You know Method 1 works with the Mac OS right? You didn't have to partition if you didnt want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber Warrior View Post
    Good luck fellow Staten Islander

You know Method 1 works with the Mac OS right? You didn't have to partition if you didnt want to.
    The third file I need to download for the root steps (Java JDK) on Mac/Linux didn't work, unfortunately. The site says a 404, or can't be opened, or something to that effect. Plus, I'd read on reddit and other Android sites that the communication between the S3 and Mountain Lion update isn't consistent. Figured I'd just make the partition for now, and if Samsung/Apple decide to play nice, I'll remove Windows 7.

But now that I know there's a fellow Staten Islander here, I'll likely send you a PM and discuss money for your services to meet me in the Staten Island Mall and teach me if I can't get this right. lol.

EDIT: I... I think I did it. Went all the way up to 6.0.1 and hit Flash. I was sitting for a second, expecting it to reboot my phone and such. Now I'm just going to seek out a good ROM to remove all the bloatware Verizon and Samsung imposed on me. Awesome guide, man! I really appreciate it.
    Last edited by ThatsAngel; 10-13-2012 at 10:16 AM.
    Thanked by:
    Cyber Warrior likes this.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #98  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsAngel View Post
    The third file I need to download for the root steps (Java JDK) on Mac/Linux didn't work, unfortunately. The site says a 404, or can't be opened, or something to that effect. Plus, I'd read on reddit and other Android sites that the communication between the S3 and Mountain Lion update isn't consistent. Figured I'd just make the partition for now, and if Samsung/Apple decide to play nice, I'll remove Windows 7.

But now that I know there's a fellow Staten Islander here, I'll likely send you a PM and discuss money for your services to meet me in the Staten Island Mall and teach me if I can't get this right. lol.

EDIT: I... I think I did it. Went all the way up to 6.0.1 and hit Flash. I was sitting for a second, expecting it to reboot my phone and such. Now I'm just going to seek out a good ROM to remove all the bloatware Verizon and Samsung imposed on me. Awesome guide, man! I really appreciate it.
    Thats true.. I never trust those so called one step programs. I would have used ODIN also.. Glad everything worked out for you. If you're looking for a good stock ROM with some added features, I recommend CleanROM with the Crap Mod tweaks.

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    216 Global Posts

all the methods are up to date with G7?

I noticed only method 2 mentioned it worked with all updates.

Also, using odin is the only way to return to stock correct? I was so use to using odin with the fascinate, might just continue with it, especially if its the only way to go back to clean stock.

thanks for the help! I need some clean stock.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #100  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

Yes all methods are up to date with G7 and I believe you are right about ODIN being the only method to return to stock.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast