Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Default Re: [Guide] Root & Recovery for the Verizon Galaxy S3 (SCH-i535)

I can confirm debugfs root tool works on the latest VRLHE OTA from Verizon, in case anyone was curious.
    Thanked by 3:
    Cyber Warrior likes this.

Default Re: [Guide] Root & Recovery for the Verizon Galaxy S3 (SCH-i53

I want to retract my comment.

Refer to anyone flashing CM9/CM10 or AOKP that could possible lead to loss of IMEI and important info contain to the S3. Question was answered here:
    [GUIDE] VZW Galaxy S3 Flashing Guide

Great guide as usual Cyber!
    Thanked by:

Default Re: [Guide] Root/Recovery/Unlock Bootloader for the Verizon Galaxy S3 (SCH-i535)

I would like to root my galaxy s3 is it safe seeing that I just received the ota update

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #104  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

Default Re: [Guide] Root/Recovery/Unlock Bootloader for the Verizon Galaxy S3 (SCH-i535)

Quote Originally Posted by kapsiakchris View Post
    I would like to root my galaxy s3 is it safe seeing that I just received the ota update

Yes, I updated this guide after the latest OTA.. all methods will work.

Thanks

Hey guys,

I'm freaking out a little bit.

I'm on the VRLHE software and used the Casual tool to root, unlock my bootloader and install CWR.

Everything went smoothly, but now I'm not receiving text messages. I haven't flashed any custom roms, I'm just sitting on stock TouchWiz (rooted and unlocked).

Any thoughts or advice would really be appreciated!
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #107  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bonebrightd View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm freaking out a little bit.

I'm on the VRLHE software and used the Casual tool to root, unlock my bootloader and install CWR.

Everything went smoothly, but now I'm not receiving text messages. I haven't flashed any custom roms, I'm just sitting on stock TouchWiz (rooted and unlocked).

Any thoughts or advice would really be appreciated!
    It shouldn't mess with text messages at all unless you lost your IMEI # but that would be from flashing ROMs and you would have no service whatsoever. You're able to receive calls and emails correct? Try rebooting your phone and double check your sms/text settings.. maybe you accidentally disabled something.. Or it could just be the network was having issues from the storm. Are you still having this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber Warrior View Post
    It shouldn't mess with text messages at all unless you lost your IMEI # but that would be from flashing ROMs and you would have no service whatsoever. You're able to receive calls and emails correct? Try rebooting your phone and double check your sms/text settings.. maybe you accidentally disabled something.. Or it could just be the network was having issues from the storm. Are you still having this problem?
    Thanks for the reply. I was able to receive calls and email, and other people were able to receive my text messages, but I wasn't able to receive any texts. I rebooted a few times and even did a battery pull, but nothing solved it.

I ended up flashing AOKP M1 and everything worked fine. The only thing I can think of that I could have messed up was deleting the recovery.img (CWM) and unsecured aboot.img once I had booted up into stock, rooted, unlocked. Would that have any effect?

It may not be a big deal as I could just flash a custom TW rom now, but I'm worried texts won't work if I ever had to nandroid back to stock, rooted, unlocked.

Any thoughts?
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #109  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bonebrightd View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I was able to receive calls and email, and other people were able to receive my text messages, but I wasn't able to receive any texts. I rebooted a few times and even did a battery pull, but nothing solved it.

I ended up flashing AOKP M1 and everything worked fine. The only thing I can think of that I could have messed up was deleting the recovery.img (CWM) and unsecured aboot.img once I had booted up into stock, rooted, unlocked. Would that have any effect?

It may not be a big deal as I could just flash a custom TW rom now, but I'm worried texts won't work if I ever had to nandroid back to stock, rooted, unlocked.

Any thoughts?
    No thats fine also.. you can delete those files once you're finished using them... strange. I'll keep an eye out if I notice any others who had a similar problem and report back if I hear anything.

After step 4 the phone won't let me enter download mode. The screen pops up then it reboots. I did notice that when starting up the first display says Samsung on on the bottom it has a picture of an unlocked lock.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #111  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

[note]Guide Now Includes Unroot Method[/note]

Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    ROM
    Eclipse 2.0

Here's the direct link from MegaShare: http://www.MegaShare.com/dnd/4384479....vzw_root66.7z

ok tried direct link.. and then couldnt get any file,, was i supposed to try to get to "vzw_root66.zip" ? if so mega wouldnt let me ask nor DL any file

Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    ROM
    Eclipse 2.0

i was rooted by had no CWM.. i can use "odin" if need to
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #114  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by papa54 View Post
    i was rooted by had no CWM.. i can use "odin" if need to
    yes.

ROM
    Stock

I have a question regarding the CWM version. I am thinking about tossing CM on my phone but I was not sure what version of CWM is the best to use. I currently have 6.0.1.2 (from ROM Manager) but I also have EZ-Recovery installed. Should I flash back to 6.0.1.0? Or is 6.0.1.2 better? Also, is ROM Manager an easy and reliable choice for flashing CM 10? I used it back when I had my Thunderbolt and it worked like a charm but not sure if it is the best choice for the Galaxy.

P.S. I forgot to mention that I rooted/unlocked bootloader with method 2.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #116  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

I'd say the latest version would most likely be better but as long as it works then thats all that matters so 6.0.1.0 or 6.0.1.2 should be fine. You can use ROM Manager but only use it to boot into ClockWorkMod Recovery.. dont use ROM Manager to download ROMs and install them. Get the downloads from the developers sites like XDA or Rootzwiki and follow their instructions.

ROM
    Stock

What guide do you recommend to follow for flashing CM? I see your running CleanROM so you probably do not have a preference, but its worth an ask.

Thanks once again Cyber Warrior.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #118  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

[ROM] Official CM10 Nightlies on your GS3!

Latest build is on top of the list.

I have the message system softwar not authorized by verizon wireless has ben found on your phone....
    I am doing the ODIN thing, and it just gives me this info
    <OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
    <OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
    <OSM> Please wait..
    <OSM> COMBINATION_I535VRALG1_I535VZWALG1_743127_REV09_user_low_ship.tar.md5 is valid.
    <OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
    <OSM> Leave CS..
    <OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 0)

I am using the info in the begining of this thread. Do I wait... or should I try something else? I can't get into the WRTP because of the message on my phone.

any help appreciated!

Lareya
    Verizon galaxy S3 - rooted but not locked :-( - was trying to put the cleanrom on and got this system message as stated above.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #120  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lareya View Post
    I have the message system softwar not authorized by verizon wireless has ben found on your phone....
    I am doing the ODIN thing, and it just gives me this info
    <OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
    <OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
    <OSM> Please wait..
    <OSM> COMBINATION_I535VRALG1_I535VZWALG1_743127_REV09_user_low_ship.tar.md5 is valid.
    <OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
    <OSM> Leave CS..

I am using the info in the begining of this thread. Do I wait... or should I try something else? I can't get into the WRTP because of the message on my phone.

any help appreciated!

Lareya
    Verizon galaxy S3 - rooted but not locked :-( - was trying to put the cleanrom on and got this system message as stated above.
    What Method are you using... 3? .....and which step # are you stuck on?

HELP!!!

I just finished step 7 and realized that I had no idea where my sd card was. I was going to go to the store and buy a new one but in the meantime my phone kept on repeatedly rebooting. It would turn on, the Samsung Galaxy S3 logo would show, then restart, etc etc etc. No matter what I did, the phone would not just stay off. I did not want to leave it on and drain the battery as I drove to the store to get a new sd card. Finally, I took out the battery and then put it back in. The phone did not try to automatically restart so I went and got the card. After I got home, I tried turning it on again....nothing happened. No matter what buttons or combination thereof I push, nothing is happening!! The battery was charged when I started the steps and I let it sit , plugged into the wall for an hour, just to be sure. I have taken the battery out for a number of minutes and put it back in. When I put it back in, a battery logo flashes on the screen but then disappears and its unresponsive again. Can anyone please help me with this before I commit a felony?

Ok, so I lurked more and found out that if I took battery out for few seconds, put it back in and IMMEDIATELY turned it on into dl mode it should work, and it did. However, it begs the question, is there a way to get files (zip files in particular) onto the phone via usb rather than using am SD card?
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #123  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by callahanium View Post
    Ok, so I lurked more and found out that if I took battery out for few seconds, put it back in and IMMEDIATELY turned it on into dl mode it should work, and it did. However, it begs the question, is there a way to get files (zip files in particular) onto the phone via usb rather than using am SD card?
    Yes... PC, just use the USB cable from phone to computer. Phone should have usb debugging enabled in the settings and just navigate to your computers hard drive/C: and the phone should be listed as a media device to where you can drag and drop files into the folders.

For a Mac, you can use an app like Kies or Airdrop to transfer files.

You don't need a physical sd card. Your phones internal storage is called "sd card" and thats what they're referring to when saying "put the file on your sd card".... unless it says 'external' sd card.

You can also just download the needed files straight from your phones browser.

I know that...I meant when one is in the middle of the recovery process, the one in which my phone became unresponsive, as described in my immediately previous post to that. While going through these steps, the phone will only boot into download or recovery mode so if the files weren't previously placed on the internal SD card it appeared as if you were screwed.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #125  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by callahanium View Post
    I know that...I meant when one is in the middle of the recovery process, the one in which my phone became unresponsive, as described in my immediately previous post to that. While going through these steps, the phone will only boot into download or recovery mode so if the files weren't previously placed on the internal SD card it appeared as if you were screwed.
    Yes, that's true. You would need a computer with an sd card reader or you can buy external ones I believe for about $15. Pop the sd card out of the phone and into the reader.. transfer your files.. and pop it back into the phone. Ive had to do this myself on a previous phone.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast