Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    ROM
    Eclipse 2.0

Default Re: [Guide] Root & Recovery for the Verizon Galaxy S3 (SCH-i535)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber Warrior View Post
    Did you ever unlock the bootloader? I wonder if that's what is affecting you not being able to get into download mode. Normally accepting on OTA on a rooted device will just cause you to lose root... but with the unlocked bootloader (if yours is) may have screwed something up when you received the OTA.

I'm puzzled as to what's causing you not to be able to boot into ODIN. I'll see if I can dig up any info on not being able to boot into download mode but as I mentioned.. It seems rare as I couldn't search for anyone with that same issue.. normally people have issues not being able to boot into recovery... but I'll take another look to see if I can find a solution. I would use that one click program that I linked for rooting and unlocking the bootloader.. hopefully re flashing the files will fix whatever got screwed up.

I know it sucks to do.. but have you tried factory resetting the phone?

I spent 12 hours reading etc trying this n that to get outta a brick.. but i'm back up running and have the OTA upgrades to 4.1.2. try here it worked for me.
    ><

Tech Geek &bull; Restore your Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 to Stock

20 minutes max

Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    ROM
    Eclipse 2.0

ok now that i have spent hours fixing something because the info was in wrong order I ended up locking my bootloader which bricked my phone GS3..
    i have 4.1.2 where can i find a rooting system that is up to date with the newest GS3 4.1.2.

Has no one figured out a way to root the SCH-i535 on 4.1.2 using Mac yet? I've searched everywhere and the only methods I've found only work on ICS. Someone, somewhere must have figured it out by now. If anybody has any tips post them please!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholi2789 View Post
    Has no one figured out a way to root the SCH-i535 on 4.1.2 using Mac yet? I've searched everywhere and the only methods I've found only work on ICS. Someone, somewhere must have figured it out by now. If anybody has any tips post them please!!
    Check out my suggestions here in response to your questions above... Is It Worth Rooting and Installing CM 4.2.2?

Default Re: [Guide] Root/Unroot/Recovery/Unlock Bootloader for the Verizon Galaxy S3 (SCH-i535)

O need help rooting my s3 4.1.2 Any suggestions? I have tried root-android and the million different options and I get Nothing. Please help

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP B38/Franco R194

Default Re: [Guide] Root/Unroot/Recovery/Unlock Bootloader for the Verizon Galaxy S3 (SCH-i535)

The last two pages have been descriptions of rooting woes. My dad's S3 should be arriving in the mail soon. I'd like to get him on AOKP's MR1 build 6 right away. Just to be clear, do the methods in the first post, #2 specifically, achieve root in the latest firmware? I've got a lot of experience rooting and flashing Motorolas, Samsungs, ereaders, tablets, etc. I'm no expert by any means. I just read... A LOT of what the real experts write. If these methods are still relevant, then I'll make them work. Thanks in advance.
    Joan L Hobeck likes this.

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP B38/Franco R194

I've did some digging, and this appears to be the easiest and most current method. The others may work, but this is confirmed good with VRBMB1 Jelly Bean 4.1.2. Hope this helps.

How To Root ANY Samsung Galaxy S3 4.1.2 & 4.1.1 – Verizon/AT&T/Sprint/T-mobile/I9300 Version Phone Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Mantz View Post
    O need help rooting my s3 4.1.2 Any suggestions? I have tried root-android and the million different options and I get Nothing. Please help
    It's okay. I finally fixed my windows computer and rooted using thus method:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2046439
    Worked great, now I've tried several different Roms. Thanks for the suggestion though.

sent from my Galaxy S3 on beans 14 via tapatalk 2
    Verizon HTC One M8>S-OFF>TWRP-2.7.0.2>VenomRomv1.4>Sandisk 64gb ext SD
    Nexus 7 2012>MultiRom>CM11-M5>PacMan-Nightlies>Francokernel>TWRP2.7.0.0

Still got much love for my retired S3.. Man do I miss MOAR

"If you're killed in the Matrix...You die here?"
    Verizon HTC One M8
    Google Nexus 7 2012
    Verizon Galaxy S4
    Verizon Galaxy S3
    Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    Verizon HTC Incredible 2
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholi2789 View Post
    It's okay. I finally fixed my windows computer and rooted using thus method:
    [GUIDE] Root for Jelly Bean 4.1.1 or 4.1.2 OTA ***UPDATED 3/5*** - xda-developers
    Worked great, now I've tried several different Roms. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Thanks for this, worked great, fast and easy! And following along with the video also helped!

Quote Originally Posted by Hi_Tech_Redneck View Post
    Thanks for this, worked great, fast and easy!
    No problem. That was definetely the easiest guide I found to follow. Fully unlocked, rooted, and with custom recovery. What more could you ask for besides a good Rom to flash? I wish he had a donate button.

Verizon HTC One M8>S-OFF>TWRP-2.7.0.2>VenomRomv1.4>Sandisk 64gb ext SD
    Nexus 7 2012>MultiRom>CM11-M5>PacMan-Nightlies>Francokernel>TWRP2.7.0.0

Still got much love for my retired S3.. Man do I miss MOAR

"If you're killed in the Matrix...You die here?"
    Verizon HTC One M8
    Google Nexus 7 2012
    Verizon Galaxy S4
    Verizon Galaxy S3
    Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    Verizon HTC Incredible 2
    Hi_Tech_Redneck likes this.

you can't use mac to root your phone cause there is no version of odin that support mac.

Method 2 step 7. Im stuck on this step.

"Testing superuser...
    /system/bin/sh: /system/xbin/su: not found

uid and gid should both be 0.
    Are they? <y/n>:"

I have no idea what this means :P Is there an easy way to check this?
    Live Free or Die.

Quote Originally Posted by scubamike View Post
    I've did some digging, and this appears to be the easiest and most current method. The others may work, but this is confirmed good with VRBMB1 Jelly Bean 4.1.2. Hope this helps.

How To Root ANY Samsung Galaxy S3 4.1.2 & 4.1.1 Verizon/AT&T/Sprint/T-mobile/I9300 Version Phone Rebel
    Hmm. I don't know. I tried following that to root my Verizon and I got the "Your software is not authorized" warning upon bootup...couldn't even get into Recovery had to use Download and restore the ROM to the 'Stock' (4.0.4 I think it was).

Followed every step to the letter. Yes, even the special step for us Verizon users.

I believe my bootloader failed to unlock. But have no idea why.

I'm trying to recall if Verizon pushed out any updates after 4.1.2; like a stealth patch. Because there's no other reason for this to have failed.

I don't have access to a Windows box these days, and i'm pretty sure i have seen a guide to rooting and unlocking the bootloader on linux. Can anyone point me to a link, or some info on where to look? Anyone done this using Heimdall instead of Odin?
    I have had troubles in the past trying to root using a windows virtual machine on one of my Linux computers.
    Verizon GS3, 4.1.2

edit: i have unrooted my phone, but the APN comeback as verizon
    and i need to change it
    it's possible to root, unlock and then unroot but with apn that remains?

ROM
    HydroROM - ZR3DX ICS

ive got a question, I just unrooted my sons vzw gs3. in the instructions it says to reset the flash counter, then flash the bootchain via odin, then the stock rom via odin.

I used triange away and it was successful, then i flashed the bootchain via odin and it was successful also ( i unchecked auto reboot and f reset so that i could flash the rom right after the boot chain. Then i tried to flash the rom via odin and it locked up on me. I rebooted into download mode and it finally flashed the rom. the phone is up and running again but when it reboots i see the little unlocked symbol.

how do i relock it? it is obvious that its been tampered with.
    Sprint GS3

Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    ROM
    Eclipse 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by xcpefrmreality View Post
    ive got a question, I just unrooted my sons vzw gs3. in the instructions it says to reset the flash counter, then flash the bootchain via odin, then the stock rom via odin.

I used triange away and it was successful, then i flashed the bootchain via odin and it was successful also ( i unchecked auto reboot and f reset so that i could flash the rom right after the boot chain. Then i tried to flash the rom via odin and it locked up on me. I rebooted into download mode and it finally flashed the rom. the phone is up and running again but when it reboots i see the little unlocked symbol.

how do i relock it? it is obvious that its been tampered with.

bro, you dont even want to go there. cause once you lock the boot loader then yer up crap creek and no paddle.. sure you will gets OTA updates to 4.1.2 but its about worthless. If you lock boot chain you cant do anything much and even then the phone may lock up (bricked) nothing but a piece of junk.. but there is a place to go to rework the phone like it had come ooutta the box.. then yer in over yer head as there isnt any up to date stuff for the 4.1.2 no root, no recovery, and apparently no one gives a crap.. that where i am now.. oh be sure if ya brick it bad.. just go to odin right click and run as administrator.. to get back where you are or beyond. trust me theres not much out there for a 4.1.2 >>> for the 4.2.2 seems to be on the rise and 4.1.2 left in the dust. heres the one file you will have to odin to get outta the brick when you get there .welp i cant paste it but its there look for GEEK and the fix is there.. all of this a taste of the crap I am going through right now...

ROM
    HydroROM - ZR3DX ICS

Quote Originally Posted by papa54 View Post
    bro, you dont even want to go there. cause once you lock the boot loader then yer up crap creek and no paddle.. sure you will gets OTA updates to 4.1.2 but its about worthless. If you lock boot chain you cant do anything much and even then the phone may lock up (bricked) nothing but a piece of junk.. but there is a place to go to rework the phone like it had come ooutta the box.. then yer in over yer head as there isnt any up to date stuff for the 4.1.2 no root, no recovery, and apparently no one gives a crap.. that where i am now.. oh be sure if ya brick it bad.. just go to odin right click and run as administrator.. to get back where you are or beyond. trust me theres not much out there for a 4.1.2 >>> for the 4.2.2 seems to be on the rise and 4.1.2 left in the dust. heres the one file you will have to odin to get outta the brick when you get there .welp i cant paste it but its there look for GEEK and the fix is there.. all of this a taste of the crap I am going through right now...
    Thanks for the reply! The unlock symbol is gone when I reboot. We did take 2 otas that brought it up to 4.1.2. But it's all good because the phone is getting replaced anyway because of a bad charging port. New phone will be here sometime this week.

Binary flash counter is back to zero
    Firmware is back to "normal"
    Unlock symbol is gone
    Stock image is installed with no traces of root.
    It's ready to go back to Verizon.

Edit... btw, I rooted this gs3 when it had 4.1.2, wonder why you're having problems rooting?
    Sprint GS3

Anyone know how to flash back to stock using heimdall. My bootloader was locked and I am now softbricked. I dont have access to a windows machine and need to fix phone. Im using a verzon version. Thanks

Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP (M5) Franco (M4)

I tried using the second method, and it keeps saying it fails to push the files in RootDebugFS...

Global Posts
    1 Global Posts

wanting to root my verizon galaxy S3(SCH-i535) with a mac OS X version 10.6.8. I was looking around and this seems to be the easiest way for a novice but I cant get the links to work to download the 3 files. Can anyone help out a novice at this? this is the files i can't seem to get to. Also will these work on a mac?

Samsung driver- http://tinyw.in/Fdoz
    Adam Outler's Casual- Dev-Host - Verizon-GS3-CASUAL-Revision131a.jar - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service
    Java JDK- http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...s-1591156.html

Hi all,
    Since the last update to the Verizon S3 (v 4.1.2, Build # JZ054K.I535VRBMD3, Kernel v 3.0.31-1121237) has the rooting process changed at all? Can I still follow these instructions?
    Thanks,
    Mike

I have tried following the instructions and it did not work for me. I read somewhere (sorry dont remember link) that the method works as long as you DONT accept the new update. Some people have said they lost root in then later applying the update.

Default Re: [Guide] Root & Recovery for the Verizon Galaxy S3 (SCH-i53

Get error404 on the very first download link (the samsung driver). I didn't make it very far at all.

ROM
    Harmonia 2.07

Default Re: [Guide] Root & Recovery for the Verizon Galaxy S3 (SCH-i53

Quote Originally Posted by thetanman101 View Post
    Get error404 on the very first download link (the samsung driver). I didn't make it very far at all.
    Same here. I found essentially the same instructions at XDA and the link to the files is good. I just downloaded them, myself. Good luck. I'm still waiting for my S3 to arrive, so I'm pre-geeking.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast