Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Default Re: [GUIDE] Restore Back to Clean Factory Stock UPDATE 9/22

Thanks for the response! I figured it out on my own with no issues somehow, and then I ended up rerooting it, but now I'm trying to put it back on stock. Flip floppin', I know :-). I flashed the kernel following the instructions but instead of saying PASS the box just reads RESET. I didn't touch it for a while because your guide says not to reset it, but it hasn't changed. Thanks for the continued updates!

Update: I fixed my issue, I had to boot into recovery and wipe data. Reset the device and back on track.
    Last edited by HalfwayJames; 09-22-2012 at 10:54 PM.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #52  

Default [GUIDE] Restore Back to Clean Factory Stock UPDATE 9/22

Quote Originally Posted by Defcon One View Post
    Question. I've got the Samsung "custom unlock" screen when I boot my phone. I assume that means I have an unlocked bootloader.

If I wanted to take my rooted phone back to stock, can I use EZ-Unlock 1.2 to lock it first and then follow the instructions for a locked bootloader, or do i HAVE to follow the instructions for an unlocked bootloader? Thanks.
    I would follow the instructions. Locking the boot loader before anything may softbrick your device.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #53  

Default [GUIDE] Restore Back to Clean Factory Stock UPDATE 9/22

Quote Originally Posted by HalfwayJames View Post
    Thanks for the response! I figured it out on my own with no issues somehow, and then I ended up rerooting it, but now I'm trying to put it back on stock. Flip floppin', I know :-). I flashed the kernel following the instructions but instead of saying PASS the box just reads RESET. I didn't touch it for a while because your guide says not to reset it, but it hasn't changed. Thanks for the continued updates!
    It may take a while to say pass when your phone doesn't reset because you have auto reset off. If it doesn't eventually go to pass let us know but when I did it, it said pass after a while.
    Thanked by:

It eventually went to pass after about 15 minutes, not sure what the hold up was.

Finished all the steps, but when my phone booted back up a window popped up over my homescreen showing a bunch of information (went away, didn't get a good look at it) and the bottom of the screen had a window that said something about the phone being in developer mode. Did I miss something or how do I fix this because this doesn't seem right. Also did a data wipe and still the same screen. Any thoughts?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #55  

It eventually went to pass after about 15 minutes, not sure what the hold up was.

Finished all the steps, but when my phone booted back up a window popped up over my homescreen showing a bunch of information (went away, didn't get a good look at it) and the bottom of the screen had a window that said something about the phone being in developer mode. Did I miss something or how do I fix this because this doesn't seem right. Also did a data wipe and still the same screen. Any thoughts?
    That is weird because my friend who had that same issue but he never rooted/unlocked the device. He just rebooted one day and thats what happened. Try a battery pull, thats what he did and it fixed it.

When I load the kernel and start it says "RESET" is that the same thing as "PASS?" Because I followed the rest of the directions and my phones stays on the Verizon LTE 4G screen, so I pulled the battery and restart the process over? Never mind I waited a while for it to say PASS.

Okay after it showed pass I followed the steps to load the root66 file after pressing start then my phone still reboots and remains stuck on the 4G LTE screen.
    Last edited by revofev; 09-23-2012 at 01:22 PM.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #57  

Quote Originally Posted by revofev View Post
    When I load the kernel and start it says "RESET" is that the same thing as "PASS?" Because I followed the rest of the directions and my phones stays on the Verizon LTE 4G screen, so I pulled the battery and restart the process over? Never mind I waited a while for it to say PASS.
    Yea when you don't auto reboot your device through ODIN it takes longer for PASS to come up. Ill add that to the OP.

Now my phone is stuck on the 4G LTE screen.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #59  

Now my phone is stuck on the 4G LTE screen.
    Unfortunately you pulled the battery before ODIN said PASS, my guess is that is why you are stuck on a boot loop. Follow this here on how to unbrick your device...

Great Tutorial! I followed it to the letter, but still managed to end up in an apparent boot loop, stuck on the 4G LTE screen. I was able to fix it by following the instructions here..

However, I'm picky and wanted to try flashing the Stock Non-rooted ROM once more..... Boot loop again. This time, however, I simply followed the last set of instructions.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1. Reboot into Stock Recovery (hold volume-up, home button, power button simultaneously)

NOTE: You WILL see the following error in recovery so don't freak out:
    Code:
    E:failed to mount /data (Invalid argument)
    E:Can't mount /data/fota/ipth-muc.prop
    Wipe data/factory reset
    Wipe cache partition
    Reboot
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Worked like a charm.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #61  

Quote Originally Posted by J_Ness View Post
    Great Tutorial! I followed it to the letter, but still managed to end up in an apparent boot loop, stuck on the 4G LTE screen. I was able to fix it by following the instructions here..

However, I'm picky and wanted to try flashing the Stock Non-rooted ROM once more..... Boot loop again. This time, however, I simply followed the last set of instructions.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1. Reboot into Stock Recovery (hold volume-up, home button, power button simultaneously)

NOTE: You WILL see the following error in recovery so don't freak out:
    Code:
    Wipe data/factory reset
    Wipe cache partition
    Reboot
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Worked like a charm.
    Thanks for the info! I'll add this to the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by creccaj1 View Post
    That is weird because my friend who had that same issue but he never rooted/unlocked the device. He just rebooted one day and thats what happened. Try a battery pull, thats what he did and it fixed it.
    I ended up just reflashing the stock kernal and rooted ROM, and then rerooting the phone. After that I followed the process again and it went away. So yeah, it was weird but whatever everything's fine now! Thanks for your quick responses by the way, helpful people like you are the reason I come to these forums first above all else.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #63  

I ended up just reflashing the stock kernal and rooted ROM, and then rerooting the phone. After that I followed the process again and it went away. So yeah, it was weird but whatever everything's fine now! Thanks for your quick responses by the way, helpful people like you are the reason I come to these forums first above all else.
    That's why we are here. Sorry to hear that you had a lot of trouble, I had some trouble myself when I first had to do the same thing to send it back for a warranty issue but I guess its all the fun of rooting/hacking lol.

ROM
    Stock Rooted

Is there not an easier way to unroot this device...?
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #65  

ROM
    Stock Rooted

Well I shouldn't have said easier, but less time consuming!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #67  

Quote Originally Posted by Hovik818 View Post
    Well I shouldn't have said easier, but less time consuming!

Simple answer, probably not. Less time consuming methods might cause you to have issues turning into longer issues and making it much more complicated .

ROM
    Stock Rooted

Simple answer, probably not. Less time consuming methods might cause you to have issues turning into longer issues and making it much more complicated .
    That is true. I was going to do it just to be ready for an OTA, but I am sure there will be a zip file for us rooted people for when that happens.

19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #69  

That is true. I was going to do it just to be ready for an OTA, but I am sure there will be a zip file for us rooted people for when that happens.

What OTA? G7 OTA or Jelly Bean? If you are talking about the G7 OTA there is already a rooted version out there for that as well as modems that you can flash based on that build. If you mean Jelly Bean that might not be here for a while because it was only released in Polland the other day and usually it takes longer to come to US devices and then Verizon will take longer due to their testing process. Before you know it there will be a custom ROM for stock Jelly Bean.

ROM
    Stock Rooted

What OTA? G7 OTA or Jelly Bean? If you are talking about the G7 OTA there is already a rooted version out there for that as well as modems that you can flash based on that build. If you mean Jelly Bean that might not be here for a while because it was only released in Polland the other day and usually it takes longer to come to US devices and then Verizon will take longer due to their testing process. Before you know it there will be a custom ROM for stock Jelly Bean.
    What does the G7 OTA bring to the table? I was talking about the Jellybean one. Can the G7 one be dirty flashed over stock rom?

21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #71  

What does the G7 OTA bring to the table? I was talking about the Jellybean one. Can the G7 one be dirty flashed over stock rom?

First off, Jelly Bean one might not be out for weeks/months. No one officially knows.

G7 was the official OTA update that Verizon just recently pushed last week or so. Just bug fixes and updated baseband radios. If you want to, you can flash the G7 baseband over your current ROM.

I softbricked my phone and followed xda to fix it, do I still have to go through the rooting process again or is my phone still rooted? And is the bootloader unlocker? Because when I restarted my phone a samsung screen appears with a unlocked lock and "custom" under it.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #73  

I softbricked my phone and followed xda to fix it, do I still have to go through the rooting process again or is my phone still rooted? And is the bootloader unlocker? Because when I restarted my phone a samsung screen appears with a unlocked lock and "custom" under it.
    If you followed the XDA unbricking thread you should still have root since the image there is the stock root66 file. As far as the bootloader goes, I believe that gets locked when following that since you are flashing the boot images that are stock from Samsung. That happened to me as well, that just means you are running a custom recovery on your phone.

ROM
    CleanRom 2.5

Pretty happy right now with CleanRom 2.5 but just curious. If I did want to return to Factory Stock, should I follow Cyber Warrior's "Back to Stock" instructions in newest root sticky or still stick with method in this thread? Thanks.

Thanks! I was able to successfully return to stock and grab the ota for G7. Now onto rooting, unlocking and flashing all over again! Woop!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast