[GUIDE] Restore Back to Clean Factory Stock UPDATE 10/23

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] Restore Back to Clean Factory Stock

Should I relock my bootloader before this or am I okay to go ahead and so this?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

You are going to need root to re lock the bootloader if you did it with the EZ Unlock App. I would recommend you do it while you still have root access.

taylorz_412

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site

i tried to relock and got met by the vzw message while rebooting after relocking and cant boot to recovery

taylorz_412

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site

and odin still says setting up a conecction and wont move past that

edit $$ it said it failed

taylorz_412

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site

i downloaded the stock root 66 zip which file do i extract and use in odin because the one from cyber warriors thread isnt working

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

i downloaded the stock root 66 zip which file do i extract and use in odin because the one from cyber warriors thread isnt working

The file is compressed in a .zip file. There should only be one file in the zip... stock.vzw_root66.tar

That is the file that you want.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

there is boot.img cache.img.ext4 non-hlos.bin recovery.img and system.img.ext4

Sounds like opened the .tar file. Right click on the actual stock.vzw_root66 file and select properties from the menu. Where it says type of file it should say WinZip file (.tar). If it is a .tar file, that is what you need. Don't extract anything from there.

Edit: Also, while you are there, check the file size as well. Should say it is 1.52 GB under file properties.

Reactions: taylorz_412

taylorz_412

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site

Sounds like opened the .tar file. Right click on the actual stock.vzw_root66 file and select properties from the menu. Where it says type of file it should say WinZip file (.tar). If it is a .tar file, that is what you need. Don't extract anything from there.

Edit: Also, while you are there, check the file size as well. Should say it is 1.52 GB under file properties.

i have never felt like such a noob thanks for your help first time with odin and its kinda intimidating ....

oper8or

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site

I am unable to unzip the files for some reason. Any way I can get the files that are not zip files?

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I am unable to unzip the files for some reason. Any way I can get the files that are not zip files?

All you need is a program like winzip or winrar to unzip. If you can unzip even though you have one of those than it sounds like a bad download.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

Will this relock the bootloader?

If you flash both the OS and Kernel it should. To be on the safe side I would relock the bootloader prior to flashing the original files with ODIN by using the app.

oper8or

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site

Had to re-root and lock the bootloader then flash back to stock again. That did the trick. You may want to make note in the OP that one should relock the bootloader before flashing back, it will save someone like me a lot of extra flashing around. Phone is back to stock and boxed up for UPS to take it to Samsung for repair. Verizon wanted to send a refurb so I went the Samsung route, at least I will get the same phone back.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

Had to re-root and lock the bootloader then flash back to stock again. That did the trick. You may want to make note in the OP that one should relock the bootloader before flashing back, it will save someone like me a lot of extra flashing around. Phone is back to stock and boxed up for UPS to take it to Samsung for repair. Verizon wanted to send a refurb so I went the Samsung route, at least I will get the same phone back.

Yea, that is my fault. Made this guide before out bootloader was unlocked lol. I will make sure to do that.

Does this work on a mac?

Tap'n like a BOSS

You need ODIN. Unless they have a version of ODIN for Mac then I don't believe so.

ejpark

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site

Quick question! But first of all, thanks for this very useful guide!

So, I made a mistake the first time through. After locking my bootloader with EZ-Unlocker, I restarted my phone (I probably shouldn't have... IDK what I was thinking) and got some error about unauthorized software and it said I needed to take my phone to a Verizon Wireless center.

Because of this, I wasn't able to get to EZ-Recovery and do a data wipe, but I went ahead with ODIN and I got to step six and got the green light from ODIN and everything, but my phone wouldn't boot up and got stuck on the flashy, colorful 4G LTE screen. So I pulled my battery and pressed Volume UP + home button + power button to go into recovery mode and did a wipe data/factory reset ONLY! I didn't do wipe davlik cache/format system; I don't think that was an option in the menu I saw. When I did Step Six again, everything worked, and I immediately got sent into the setup wizard (which is what I wanted to do) without having to do Step Seven or a factory reset from the settings.

So here's my question: Is everything fine? Everything looks fine, but I'm worried that something went wrong because I didn't wipe davlik cache/format system. I'd hate to think everything was fine, and then have my phone bricked after my first OTA update. :(

PS I'm a complete noob about this stuff. I rooted my phone for the first time yesterday and got CM10, but I realized that all this rooting business is a bit over my head so I'm trying to get my phone back to the old bloated version designed for people like me.

Update: So when I set up my phone, it already had the wifi info for both my home and school networks saved and my phone automatically connected to my home network. Also, my phone had the default background initally, but then it switched to my old background I used to have before I started rooting/flashing yesterday. This leads me to believe that I didn't do a complete wipe. However, when I installed CM10 yesterday, I used this guide (thanks for that, too :)) and did all the wipes written there. Is it possible that my wallpaper and wifi data were saved by Verizon Backup Assistant or something similar?

Also, when the Play Store reinstalled EZ-Unlocker (with all of my other old apps), I tried opening it, but it told me I was unrooted! :D I don't need my phone to look completely new so I can return it to Verizon or anything. I just want the stock OS back (which I have, I think) and I want to be unrooted (which I am) and bootloader locked so I can safely receive OTA updates. Is there a way to check that my bootloader is locked from my current unrooted state?

Thanks again for this guide and sorry for all the questions. Like I said, I'm a complete noob at all this and just want to get back to the way things were. :p

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol