[GUIDE] Restore Back to Clean Factory Stock UPDATE 10/23

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] Restore Back to Clean Factory Stock UPDATE 9/22

Great Tutorial! I followed it to the letter, but still managed to end up in an apparent boot loop, stuck on the 4G LTE screen. I was able to fix it by following the instructions here..
[HOW-TO] Unbrick your soft bricked Galaxy S III - xda-developers
However, I'm picky and wanted to try flashing the Stock Non-rooted ROM once more..... Boot loop again. This time, however, I simply followed the last set of instructions.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Reboot into Stock Recovery (hold volume-up, home button, power button simultaneously)

NOTE: You WILL see the following error in recovery so don't freak out:
Code:
E:failed to mount /data (Invalid argument)
E:Can't mount /data/fota/ipth-muc.prop
Wipe data/factory reset
Wipe cache partition
Reboot
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Worked like a charm.

Thanks for the info! I'll add this to the OP.

HalfwayJames

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site

That is weird because my friend who had that same issue but he never rooted/unlocked the device. He just rebooted one day and thats what happened. Try a battery pull, thats what he did and it fixed it.

I ended up just reflashing the stock kernal and rooted ROM, and then rerooting the phone. After that I followed the process again and it went away. So yeah, it was weird but whatever everything's fine now! Thanks for your quick responses by the way, helpful people like you are the reason I come to these forums first above all else.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

I ended up just reflashing the stock kernal and rooted ROM, and then rerooting the phone. After that I followed the process again and it went away. So yeah, it was weird but whatever everything's fine now! Thanks for your quick responses by the way, helpful people like you are the reason I come to these forums first above all else.

That's why we are here. Sorry to hear that you had a lot of trouble, I had some trouble myself when I first had to do the same thing to send it back for a warranty issue but I guess its all the fun of rooting/hacking lol.

Hovik818

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

Well I shouldn't have said easier, but less time consuming! :p

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

Well I shouldn't have said easier, but less time consuming! :p

Simple answer, probably not. Less time consuming methods might cause you to have issues turning into longer issues and making it much more complicated :p.

Hovik818

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

Simple answer, probably not. Less time consuming methods might cause you to have issues turning into longer issues and making it much more complicated :p.

That is true. I was going to do it just to be ready for an OTA, but I am sure there will be a zip file for us rooted people for when that happens.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

That is true. I was going to do it just to be ready for an OTA, but I am sure there will be a zip file for us rooted people for when that happens.

What OTA? G7 OTA or Jelly Bean? If you are talking about the G7 OTA there is already a rooted version out there for that as well as modems that you can flash based on that build. If you mean Jelly Bean that might not be here for a while because it was only released in Polland the other day and usually it takes longer to come to US devices and then Verizon will take longer due to their testing process. Before you know it there will be a custom ROM for stock Jelly Bean.

Hovik818

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

What OTA? G7 OTA or Jelly Bean? If you are talking about the G7 OTA there is already a rooted version out there for that as well as modems that you can flash based on that build. If you mean Jelly Bean that might not be here for a while because it was only released in Polland the other day and usually it takes longer to come to US devices and then Verizon will take longer due to their testing process. Before you know it there will be a custom ROM for stock Jelly Bean.

What does the G7 OTA bring to the table? I was talking about the Jellybean one. Can the G7 one be dirty flashed over stock rom?

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

What does the G7 OTA bring to the table? I was talking about the Jellybean one. Can the G7 one be dirty flashed over stock rom?

First off, Jelly Bean one might not be out for weeks/months. No one officially knows.

G7 was the official OTA update that Verizon just recently pushed last week or so. Just bug fixes and updated baseband radios. If you want to, you can flash the G7 baseband over your current ROM.

revofev

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site

I softbricked my phone and followed xda to fix it, do I still have to go through the rooting process again or is my phone still rooted? And is the bootloader unlocker? Because when I restarted my phone a samsung screen appears with a unlocked lock and "custom" under it.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

I softbricked my phone and followed xda to fix it, do I still have to go through the rooting process again or is my phone still rooted? And is the bootloader unlocker? Because when I restarted my phone a samsung screen appears with a unlocked lock and "custom" under it.

If you followed the XDA unbricking thread you should still have root since the image there is the stock root66 file. As far as the bootloader goes, I believe that gets locked when following that since you are flashing the boot images that are stock from Samsung. That happened to me as well, that just means you are running a custom recovery on your phone.

Bigrooster

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site

Pretty happy right now with CleanRom 2.5 but just curious. If I did want to return to Factory Stock, should I follow Cyber Warrior's "Back to Stock" instructions in newest root sticky or still stick with method in this thread? Thanks.

Idelgado782

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site

Thanks! I was able to successfully return to stock and grab the ota for G7. Now onto rooting, unlocking and flashing all over again! Woop!

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

Pretty happy right now with CleanRom 2.5 but just curious. If I did want to return to Factory Stock, should I follow Cyber Warrior's "Back to Stock" instructions in newest root sticky or still stick with method in this thread? Thanks.

The links that I have post in the OP are for stock unrooted image. If you want to go to stock rooted then follow Cyber's guide. If you unlocked the bootloader, then once you flash stock rooted just relock it if you please.

Thanks! I was able to successfully return to stock and grab the ota for G7. Now onto rooting, unlocking and flashing all over again! Woop!

Good to here, enjoy :).

markespo55

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site

The link for the stock non rooted rom won't work for me. Is there another link? Thank you.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

Posted a new link that provides links to all stock Samsung builds. Original link isn't working because website apparently exceeded its bandwidth.

Electronic_mbp

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site

Hey man thanks for making this guide. I have to return my s3 tomorrow but I am coming up with an issue. I put my phone into download mode and only checked F. reset then PDA'd the kernel onto my phone. Then once it passed I unplugged usb from my phone and reset odin then PDA'd root66.tar. Now my phone is stuck in the verizon boot animation at the 4g lte glowing circle thing. I am gonna keep working on it tonight to see if I can get it to work but maybe you can help me. Was I supposed to install the stock rom before the kernel as well?

Electronic_mbp

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site

Just figured out what to do. I battery swiped and went into recovery mode then did a wipe factory data or something like that. Then the phone will boot regularly. Hope this helps someone. Again thanks for the guide creccaj!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae