Rooting as I type

sayheysarah

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
I finally did it. I'm rooting my phone. It's working on it as I type this, I'm a wee bit nervous something might go wrong.. so far so good!

Good bye wifi notification!!

06cbrf4i

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
Nice. I haven't rooted mine yet because I was debating returning it but I have decided to keep it. I'll probably do it this weekend sometime, post back if all goes well or if you have any problems.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I finally did it. I'm rooting my phone. It's working on it as I type this, I'm a wee bit nervous something might go wrong.. so far so good!

Good bye wifi notification!!

If I could like this from Tapatalk, I would. Congrats :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

doug.saunders

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
Rooted via root66 last night. First time through no problems. All apps and settings stayed. After reboot it installed su then I went back in and downloaded a bunch of my root apps
1st app to download... Adfree awww I love my phone so much more now.
Big thanks to the freaks at XDA your awesome. Next is waiting for the bootloader.
If you root via an XDA method help them out and buy the full program. If you buy it it unlocks the satisfaction widget. :cool:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

martian_11

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I also took the plunge and rooted last night, I am now running "Nosympathy's Deodexed Stock Rom." It feels much smoother than stock.

sayheysarah

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
So, I guess I have a few questions now. I am rooted, so I can or cannot flash roms? How does that work? I'm pretty tech savy but this is my first time rooting for android.

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
So, I guess I have a few questions now. I am rooted, so I can or cannot flash roms? How does that work? I'm pretty tech savy but this is my first time rooting for android.

Yeah you can flash roms now. You need to flash recovery first though. That's where you need to be in order to flash your brains out. Check out rom manager in the play play store. First thing to do is flash yourself a nandroid backup. Its like a backup plan just in case something goes wrong. You can restore it.

S3nt from GalaxyS3

Reactions: sayheysarah

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
What is this all about wifi notification? I have not seen anything. :(

Theres normally a wifi notification in the pulldown bar. It doesn't go away. Once you obtain root you can get rid of it. Its rather annoying. You can also flash a mod to get a wifi toggle in the pulldown bar. Its a nice little mod.

S3nt from GalaxyS3

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
If I could like this from Tapatalk, I would. Congrats :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

I have no idea why that option has been incorporated yet. Rather irritating if you ask me. Sometimes posts don't fit right with a thanks. They need a like.

S3nt from GalaxyS3

sayheysarah

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
Yeah you can flash roms now. You need to flash recovery first though. That's where you need to be in order to flash your brains out. Check out rom manager in the play play store. First thing to do is flash yourself a nandroid backup. Its like a backup plan just in case something goes wrong. You can restore it.

S3nt from GalaxyS3

I have downloaded Rom Manager. I had a friend tell me about nandroid as well. How do I flash this? Do I have to use odin or the rom manager?

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
OK. First you want to flash clockwork. Red arrow. Then step 2 is rebooting into clockwork. Green arrow. I can't toss you any screenshots of clockwork though. In clockwork navigate down to backup and restore. Then select backup. Let your phone do its thing then reboot the phone within the clockwork menus.
Screenshot_2012-07-22-10-55-58-picsay.jpg

Oh yeah make sure you select Verizon galaxy S3 when rom manager asks what device. It needs to flash the proper file.

S3nt from GalaxyS3

Reactions: sayheysarah

sayheysarah

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
Thank you so much! I just selected the GS3 VZW and it looks as if it is loading something. There is a little blue bar at the top slowly growing.

sayheysarah

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
You're headed in the right direction! :D

S3nt from GalaxyS3

How long does this part take? For some reason my time warner is very very slow right now. Is this affecting the "blue bar" progress? I got a message saying flashing recovery failed, so I am on attempt two.

Edit.
I disconnected from my WiFi, and it gave me a message to ensure I was connected to Wifi to download properly. That question was answered. My download speeds for Time Warner right now are 1.02 mbs! This is crap. I'm paying for way faster speeds than that. My 3G is faster than that.

AdamHLG

Trusted Member
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
For best results restart phone after installing CWR and then install recovery. At least for me it always hangs on blue bar first time and requires a restart.

Not that I do it often lol. I am talking about when I help folks on their phones.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza