Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Default Re: Bootloader Unlocked [Casual for Verizon S3]

That was release firmware. Currently this method is good up to at least VRALG1 which is what phones purchased shortly after release have. Are you already rooted? If yes, then the custom aboot can be flashed using a terminal emulator with no computer needed (directions at xda). If you're not rooted, then you're going to need a computer.

Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted Stock

Last edited by mike340t; 08-16-2012 at 10:37 AM.
    My history: Ericsson 628, 768, T10, T28 World, Siemens S12, Nokia 8290, 3390, Motorola C330 , V70, Ericsson T68i, Motorola v100, Accompli 009, Sony Ericsson P800, T300, T610, O2 XDA II, BlackBerry 6210, Sanyo SCP5300, SCP8100, VM4500, PM8200, MM7400, MM8300, MM9000, BlackBerry 7750, Kyocera KX18, MM-A900, SCP8400, Pearl 8130, Tour 9630, Samsung Epic 4G, HTC Design 4G, Nook Tablet. CO's: Omnipoint, Voicestream, T-Mobile, (Amp'd for a short time) Sprint, Verizon

Quote Originally Posted by mike340t View Post
    The .jar file from Adam seems to work fine in Windows. I only used the option to flash the unlocked aboot but had no issues on Windows 7x64. Has anyone tried to root/unroot on a windows machine with it?

Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted Stock

Quote Originally Posted by PJnc284 View Post
    The .jar file from Adam seems to work fine in Windows. I only used the option to flash the unlocked aboot but had no issues on Windows 7x64. Has anyone tried to root/unroot on a windows machine with it?
    I haven't tried it yet. my phone is too essential lol I usually wait a few days to hear of other experiences....
    My history: Ericsson 628, 768, T10, T28 World, Siemens S12, Nokia 8290, 3390, Motorola C330 , V70, Ericsson T68i, Motorola v100, Accompli 009, Sony Ericsson P800, T300, T610, O2 XDA II, BlackBerry 6210, Sanyo SCP5300, SCP8100, VM4500, PM8200, MM7400, MM8300, MM9000, BlackBerry 7750, Kyocera KX18, MM-A900, SCP8400, Pearl 8130, Tour 9630, Samsung Epic 4G, HTC Design 4G, Nook Tablet. CO's: Omnipoint, Voicestream, T-Mobile, (Amp'd for a short time) Sprint, Verizon
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #30  
    BEACH BUM

ROM
    Stock : Rooted, Unlocked

Curious - Does anyone know why he recommends Ubuntu over Windows? Does it have to do with Driver support (sometimes they work sometimes they don't)?

No idea. If I get time later, think I'll make a nandroid, odin back to full stock and try using the app to root and install the unlocked aboot. The program is java based so it runs fine in windows. Could be one of the other options in the drop down that aren't windows friendly so maybe he'll come back and clarify it.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #32  
    BEACH BUM

ROM

No idea. If I get time later, think I'll make a nandroid, odin back to full stock and try using the app to root and install the unlocked aboot. The program is java based so it runs fine in windows. Could be one of the other options in the drop down that aren't windows friendly so maybe he'll come back and clarify it.
    Thanks, Please post your results.

****BTW, Adam indicated the initial release worked on Windows (as long as you had Java, drivers, and unknown sources checked? On the latest one he does not indicate it works with windows, in fact he recommends Ubuntu over windows.
    Thanked by:
    Tomab 

So maybe I'll hold tight on odin'ing back to stock and trying until I find out the outcome of this. The same guy who created the EZ-Recovery app created an EZ-Unlock app to flash the unlocked bootloader. When asked if it had a relock option, he said

There is no re-lock option yet. It was planned, but it seems like individual phones have unique bootloaders, and flashing anything other than what was already on your phone can cause a brick, so I decided to leave it out for now. Will update once this is resolved.
    Also looks like someone tried to use the latest version of the relock using the windows and got the unauthorized software message. The latest version backs up your current one but uses the one halfcab pulled from his phone. He was apparently able to get it back working again by using odin to flash the root66.tar. Trying to confirm if that was all that was required.

ROM
    I don't design "ROMs"

Default Re: [Casual for Verizon S3]:Root, Recover,Flas stock, and unroot

I understood the point of the bootloader research thread. It was just a little weird that the app was given its own thread and then removed with no explanation other that "it wasn't meant for public eyes" when it was posted on a public forum. No worries though and congrats on giving Verizon a big FU. And major props on not wanting to make it a big deal (eventhough it's pretty damn huge) and allowing the bounty to benefit the development community. For anyone who hasn't read the xda bounty thread

xda-developers - View Single Post - [BOUNTY GOAL ACHIEVED] First to Unlock or Patch Bootloader on Verizon Galaxy S3
    It was never released in its own thread. It was mentioned on like page 10 or something of the R&D thread. I never released it publicly.
    Check out my developer pages. developer(dot)adamoutler(dot)com
    Add me to your circles on Google Plus. plus(dot)adamoutler(dot)com

ROM
    I don't design "ROMs"

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Babalu View Post
    Curious - Does anyone know why he recommends Ubuntu over Windows? Does it have to do with Driver support (sometimes they work sometimes they don't)?
    Because I don't feel like supporting everything that can go wrong with Windows. Linux and Mac are easy to support.
    Check out my developer pages. developer(dot)adamoutler(dot)com
    Add me to your circles on Google Plus. plus(dot)adamoutler(dot)com
    Thanked by 2:
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #36  
    BEACH BUM

ROM

So maybe I'll hold tight on odin'ing back to stock and trying until I find out the outcome of this. The same guy who created the EZ-Recovery app created an EZ-Unlock app to flash the unlocked bootloader. When asked if it had a relock option, he said

Also looks like someone tried to use the latest version of the relock using the windows and got the unauthorized software message. The latest version backs up your current one but uses the one halfcab pulled from his phone. He was apparently able to get it back working again by using odin to flash the root66.tar. Trying to confirm if that was all that was required.
    Yeah, I was just reading up on that as well. I am gathering info as it becomes available, but will hold off for a few days to take it all in. I like to make sure I dot the i's and cross my t's!
    Last edited by Ricky Babalu; 08-16-2012 at 04:40 PM.

Default Re: [Casual for Verizon S3]:Root, Recover,Flas stock, and unroot

Quote Originally Posted by AdamOutler View Post
    It was never released in its own thread. It was mentioned on like page 10 or something of the R&D thread. I never released it publicly.
    hmm...must've been hot that day because I could've sworn it had its own thread but I see the edited post in the R&D. Or maybe I just got confused by you asking if it should get it's own thread. Either way, the R&D thread wasn't just viewable by developers so anything in there was technically public and was bound to have a large audience. Also saying "This works on Linux, Windows and Mac" was an open invitation for anyone and everyone to try it (including those windows users you dread. )

Rooted and unlocked in a matter of minutes. Truly amazing.

I'm glad they've made these things as ***** proof as possible for folks like me who are new to the scene.

In the last few days my phone's gone from stock to rooted, unlocked, and now using CM10. It feels good knowing I'm free from bloat from the manufacturer and carrier without bricking it.

Quote Originally Posted by frizo View Post
    I'm glad they've made these things as ***** proof as possible for folks like me who are new to the scene.

In the last few days my phone's gone from stock to rooted, unlocked, and now using CM10. It feels good knowing I'm free from bloat from the manufacturer and carrier without bricking it.
    The temptation is getting to be more than I can bear! Does this root followed by flashing cwm recovery produce the phone unlocked notice? If I did this then accepted an ota would it bork my phone?
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #41  
    BEACH BUM

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by recDNA View Post
    The temptation is getting to be more than I can bear! Does this root followed by flashing cwm recovery produce the phone unlocked notice? [HL]If I did this then accepted an ota would it bork my phone?[/HL]
    Yes. Once you apply this, never accept a factory update.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Babalu View Post
    Yes. Once you apply this, never accept a factory update.
    Yes ota borks phone or yes ota returns to stock unrooted?
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by recDNA View Post
    Yes ota borks phone or yes ota returns to stock unrooted?
    Can't say for sure until we see it happen... I remember on the Galaxy Nexus, the OTA took us to stock unrooted.

Normally rule of thumb is... Never accept an OTA on a rooted device... Also with the custom bootloader... Adam says it will bork your phone... so I wouldn't recommend taking the chance. Don't accept OTAs. Wait for the devs to release a version that's safe to flash.

Then that forces me to install a custom rom because I've read about ota's being pushed to people's phones while they slept.

Ok. Running mtn lion and trying the casual method and it show my phone as not connected. Just picked up the Verizon s3. Any suggestions? I even tried setting the connection to camera, nada..
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #46  
    BEACH BUM

ROM

Try installing one of the following:
    Android File Transfer
    or
    Kies

- - - Updated - - -

Try installing one of the following:
    Android File Transfer
    or
    Kies

Tried those already, nothing.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #48  
    BEACH BUM

ROM

Did you reboot phone, Mac?
    Is USB Debugging mode enabled on your phone?
    Did you try a different USB port?
    Is Java up to date?
    Are you using the OEM USB cable?

Thats all that I can think of for now.
    Thanked by:

Anyone have any experience with UNROOTING the GS3? There's a pretty intense message about it being permanent-- so I'll never be able to root again? Is that right?

This program is awesome.
    I've had a number of Android phones, and while rooting is never a difficult task, this is by FAR the easiest experience I've had rooting a phone.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast