Can't back up via CWM recovery?

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
So I'm properly rooted and I have the Verizon specific version of CWM Recovery installed. I was able to use it to flash a .zip with the wifi toggle notification panel widget so I know it works, but I'm unable to use it to make a backup.

It errors out each time. Thinking that maybe I was running low on space (I'm not), I tried to mount the external SD card. That fails as well, though I read something about it needs to be in a specific format.

Anyway, how are you all making backups? Something I need to modify in CWM Recovery? Another method of backup instead?

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
The external sd card will only work if it's formatted as FAT32. CWM nor the AOSP roms recognize the default exFAT formatting.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I formatted my sd card from the phone and made a backup no problem. Are you saying I can't restore from a format made by the phone? I would think if it would write to it, it would read it. Going to try and recover my backup for fun on the stock format.

wadles

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
try re flashing the recovery from within rom manager. Sometimes it needs to be redone several times before it sticks. Sd card must use fat32. Get a format tool app for your desktop and format using that. When re flashing, do the re flash right before you backup. Also you may need to check super user to see that permissions are set correctly. You can also initiate a backup from recovery mode. It's one of the options to select below flashing a zip in recovery. Might try that as well. I am doing backups with rom manager with no problems myself. Good luck. :)

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Using the top options of "Backup" and "restore" in cwm will backup and restore from internal storage. Trying to use the "backup to external storage" option should result in an error if it's exFAT. Also DO NOT flash an AOSP or CM9/CM10 rom as it essentially corrupts your sd card and will require a reformat.

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Discovered my error. The version of clockworkmod recovery I was using was the 5.8.x version. I'm now on 6.something and it seems to be working now (courtesy of ez-recovery from the play store).

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Nice bro! As I have stated earlier as well, backing up to external sd card and restoring from external sd card works with stock format.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Using the top options of "Backup" and "restore" in cwm will backup and restore from internal storage. Trying to use the "backup to external storage" option should result in an error if it's exFAT. Also DO NOT flash an AOSP or CM9/CM10 rom as it essentially corrupts your sd card and will require a reformat.

Is there something idk? I have read nothing about this anywhere? Is this something huge, or did this fix a problem you were having? I have flashed .zips from the sd card with zero errors, multiple times. I don't want to fix what's not broke. Maybe you could link where you are getting your info please?

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
From personal experience and countless threads on XDA. What size card do you have? If it's 32GB or less, I think the default formatting may be FAT32 but 64GB cards are exFAT. If you have the latter, you're either backing up to internal storage or you've formatted the card using something other than the phone. There are two separate backup and restore options in cwm. As I said earlier, the first two are "backup" and "restore" and those access INTERNAL storage. Then there's "backup to external sdcard" and "restore from external sdcard", neither of which work if the card is formatted by the phone or using the default settings in Windows as those format as exFAT on larger cards. Using a file explorer, go under mnt and choose sdcard. That's internal storage and the clockworkmod folder will be under there if you use the first backup/restore option. The actual external sdcard will be under extSdCard.

Last edited:

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Well, good to know. I don't think anyone is confused about the differences between internal and external options, however, I have only a 16 gig SanDisk, and 32 internal. Good to know the phone formats different sizes differently. Strange, but that explains why I have had no issues.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz