Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Srambo217
  • 1 Post By Cyber Warrior
  • 1 Post By Hovik818
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default [How To][ROOT] Block Verizon OTAs (post bootloader/ROM flash)

Some words of advice; to block Verizon OTAs install Root Explorer (or a similar file explorer app with root access) and navigate to system > app, than edit the following:

Change the extension of 'FWUpgrade.apk' to '.bak' (FWUpgrade.bak), locate the corresponding '.odex' and add '.bak' to the end of the title. Do the same for SDM.apk /.odex.

Quote Originally Posted by Hovik818 View Post
    FWUpgrade.apk = FWUpgrade.bak
    FWUpgrade.odex = FWUpgrade.odex.bak

SDM.apk = SDM.bak
    SDM.odex = SDM.odex.bak
    This simply 'freezes' them, re-enable by reapplying the .apk extension and removing the .bak extension.

Thanks appreciated!

Sent from my unlocked/modded Samsung Galaxy S3 using Android Central Forums
    Last edited by jaj6503; 09-19-2012 at 06:47 PM.
    Thanked by 12:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked
    Cyber Warrior and SAHARAT like this.
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

Default Re: [How To][ROOT] Block Verizon OTAs (post bootloader/ROM flash)

Good advice.. this is a problem that plagues members every time there's on OTA. If you're rooted.. Never except an OTA... It will most likely soft brick your device. Wait for the devs to come out with a version of the OTA that will work with a rooted phone.

Ways to stop an OTA from being auto pushed to phone:
    -follow the steps from the OP, just keep in mind that this is not guaranteed fool proof and sometimes still will not protect you.
    -flash a custom ROM, this is the only way an OTA will not get pushed to your phone. If you don't like the fancy custom ROMs.. then flash one of the stock debloated, zip aligned, deoxed ROMs.
    Thanked by 3:
    davidnc likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber Warrior View Post
    Good advice.. this is a problem that plagues members every time there's on OTA. If you're rooted.. Never except an OTA... It will most likely soft brick your device. Wait for the devs to come out with a version of the OTA that will work with a rooted phone.

Ways to stop an OTA from being auto pushed to phone:
    -follow the steps from the OP, just keep in mind that this is not guaranteed fool proof and sometimes still will not protect you.
    -flash a custom ROM, this is the only way an OTA will not get pushed to your phone. If you don't like the fancy custom ROMs.. then flash one of the stock debloated, zip aligned, deoxed ROMs.
    The process in OP is what these ROMs with OTA blocks do. The only difference is that some ROMs delete these files instead of rendering them useless.

Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jaj6503 View Post
    The process in OP is what these ROMs with OTA blocks do. The only difference is that some ROMs delete these files instead of rendering them useless.

Not always the case... Only time will tell but I remember the HTC Thunderbolt days when we tried the same process by renaming the otacerts.zip to otacerts.zip.bak and members were still getting the official OTA from Verizon pushed to their phones.. I can't even count the number of soft bricks members were complaining about.. I spent weeks helping members getting their phones back to a usable state. Now maybe this is an HTC only problem because I remember using this method on Motorola devices and it worked perfectly... So just be prepared, it may work but there's always the slight chance that it may not... even with declining the pushed update, eventually Bolt users were forced to accept the update because every time they rebooted their phone trying to flash a custom ROM last minute, they couldn't get passed the start menu... the update took over. The only guaranteed method that I've seen work is by using a custom ROM.
    Again, hopefully this was just an HTC issue and we won't see this problem.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber Warrior View Post
    Not always the case... Only time will tell but I remember the HTC Thunderbolt days when we tried the same process by renaming the otacerts.zip to otacerts.zip.bak and members were still getting the official OTA from Verizon pushed to their phones.. I can't even count the number of soft bricks members were complaining about.. I spent weeks helping members getting their phones back to a usable state. Now maybe this is an HTC only problem because I remember using this method on Motorola devices and it worked perfectly... So just be prepared, it may work but there's always the slight chance that it may not... even with declining the pushed update, eventually Bolt users were forced to accept the update because every time they rebooted their phone trying to flash a custom ROM last minute, they couldn't get passed the start menu... the update took over. The only guaranteed method that I've seen work is by using a custom ROM.
    Again, hopefully this was just an HTC issue and we won't see this problem.
    eschelon over at XDA is the one who sharing this method with devs. Regardless if you're using a custom ROM or stock image, if you're attempting to block OTAs on a SGSIII you're using the "same" technique.

You're right that only time will tell, but right now this is the only known first step of protection.

Last edited by jaj6503; 08-17-2012 at 08:39 PM.

Global Posts
    6,666 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

I am hoping that along with the mentioned programs in the OP froze and or with .bak added to them along with all the vzw/samsung bloatware froze thats not used any update will fail even if it makes it to the phone.I remember about the HTC saga, although I didnt have a Tbolt
    Regardless the days are numbered when I will be flashing a custom Rom,probably long before any OTA is released anyhoo Ha.

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts

When I try to edit the file name it says that the system files cannot be edited because they are read only. What am I doing wrong?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oper8or View Post
    When I try to edit the file name it says that the system files cannot be edited because they are read only. What am I doing wrong?

If you're using Root Explorer.. when you first open the app, there's a tab/button up top for switching Read/Only Read/Write (R/O, R/W).... Change it to read/write before renaming the file.. when done switch it back to read only.
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

Changed the extension on FWUpgrade.apk and SDM.apk to .bak, but it won't let me change FWUpgrade.odex and SDM.odex to .bak because it says it already exists. Anything I'm doing wrong?

ROM
    Stock Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by wilk489 View Post
    Changed the extension on FWUpgrade.apk and SDM.apk to .bak, but it won't let me change FWUpgrade.odex and SDM.odex to .bak because it says it already exists. Anything I'm doing wrong?
    FWUpgrade.apk = FWUpgrade.bak
    FWUpgrade.odex = FWUpgrade.odex.back

SDM.apk = SDM.bak
    SDM.odex = SDM.odex.bak
    Thanked by:
    Srambo217 likes this.

Can someone point me to a stock, debloated, zip aligned, deoxed ROM for the Verizon S3? Until the custom ROMs get cleaned up, stock still appears to be the best, suspect performance and battery life would dramatically improve just by removing bloat and unwanted services running.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by Ratbastrd View Post
    Can someone point me to a stock, debloated, zip aligned, deoxed ROM for the Verizon S3? Until the custom ROMs get cleaned up, stock still appears to be the best, suspect performance and battery life would dramatically improve just by removing bloat and unwanted services running.
    Here -

Or choose something else -

Sent from my rooted/modded/stock Samsung Galaxy S3 using Android Central Forums
    Geek Mom

I rooted without Odin and haven't flashed anything - just ran the script that copied su in. Do I have to worry about an OTA update?

Couldn't I just delete the su executable and then it would be back to stock? Or are there more issues?
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by OWybPPgO View Post
    I rooted without Odin and haven't flashed anything - just ran the script that copied su in. Do I have to worry about an OTA update?

Couldn't I just delete the su executable and then it would be back to stock? Or are there more issues?
    If you didn't follow the instructions in the OP post rooting than yes, you haven't done anything to prevent an OTA. Rooting alone does not prevent anything.

If I were going to unroot completely I would just Odin my device to a pure unrooted stock build. This is the norm. You could manually remove root bits and pieces but it would be rather redundant. Better to wipe everything and start fresh than "tidy up," although I don't see why anyone wouldn't want root access in general.

PS: rooting, blocking OTAs, than Odin-ing back to stock will put you back to square one. An Odin flash rewrites the entire system.

Geek Mom

Quote Originally Posted by jaj6503 View Post
    If you didn't follow the instructions in the OP post rooting than yes, you haven't done anything to prevent an OTA. Rooting alone does not prevent anything.

If I were going to unroot completely I would just Odin my device to a pure unrooted stock build. This is the norm. You could manually remove root bits and pieces but it would be rather redundant. Better to wipe everything and start fresh than "tidy up," although I don't see why anyone wouldn't want root access in general.

PS: rooting, blocking OTAs, than Odin-ing back to stock will put you back to square one. An Odin flash rewrites the entire system.

thanks. I do like being rooted, I'm just paranoid about having voided my warranty.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

thanks. I do like being rooted, I'm just paranoid about having voided my warranty.
    I've rooted/returned phones many times (mostly Motorola devices because those things like to randomly fall apart), as long as you restore to stock (Odin back to a factory ROM in this phone's case), you're golden

You didn't void your warranty. That's just something people like to say to scare others out of rooting. Assuming you don't brick it by being dumb, your warranty is perfectly fine in the event that you have a legit issue.

edited by moderator.. app devs, please use the application forum to advertise apps.
    Last edited by Cyber Warrior; 09-29-2012 at 07:07 PM.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Quote Originally Posted by BitRifle View Post
    edited by moderator.. app devs, please use the application forum to advertise apps.
    The method in OP worked 100% fine for me. Please don't try and frighten these good people into buying your app (if anything, offer a discount or something).

At this point there is no real reason to fear the OTA anyways. It's completely rootable/unlockable.

Future OTAs perhaps, but I wouldn't hold my breath. We probably won't see one for quite sometime.

Last edited by Cyber Warrior; 09-29-2012 at 07:08 PM.

ROM
    Stock/Nova Prime

So I'm rooted running clean rom 5.0. I went through every system app in root explorer and cannot find the upgrade apk is it possible this rom doesn't have it as a safety measure? I definitely don't want this JB update forced to my phone.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 Running CleanROM 5.5.1

Since you're running a dev's ROM like CleanRom, there shouldn't be an issue with OTAs. They have usually already taken care of it for you. Although I don't know the ins and outs of CleanRom, I expect it's already been handled.

Changing the apk to bak for the files in this thread is something for folks who have rooted but haven't installed a ROM. They're still running the stock ROM, so they're vulnerable to OTAs.
    Thanked by:
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

If it is like his others, it is gone already. Scott is good with that.

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis
    Thanked by:

Sorry if this is dumb, but I'm a newbie to GS3 and to rooting in general...

It seems as if there's some confusion because of the difference between simply rooting, and flashing different ROMs. From what I'm reading here, it seems that I'm probably OK if

1. All I've done as root is to elevate my privileges in order to run things like AdBlock, and specifically *not* to freeze apps and stuff.
    2. Before the OTA comes, I turn off the settings in various apps that tried to use root privileges, and then uninstall the superuser app itself.

Is that correct?
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Quote Originally Posted by CypherMax View Post
    So I'm rooted running clean rom 5.0. I went through every system app in root explorer and cannot find the upgrade apk is it possible this rom doesn't have it as a safety measure? I definitely don't want this JB update forced to my phone.

The ROM dev removed them as bloat. On any custom ROM you won't get an official OTA unless you revert back to stock.

Galaxy S3
    My Podcast-
    My Blog-