Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 46 of 46
Like Tree8Likes
  1. #26  

    Default Re: [GUIDE] [MODEMS] VZW SGS3 (SCH-i535)

    Quote Originally Posted by creccaj1 View Post
    VRLG1 is official, it's just no official in Verizon's eyes yet and this is not a Jellybean baseband either. It is just updated radios for ICS/TW. Once you flash them they stay on your device and there is no need to re flash every time you switch a ROM.

    If you flash a ROM that is based on VRLG1 like sfobrien said then there is no need. CleanROM is an excellent choice and my daily driver.
    Thanks for correcting me on the official status. I did mean to say not official for Verizon.
    Steve


  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #27  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sfobrien View Post
    Thanks for correcting me on the official status. I did mean to say not official for Verizon.
    Haha no worries. It's annoying how Verizon will probably release this once the new one is out.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #28  
  4. #29  
    NotJustAPhone's Avatar

    Posts
    11,475 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,780 Global Posts
    ROM
    GS3: CleanROM / N4: AOKP

    Default Re: [GUIDE] [MODEMS] VZW SGS3 (SCH-i535) *Updated 9/28*

    Quote Originally Posted by creccaj1 View Post
    Updated the OP for the newer modems... Get your ODIN ready
    Anyone try the VRLHD radios yet?

    Sent from my SGSIII
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #30  

    Default Re: [GUIDE] [MODEMS] VZW SGS3 (SCH-i535) *Updated 9/28*

    Quote Originally Posted by NotJustAPhone View Post
    Anyone try the VRLHD radios yet?

    Sent from my SGSIII
    Not I. Little skeptical to flash them since in the original thread by Invisiblek he stated that its form an ICS ROM and I don't know about that lol. I'll be looking around on the Rootz thread to see how the results are once some people flash it.
  6. #31  

    Default Re: [GUIDE] [MODEMS] VZW SGS3 (SCH-i535) *Updated 9/28*

    Quote Originally Posted by creccaj1 View Post
    form an ICS ROM and I don't know about that lol
    Hummm? Is there any info about which ROM it's from? Did someone modify the G7 radio, or an earlier one, to make this new HD radio? I'm just wondering if you've read anything because I'm finding nothing about it.

    I certainly won't be flashing it until I read some full info on it. For all I know it just an earlier radio build that's been renamed for some unknown reason. Any of the radios, even the first ones, could be this radio since they're all associated with ICS ROMs.

    Otherwise, thanks for updating the thread.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #32  

    Default Re: [GUIDE] [MODEMS] VZW SGS3 (SCH-i535) *Updated 9/28*

    Quote Originally Posted by rvhighway View Post
    Hummm? Is there any info about which ROM it's from? Did someone modify the G7 radio, or an earlier one, to make this new HD radio? I'm just wondering if you've read anything because I'm finding nothing about it.

    I certainly won't be flashing it until I read some full info on it. For all I know it just an earlier radio build that's been renamed for some unknown reason. Any of the radios, even the first ones, could be this radio since they're all associated with ICS ROMs.

    Otherwise, thanks for updating the thread.
    Yea that is why I am skeptical on flashing it. I checked the original thread over on Rootz yesterday and someone flashed it saying that radios are fine, was able to send/receive calls and texts as well as data. I am still waiting to get more results before I flash this. I have had great success with G7 so I see no reason to switch.

    Edit: I just checked over on the thread and a couple people have flashed it an used it for a day and have been getting good results or slightly better. A lot of people are saying slightly better signal or the same on G7 modem but 1 or 2 people are saying they are getting better quality when streaming data like on Pandora. Interesting. May have to flash these sometime this coming week to give my impressions.
  8. #33  
    NotJustAPhone's Avatar

    Posts
    11,475 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,780 Global Posts
    ROM
    GS3: CleanROM / N4: AOKP

    Default Re: [GUIDE] [MODEMS] VZW SGS3 (SCH-i535) *Updated 9/28*

    Flashed the HD radios two days ago. 3G/LTE handoffs seem a bit quicker, but it's tough to say whether the new radios have anything to do with it, or whether it's other factors.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
  9. #34  

    Default Re: [GUIDE] [MODEMS] VZW SGS3 (SCH-i535) *Updated 9/28*

    I tried the HD radio and things got worse. I went back to the G7 and it is pretty good.
    sent from my awesome Galaxy S3
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #35  

    Default Re: [GUIDE] [MODEMS] VZW SGS3 (SCH-i535) *Updated 9/28*

    I have been seeing mixed results over on the Rootz thread as well. Many people are saying they are seeing minimal or no improvement but some are saying that it gives them slightly faster speeds. However, like Radar, there are a couple people saying their signal got worse. I like how my phone is doing with G7 radios now so I see no reason to switch.
  11. #36  

    Default Re: [GUIDE] [MODEMS] VZW SGS3 (SCH-i535) *Updated 9/28*

    Looking for some information:
    1. (Slightly off topic) What's with all of the [Note], [Tip], etc formatting? Does it all make sense when viewed in a browser? Any ideas if the Tapatalk app will be updated to incorporate this functionality?
    2. Is there an approved method to flash the radios using ClockworkMod? That's how I used to do it on my HTC Thunderbolt and Incredible - any explanation as to why this phone is different? (Although not a big deal having to use a computer/ODIN, it's just extra 'stuff' involved, and any time there're extra steps involved yours truly will find some way to screw it up )
    3. I have yet to come across a good explanation of why I should unlock the bootloader if I'm just sticking with the stock (rooted) ROM - seems like one more step to potentially bugger up (see previous note about my ability to muck up something simple).

    Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #37  

    Default Re: [GUIDE] [MODEMS] VZW SGS3 (SCH-i535) *Updated 9/28*

    Quote Originally Posted by GSDer View Post
    Looking for some information:
    1. (Slightly off topic) What's with all of the [Note], [Tip], etc formatting? Does it all make sense when viewed in a browser? Any ideas if the Tapatalk app will be updated to incorporate this functionality?

    Yes, you need a browser to read the HTML code properly. If you are using Tapatalk and want to see what I mean, load the thread in your browser and you should see the difference. It makes it look neater and cleaner.


    2. Is there an approved method to flash the radios using ClockworkMod? That's how I used to do it on my HTC Thunderbolt and Incredible - any explanation as to why this phone is different? (Although not a big deal having to use a computer/ODIN, it's just extra 'stuff' involved, and any time there're extra steps involved yours truly will find some way to screw it up )

    Do you mean the app ClockworkMod? If so then no I would NEVER recommend that you do that. Too much can go wrong with flashing radios and using a program to do it just adds to what can go wrong. If you mean flashing in a manual recovery then yes you can. The original thread over on RootzWiki have recovery flashable zips.

    3. I have yet to come across a good explanation of why I should unlock the bootloader if I'm just sticking with the stock (rooted) ROM - seems like one more step to potentially bugger up (see previous note about my ability to muck up something simple).

    You don't need to unlock the bootloader to flash radios with ODIN. I don't know where this is coming from back unlocking the bootloader will give you the ability to flash more ROMs and kernels. The way the phone should have been if Verizon didn't tinker with it. You don't have to unlock it, its all personal preference. If you want to flash something like CM10 or AOKP then you will need to unlock the bootloader, but if you are perfectly content with staying on stock rooted you are fine. If you ever decide to flash a ROM, make sure to find out if it requires that you unlock the bootloader.

    Unlocking the bootloader will not "bugger up" your phone unless you personally do something you weren't suppose to.

    Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2
    Responses are bolded above.
    Thanked by 2:
    Cory Streater likes this.
  13. #38  

    Default Re: [GUIDE] [MODEMS] VZW SGS3 (SCH-i535) *Updated 9/28*

    Thanks!
    1. Too bad the Tapatalk app doesn't have an HTML mode - it would be nice to be able to take advantage of the extra formatting. If you're aware of some other app that provides that functionality I'd like to hear about it. On my phone I find using browsers cumbersome and prefer the Tapatalk experience, but all this formatting tends to clutter up the actual information that I'm looking for.
    2. Yes, I was referring to flashing the radios using manual recovery - I was just noting that I'm using the ClockWork recovery as opposed to TWRP
    3. I'm satisfied with the stock ROM so I didn't see a reason to unlock the bootloader - I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something important

    Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2
  14. #39  
    gregurbo1's Avatar

    Posts
    269 Posts
    ROM
    CM10/Stock CM Kernel

    Default Re: [GUIDE] [MODEMS] VZW SGS3 (SCH-i535) *Updated 9/28*

    New modem is up found the zip in goo.im. From invisiblek.
    I haven't flashed it yet. Waiting till I get home from work.
    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  15. #40  
    gregurbo1's Avatar

    Posts
    269 Posts
    ROM
    CM10/Stock CM Kernel

    Default Re: [GUIDE] [MODEMS] VZW SGS3 (SCH-i535) *Updated 9/28*

    Well I flashed new VRLHE Modum. Everything seems good. Had my wife call me and everything sounds clear.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #41  

    Default Re: [GUIDE] [MODEMS] VZW SGS3 (SCH-i535) *Updated 9/28*

    Quote Originally Posted by gregurbo1 View Post
    New modem is up found the zip in goo.im. From invisiblek.
    I haven't flashed it yet. Waiting till I get home from work.
    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by gregurbo1 View Post
    Well I flashed new VRLHE Modum. Everything seems good. Had my wife call me and everything sounds clear.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Sounds good, ill add it to the list when I get done for the day at work.
    gregurbo1 likes this.
  17. #42  
    Krnmc's Avatar

    Posts
    29 Posts
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

    Default Re: [GUIDE] [MODEMS] VZW SGS3 (SCH-i535) *Updated 9/28*

    So, right now I have G1, is that better or G7?


    Thank Youuu
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #43  
  19. #44  

    Default Re: [GUIDE] [MODEMS] VZW SGS3 (SCH-i535) *Updated 9/28*

    FYI . . . I just tried to install the new I535VRLHE radio from the goo.im link (tar.md5 file) in the op. It hung and the install failed in odin. I began to wonder if I had done something wrong, so I hopped on over to the xda site. I found one other complaint of the same hanging/failing problem when installing the HE tar.md5 file through odin. Otherwise, there wern't too many other useful comments.

    If this turns out to be a problem for others trying to install the HE radio, you might want to use the .zip version and install it through recovery instead of odin. It worked for me. You can download it from rootzwiki at the following address:

    [OFFICIAL][MODEMS] <VRLHE> Verizon SGS3 (SCH-I535) [ODIN or RECOVERY-flashable] - Verizon Galaxy S3 Development - RootzWiki

    I've only been running the new radio for a couple of hours, so I don't have much to say about it. I did run through the basic functions of the phone and it seemed to work fine. Time will tell if I keep it or go back to the G7 version that was working fine for me.

    Good luck.
    Last edited by rvhighway; 10-20-2012 at 12:35 AM.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #45  

    Default Re: [GUIDE] [MODEMS] VZW SGS3 (SCH-i535) *Updated 9/28*

    Quote Originally Posted by rvhighway View Post
    FYI . . . I just tried to install the new I535VRLHE radio from the goo.im link (tar.md5 file) in the op. It hung and the install failed in odin. I began to wonder if I had done something wrong, so I hopped on over to the xda site. I found one other complaint of the same hanging/failing problem when installing the HE tar.md5 file through odin. Otherwise, there wern't too many other useful comments.

    If this turns out to be a problem for others trying to install the HE radio, you might want to use the .zip version and install it through recovery instead of odin. It worked for me. You can download it from rootzwiki at the following address:

    [OFFICIAL][MODEMS] <VRLHE> Verizon SGS3 (SCH-I535) [ODIN or RECOVERY-flashable] - Verizon Galaxy S3 Development - RootzWiki

    I've only been running the new radio for a couple of hours, so I don't have much to say about it. I did run through the basic functions of the phone and it seemed to work fine. Time will tell if I keep it or go back to the G7 version that was working fine for me.

    Good luck.
    The link was already posted in OP for those who want to flash in recovery. Thanks for the info.
  21. #46  

    Default Re: [GUIDE] [MODEMS] VZW SGS3 (SCH-i535) *Updated 9/28*

    Yea
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions