[GUIDE] VZW Galaxy S3 Flashing Guide

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Great guide. I really appreciate your work. Is there something special I need to do to Flash another ROM after I've flashed CM10? Or is there a thread where this is addressed? Having trouble finding it.

Specifically, I'm trying to get CleanRom 2.1 instead of CM10

Don't need to do anything special, just follow this guide again. All you are going to need to do is clean wipe your phone (data/cache/dalvik/system) and then flash away.

bigguh

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
I flashed a ROM last week and all went well. I just attempted to flash a CMW 10 nightly and I got the notice that Unauthorized Software or whatever has been found by Verizon. Go to the nearest store for help. Please let me know what to do to successfully flash this ROM.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I flashed a ROM last week and all went well. I just attempted to flash a CMW 10 nightly and I got the notice that Unauthorized Software or whatever has been found by Verizon. Go to the nearest store for help. Please let me know what to do to successfully flash this ROM.

You have a locked bootloader. You tried to flash something without unlocking the bootloader. Some ROMs don't require an unlocked bootloader like the early versions of CleanROM but if you flashed something like CM then you need to unlock your bootloader. You are going to need follow this guide on XDA to get yourself back working.

bigguh

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
I just discovered that the EZ Unlock app version 1.3 does not actually unlock the bootloader even though it says it does!!! I am trying to find the Casual unlock by Adam Outler as I hear that is easy, but I am not sure if it is actually an app or not...or just some script which I am not versed enough to use at this stage.

You have a locked bootloader. You tried to flash something without unlocking the bootloader. Some ROMs don't require an unlocked bootloader like the early versions of CleanROM but if you flashed something like CM then you need to unlock your bootloader. You are going to need follow this guide on XDA to get yourself back working.

pwoznic

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I just discovered that the EZ Unlock app version 1.3 does not actually unlock the bootloader even though it says it does!!! I am trying to find the Casual unlock by Adam Outler as I hear that is easy, but I am not sure if it is actually an app or not...or just some script which I am not versed enough to use at this stage.

I just dl'd EZ Unlock. When the app opened, it said the device was unlocked..so I hit Lock..it gave me a successful message.. opened the app again and said I was unlocked.. rebooted and said I was unlocked...

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

I just dl'd EZ Unlock. When the app opened, it said the device was unlocked..so I hit Lock..it gave me a successful message.. opened the app again and said I was unlocked.. rebooted and said I was unlocked...

Interesting... I had no issues what so ever when using the app. The easiest way to tell if you bootloader is unlocked is when you reboot your phone, when it first boots up it usually displays a SAMSUNG logo then goes to the boot animation. If it displays the SAMSUNG logo for more than a quick flash on the screen then it is not unlocked.

Bigrooster

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Just had a few questions. Where can I download the TouchWiz ROM's from? I want to try CleanRom. And once I have downloaded the ROM's, where do I place the file in internal memory? Is there a certain folder? I think I have a 4GB SD card I could use as well.
Thanks for any help.

The SuperUser

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Just had a few questions. Where can I download the TouchWiz ROM's from? I want to try CleanRom. And once I have downloaded the ROM's, where do I place the file in internal memory? Is there a certain folder? I think I have a 4GB SD card I could use as well.
Thanks for any help.

I'm not quite sure where you could find the CleanROM exactly, but once you have the ROM put the ROM on your SD card by using 7-zip.:)
I made a folder saying "ROMS" in my SD card so I know where to look. Easier that way. Then just install the ROM onto your phone using a recovery tool and WAHlah. :D

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for any help.

You can AOKP/CM10 from this forum, any other ROMs you should check out the threads over on XDA or RootzWiki. I also have a thread that has a listing of all the major TouchWiz based ROMs as well as AOSP based ROMs which is linked in my signature. Once you download the ROM you can place on your internal or external memory card, whichever you prefer. No need to worry about folders, just make sure you place them somewhere easy to find.

I'm not quite sure where you could find the CleanROM exactly, but once you have the ROM put the ROM on your SD card by using 7-zip.:)
I made a folder saying "ROMS" in my SD card so I know where to look. Easier that way. Then just install the ROM onto your phone using a recovery tool and WAHlah. :D

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Check my thread for the ROM listing in my signature for all of those good ROMs :). I hope you mean recovery tool meaning going into your custom recovery and not using something like Recovery Manager. There is a big difference.

MM1983

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
ok - starting to freak out now.....its been stuck on the Samsung Galaxy S3 screen after trying to reboot for about 10 minutes now!! :(

bigblue1792

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
i just rooted my phone and unlocked the bootloader than i went to flash cm10 using cwm i only got to steps 1 and 2 when i went to step 3 i didnt see any of those options to do so the only thing that happened was everything was erased from my phone. what did i do wrong??

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
i just rooted my phone and unlocked the bootloader than i went to flash cm10 using cwm i only got to steps 1 and 2 when i went to step 3 i didnt see any of those options to do so the only thing that happened was everything was erased from my phone. what did i do wrong??

So you can using CWM and you can't find where to go to wipe dalvik? Is that what your asking? Its under advanced options for CWM I believe its the 2nd to last entry on the CWM menu.

Zaiden

May 31, 2011
Visit site
How do you get into recovery? I'm stuck with CM10 spinning around on reboot for 20 mins....I can't seem to get into recovery to wipe and reflash. Help!

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
How do you get into recovery? I'm stuck with CM10 spinning around on reboot for 20 mins....I can't seem to get into recovery to wipe and reflash. Help!

Pull the battery, when you put the battery back in hold volume up, home and then power. Hold those until it boots into recovery.

ThatsAngel

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
TOUCHWIZ BASED ROMS (CleanROM/Synergy ect.):

If you have CMW 6.0.X.X

1. Select wipe data/factory reset, click yes, I do this step 2-3 times but 1 usually is good enough, click yes, let it run and go back to home
2. Select wipe cache partition, click yes, click yes, let it run and go back to home
3. Select advanced, wipe dalvik cache, click yes, let it run and go back to home
4. Select mounts and storage, click format /system, click yes, let it run and go back to home
5. Select install zip from sdcard
6. Select choose zip from sdcard
7. Navigate to the directory where you placed files
8. Select the ROM file (ex: CleanROM2.0), select yes to flash
9. Some ROMs use AROMA installer which allow you to select options, if so select the options you want, and let it install
10. Go back to home, and select reboot system now and profit!

The hard part is done, now wait for your phone to boot. IT WILL TAKE LONGER FOR THE FIRST INITIAL BOOT AFTER DOING A FULL WIPE LIKE THIS. DON'T PANIC OR FREAK OUT, JUST LET IT RUN. Once it boots up, follow the on screen prompts to activate and you can begin to set your phone back up!

I seem to be hitting a brick wall in these steps. I've rooted twice now. The first problem is that there is no option to achieve Step 3 when I reboot to recovery. I have no Advanced setting. I end up just rebooting the device, but it brings me back to the factory settings when it was new. Superuser and the EK things are gone. Not sure what I'm doing wrong here. I have the CleanRom 2.5 zip on my SD card, as well as KindaCrap Mods that Cyber Warrior recommended.

I'm gonna scan youtube for tutorials, but I'll keep checking back for guidance here.

ThatsAngel

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I also just tried TWRP, and I'm not figuring out what I'm doing wrong. I've used EZ Recovery to reboot into recovery, and I've done it on the device, too. This is the screen I'm seeing each time:

210ad6o.jpg

This is what's on my SD Card:

11ukgbc.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995