USB Drivers and Mac

Timmedic

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
I feel pretty stupid but I know I am missing something obvious. I am attempting to root and unlock my VZW SG3 and I'm following along with the guide, specifically the "Casual" Method. I downloaded the drivers and all the files needed but when I go to install the drivers my Mac is telling me that the file is for a Windows PC and extracts them but the extracted files don't seem to contain anything useful. Thought maybe I didn't need them but when I plug my phone in to the Mac using the OEM cable, Casual isn't showing any connection between my phone and the Mac. Thanks in advance.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I feel pretty stupid but I know I am missing something obvious. I am attempting to root and unlock my VZW SG3 and I'm following along with the guide, specifically the "Casual" Method. I downloaded the drivers and all the files needed but when I go to install the drivers my Mac is telling me that the file is for a Windows PC and extracts them but the extracted files don't seem to contain anything useful. Thought maybe I didn't need them but when I plug my phone in to the Mac using the OEM cable, Casual isn't showing any connection between my phone and the Mac. Thanks in advance.

Which thread are you using? The one over on XDA? If so you are right, the download for the Samsung drivers are a .exe which is a Windows executable.

According to this guide: How to Root Galaxy S3 on Mac OSX! | GalaxyS3Root.com

There is no mentioning of drivers needing to be installed on a Mac. I will do some digging and get back to you.

Edit: In the XDA thread, if you read the steps it does not say anywhere to install the drivers which I found odd. I guess when you get to step where you have to plug in if your Mac doesn't recognize the device then we can go from there but I would say try without installing the drivers for now and see what happens.

Reactions: Timmedic

Timmedic

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
I guess when you get to step where you have to plug in if your Mac doesn't recognize the device then we can go from there but I would say try without installing the drivers for now and see what happens.

First of all thanks to everyone, to answer your question My Mac does recognize the phone because it tries to transfer the pictures depending on which I select from the phone(MTP or PTP...think thats what they are). Casual isn't showing a connected status and that is where I'm having the issue. To answer your earlier question, Yes, Im using the XDA guide. I'll go ahead and delete those drivers then.

sparesr4sissies

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
My next guess would be are you using the usb cable that came with your phone? I've heard of things not working correctly when people used cables from other devices.

Reactions: Timmedic

Timmedic

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Just to update everyone, Finally broke down and rooted from a Windows PC. Thanks everyone for your help I greatly appreciate the effort.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catherinediane