Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

Default [HOW TO] Block the latest Verizon OTA for rooted phones (IMM76D)

[INFO]If you've rooted/unlocked the bootloader of your phone, you do NOT want to accept the latest OTA that's being pushed out the past few days. For rooted users with a locked bootloader.. if you haven't touched any system files, then chances are you will only break root. For rooted users with an unlocked bootloader.. it is advised that you do not accept an OTA. Be warned that you will possibly brick your phone if you are rooted and/or have an unlocked bootloader accepting the update from Verizon.

***** Wait for the developers to release a version of the OTA update that is safe to flash/install on a rooted device. [/INFO]

[TIP]How To Block the Verizon OTA:
    Download the app Titanium Backup > Go to backup/restore > Scroll down to SDM 1.0 and freeze it. [/TIP]
    BEACH BUM

ROM
    Stock : Rooted, Unlocked

Default Re: [HOW TO] Block the latest Verizon OTA for rooted phones (IMM76D)

Cyber can you confirm that freezing SDM 1.0 worked on your phone. I ask because I have read (do not remember where) conflicting reports that this no longer works?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

It's working for me... I'm running NoSympathy stock zip aligned deodexed ROM and received the notification this morning for the upgrade. I postponed it until later tonight.... then found the tip for freezing SDM 1.0, after freezing it... I manually tried forcing the update to my phone under settings and received a system error. It seems to be disabled for me, I'll be 100% sure later tonight to see if I get reminded from the postponed notification.
    Thanked by:
    BEACH BUM

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber Warrior View Post
    It's working for me... I'm running NoSympathy stock zip aligned deodexed ROM and received the notification this morning for the upgrade. I postponed it until later tonight.... then found the tip for freezing SDM 1.0, after freezing it... I manually tried forcing the update to my phone under settings and received a system error. It seems to be disabled for me, I'll be 100% sure later tonight to see if I get reminded from the postponed notification.
    I have procrastinated and have not rooted. I knew this would happen (updated pushed). It has not pushed to my phone yet, only a matter of time. I now must scramble and root, and freeze that sucker. I have taken the battery out and preparing for root, just hope that the update does not try and load while I am in the process of rooting and unlocking the bootloader!!!!!!!!!
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

Yea I hear that... You shouldI be given a few chances (or at least one) to postpone the update up to 12hrs. I was lucky, my battery completely drained last night and I put it on the charger, sometime in the middle of the night I turned the phone back on, when I woke up this morning my phone was in Recovery asking me to install an update, I said no and restarted the phone where I was reminded by another pop up to install the update... that's when I postponed it for 12hrs until I found a fix for blocking it.

UPDATE: Its been 12hrs (time i set to postpone) and no notification. Just want to confirm that the above method of freezing sdm 1.0 works at blocking the OTA.
    Last edited by Cyber Warrior; 09-15-2012 at 11:52 PM.
    Thanked by:
    Ricky Babalu likes this.
    BEACH BUM

ROM

Yea I hear that... You shouldI be given a few chances (or at least one) to postpone the update up to 12hrs. I was lucky, my battery completely drained last night and I put it on the charger, sometime in the middle of the night I turned the phone back on, when I woke up this morning my phone was in Recovery asking me to install an update, I said no and restarted the phone where I was reminded by another pop up to install the update... that's when I postponed it for 12hrs until I found a fix for blocking it.

UPDATE: Its been 12hrs (time i set to postpone) and no notification. Just want to confirm that the above method of freezing sdm 1.0 works at blocking the OTA.
    Thanks!!

Just finished rooting, unlocking, and freezing.

Global Posts
    341 Global Posts

Thanks for the steps on how to freeze the update. I got it going and waiting patiently for rooted JB to come out.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted Stock VZW ROM

Is there any other way to do it without buying the Titanium backup pro? May sound cheap of me, but I'm seriously trying to save my money before I go to boot camp. Also, I don't want my rooted/unlocked bootloader phone to be bricked. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sent from my GS3 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    364 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Babalu View Post
    I have procrastinated and have not rooted. I knew this would happen (updated pushed). It has not pushed to my phone yet, only a matter of time. I now must scramble and root, and freeze that sucker. I have taken the battery out and preparing for root, just hope that the update does not try and load while I am in the process of rooting and unlocking the bootloader!!!!!!!!!
    Just put your phone in airplane mode lol

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted Stock VZW ROM

Ok, quick update: the OTA wasn't pushed to my phone yet, but when I went to software update and performed a check, one of the options given was "reject", which I did. I have attached a picture. However, a friend of mine was not so lucky and now she has the phone trying to install it. The first time it tried, the update failed, much to her delight. Unfortunately, now she has to keep hitting the defer option and keep setting it to a later time. Is there any thing that can be done besides purchasing and using the Titanium backup pro app? She's a nursing student and spending is not an option. Oh, we're both rooted using the stock vzw rom and have the bootloader unlocked. Thanks again!

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seiyajin View Post
    Is there any other way to do it without buying the Titanium backup pro? May sound cheap of me, but I'm seriously trying to save my money before I go to boot camp. Also, I don't want my rooted/unlocked bootloader phone to be bricked. Thanks in advance for any help.

You should be able to rename the file using Root Explorer which is $4 as opposed to TiBu which is $6 if that helps any.
    Other then that, I can't think of any free apps that would work.
    Thanked by:

I've used this free one in the past. If all you want to do is freeze an app or two, it will work fine.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ure=nav_result

Be aware, when looking at lists of bloatware to freeze on the internet, the names given are usually what TiBackup gives and may show up under a different name in other programs.

-Suntan
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    296 Global Posts

From my experience thus far I am rooted (just so I could fix the issue with the phone freezing while copying text) and I checked off "OTA Survival" in Superuser before running the update. After the phone rebooted it said the update failed, but when I check the version it says IMM76D.I535VRALG7 which is what the update announcement says it should be on Verizon's site and I still have root. Everything seems to be working just fine so I am assuming the update just produced a false "Failed" output.
    1%er

I am buying a GS3 today, is this update going to be a problem cause a delay in rooting it? Tips?
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by paradroid View Post
    I am buying a GS3 today, is this update going to be a problem cause a delay in rooting it? Tips?
    Good question.... I haven't seen any complaints yet that the new update interferes with the root procedure or unlocking the bootloader... so you should be okay.
    1%er

It will be a few days before I get one. I had to go with $139 on Amazon. The local Best Buy and Verizon store had it at $199 and would not match price. I suppose this will give it some time for any problems to shake out.
    Last edited by paradroid; 09-19-2012 at 09:31 AM.

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (rooted)

Quote Originally Posted by Seiyajin View Post

I would recommend Rom Toolbox Pro $3.99 https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...olboxpro&hl=en

Cheaper than TiBU and more functions.

If someone helped you, hit the Thanks​ button!
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    780 Global Posts

My S3 is stock and unrooted and I received a notification that there was an update available. I delayed it until tonight so I could see if I wanted to accept it or not. If I root is there a way to delete the downloaded update file? Or, if I just freeze SDM 1.0 will that stop the update even though it has already been downloaded?
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed_H View Post
    My S3 is stock and unrooted and I received a notification that there was an update available. I delayed it until tonight so I could see if I wanted to accept it or not. If I root is there a way to delete the downloaded update file? Or, if I just freeze SDM 1.0 will that stop the update even though it has already been downloaded?
    Yes you still have time, nothing has downloaded yet, it's just a notification. You still have time to root and freeze the file before the postponed notification automatically starts the download on its own.

Global Posts
    780 Global Posts

Yes you still have time, nothing has downloaded yet, it's just a notification. You still have time to root and freeze the file before the postponed notification automatically starts the download on its own.
    Thank you. I need to get rid of bloat not add more with this update.

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

frozen!

frozen too!

Quote Originally Posted by DXHusk3r View Post
    I would recommend Rom Toolbox Pro $3.99 https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...olboxpro&hl=en

Cheaper than TiBU and more functions.
    With a file explorer that has root access you can 'freeze' SDM. I posted a tutorial in August:

[How To][ROOT] Block Verizon OTAs (post bootloader/ROM flash)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    crump13 likes this.

Hi - Looks like for some reason I had uninstalled SDM using TiBU, not frozen it. Then I came across this article. Should I reinstall and then freeze? Thanks
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by perelx View Post
    Hi - Looks like for some reason I had uninstalled SDM using TiBU, not frozen it. Then I came across this article. Should I reinstall and then freeze? Thanks
    It doesn't really matter as long as you have it backed up otherwise you will not be able to except an OTA if you ever decide to.
    Just make sure you keep it frozen or deleted while the phone is rooted.

Do you have the sdm file backed up with titanium backup?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast