[WARN] Before You Root/Unlock/Flash -- Read This -- New OTA Info

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
[WARN]Please read this before you do any type of flashing or rooting of your device. If you already have an unlocked and rooted device you are fine and you can continue to flash till your hearts content. This is meant for those who have yet to root/unlocked their new phones and you will need to understand certain things about your new device.

To state this also, myself and Android Central do not take any responsibility for what you do to your phone. You flash/root/unlock at your own risk of running into issues. You do these things on your own will.[/WARN]

[NOTE]It has come to my recent attention from my flashing thread that there have been issues with the unlocking process of using the EZ Unlock Bootloader app. This is a minor set back, but a set back none the less. If you just got your Galaxy S3 or you recently updated your phone through the OTA you need to understand that you now have to wait for a fix to come out in order to unlock your bootloader to be safe.

IF YOU ARE CURRENTLY ROOTED/UNLOCKED DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT ACCEPT THE OTA. BLOCK IT USING CYBER'S GUIDE FOUND HEREhttp://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...-latest-verizon-ota-rooted-phones-imm76d.html.

If you currently have an UNROOTED/LOCKED stock GS3, this is where you need to start reading and paying attention. The recent OTA has been released to the masses and this has caused issues with unlocking the bootloader. This leads me to believe that the bootloader has been patched or something of that nature and the common unlocking methods now no longer work. Some people are having issues while others are not. When there has been a fix for this issue, I will post it here so that many of you who are eager to unlock and root your device can do so.

If you are impatient, my only recommendation is this... follow this thread. Even though this says to unbrick your device, this will put back on the stock bootloader files and stock rooted OS. That means you will not have any of the OTA files on your device and THEORETICALLY be able to unlock your device. I have not tested this, however if this works to save a bricked device I see no reason why this wouldn't work as well. I will state this again, I have not tested this so you can try this at your own risk. In the end, this is the end all for saving a bricked device so I see no reason why this would not work.

Please note that this may or may not work correctly. Whenever Verizon pushes an OTA there will be issues for those of you who have yet to root/unlock. Don't get frustrated, the devs are working extremely hard to make this phone the best it can be.[/NOTE]

UPDATE
The problem has been found to be the newest version of the EZ Unlock Utility. If you have 1.3 utility, it will no probably unlock you device and as soon as you go to flash something on your device you will get the yellow triangle. The dev has stated that if possible, use the older version 1.2. Otherwise if that is not an option, you may need to use a different unlocking method.

Last edited:

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Everything I've read on XDA says after the OTA you can still root + unlock the phone.

I have read the same things too, however I have also seen posts around here of issues with the bootloader giving people the unauthorized software message. I am simply posting this as a warning. If you had no issues rooting/unlocking that's great.

This is merely a warning that there may be issues with the methods used before the OTA has been released.

rvhighway

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
This is a great post and prudent advice by the op. I wouldn't be surprised if VZW tried to re-lock the bootloader. Only time will tell, but in the meantime I would really dislike findimg my phone bricked to confirm that the hole got plugged. Thanks for the post, op.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Just as a rule of thumb for anyone new to the rooted Android world...

NEVER INSTALL *ANY* OTA UPDATE ON A ROOTED DEVICE...EVER.

Once you root, you've accepted the responsibility to maintain the updates for the device yourself...including the prevention of OTAs from bricking your device.

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to update - the reason people were seeing the 'unauthorized software' message was the latest EZ Unlock 1.3 wasn't actually unlocking the bootloader. If you use 1.2 with any root method, then OTA can be rooted and unlocked just fine.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to update - the reason people were seeing the 'unauthorized software' message was the latest EZ Unlock 1.3 wasn't actually unlocking the bootloader. If you use 1.2 with any root method, then OTA can be rooted and unlocked just fine.

Been researching that and found that to be the issue as well. Just didn't get a chance to update the post yet been under a pile of work at home today. Thanks for posting this to remind me to update this.

pwoznic

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Is there any way to find out if you installed the new OTA in device information? I never received a prompt to update, but am worried that it may have been installed silently when I was sleeping or somethin.

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Is there any way to find out if you installed the new OTA in device information? I never received a prompt to update, but am worried that it may have been installed silently when I was sleeping or somethin.

Check the baseband and firmware version in settings. If its VRALG7 then you have the new update.

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Yay! :) I downloaded the ez unlock 1.2 and unlocked the bootloader. I was just worried about installing CWM before unlocking... never had to do that with my other phones (N1, tbolt)

Glad to hear that it worked out for you. Good thing that its only the unlocking tool causing the problem.

pwoznic

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Glad to hear that it worked out for you. Good thing that its only the unlocking tool causing the problem.

Yea, true. Just gotta think about which ROM to install now. :) I didn't think ahead though.. I bought a 64gb card the day after I got this phone and it seems like NOTHING saves to it by default. perhaps I should've gone 32gb? I'm so used to the tbolt in that I would back up on the 32gb sd and then dl any new roms onto it.. hell everything went to it so I never had to think about internal storage.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Yea, true. Just gotta think about which ROM to install now. :) I didn't think ahead though.. I bought a 64gb card the day after I got this phone and it seems like NOTHING saves to it by default. perhaps I should've gone 32gb? I'm so used to the tbolt in that I would back up on the 32gb sd and then dl any new roms onto it.. hell everything went to it so I never had to think about internal storage.

The 64gb is wonky with this phone. You need to make sure that it is formated to FAT32 for it work properly but even then you have dig through settings to get it to work properly.

gregurbo1

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
Sorry for the newb question...I have just successfully rooted my Verizon GS3 but have not unlocked the boot loader just yet....So my question is, if the boot loader is still locked is it safe to except OTA udates? Or just dont do it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21