Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default [WARN] Before You Root/Unlock/Flash -- Read This -- New OTA Info

[WARN]Please read this before you do any type of flashing or rooting of your device. If you already have an unlocked and rooted device you are fine and you can continue to flash till your hearts content. This is meant for those who have yet to root/unlocked their new phones and you will need to understand certain things about your new device.

To state this also, myself and Android Central do not take any responsibility for what you do to your phone. You flash/root/unlock at your own risk of running into issues. You do these things on your own will.[/WARN]

[NOTE]It has come to my recent attention from my flashing thread that there have been issues with the unlocking process of using the EZ Unlock Bootloader app. This is a minor set back, but a set back none the less. If you just got your Galaxy S3 or you recently updated your phone through the OTA you need to understand that you now have to wait for a fix to come out in order to unlock your bootloader to be safe.

IF YOU ARE CURRENTLY ROOTED/UNLOCKED DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT ACCEPT THE OTA. BLOCK IT USING CYBER'S GUIDE FOUND HERE.

If you currently have an UNROOTED/LOCKED stock GS3, this is where you need to start reading and paying attention. The recent OTA has been released to the masses and this has caused issues with unlocking the bootloader. This leads me to believe that the bootloader has been patched or something of that nature and the common unlocking methods now no longer work. Some people are having issues while others are not. When there has been a fix for this issue, I will post it here so that many of you who are eager to unlock and root your device can do so.

If you are impatient, my only recommendation is this... . Even though this says to unbrick your device, this will put back on the stock bootloader files and stock rooted OS. That means you will not have any of the OTA files on your device and THEORETICALLY be able to unlock your device. I have not tested this, however if this works to save a bricked device I see no reason why this wouldn't work as well. I will state this again, I have not tested this so you can try this at your own risk. In the end, this is the end all for saving a bricked device so I see no reason why this would not work.

Please note that this may or may not work correctly. Whenever Verizon pushes an OTA there will be issues for those of you who have yet to root/unlock. Don't get frustrated, the devs are working extremely hard to make this phone the best it can be.[/NOTE]

UPDATE
    The problem has been found to be the newest version of the EZ Unlock Utility. If you have 1.3 utility, it will no probably unlock you device and as soon as you go to flash something on your device you will get the yellow triangle. The dev has stated that if possible, use the older version 1.2. Otherwise if that is not an option, you may need to use a different unlocking method.
    Thanked by 4:
    Ricky Babalu and rvhighway like this.

Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock Galaxy S3

Default Re: [WARN] Before You Root/Unlock/Flash -- Read This -- New OTA Info

Everything I've read on XDA says after the OTA you can still root + unlock the phone.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by ECrispy View Post
    Everything I've read on XDA says after the OTA you can still root + unlock the phone.
    I have read the same things too, however I have also seen posts around here of issues with the bootloader giving people the unauthorized software message. I am simply posting this as a warning. If you had no issues rooting/unlocking that's great.

This is merely a warning that there may be issues with the methods used before the OTA has been released.
    Thanked by:

This is a great post and prudent advice by the op. I wouldn't be surprised if VZW tried to re-lock the bootloader. Only time will tell, but in the meantime I would really dislike findimg my phone bricked to confirm that the hole got plugged. Thanks for the post, op.
    creccaj1 likes this.

Just as a rule of thumb for anyone new to the rooted Android world...

NEVER INSTALL *ANY* OTA UPDATE ON A ROOTED DEVICE...EVER.

Once you root, you've accepted the responsibility to maintain the updates for the device yourself...including the prevention of OTAs from bricking your device.

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts

Up until today I've been running the stock build unrooted and locked. I have received the OTA update and before reading this thread I successfully rooted the phone by using the Debugfs one click root method seen here -

Glad I came hear before unlocking, guess I'll standby and see what becomes available.

Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock Galaxy S3

Just wanted to update - the reason people were seeing the 'unauthorized software' message was the latest EZ Unlock 1.3 wasn't actually unlocking the bootloader. If you use 1.2 with any root method, then OTA can be rooted and unlocked just fine.
    Thanked by:
    creccaj1 likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Just wanted to update - the reason people were seeing the 'unauthorized software' message was the latest EZ Unlock 1.3 wasn't actually unlocking the bootloader. If you use 1.2 with any root method, then OTA can be rooted and unlocked just fine.
    Been researching that and found that to be the issue as well. Just didn't get a chance to update the post yet been under a pile of work at home today. Thanks for posting this to remind me to update this.

Is there any way to find out if you installed the new OTA in device information? I never received a prompt to update, but am worried that it may have been installed silently when I was sleeping or somethin.

Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock Galaxy S3

Quote Originally Posted by pwoznic View Post
    Is there any way to find out if you installed the new OTA in device information? I never received a prompt to update, but am worried that it may have been installed silently when I was sleeping or somethin.
    Check the baseband and firmware version in settings. If its VRALG7 then you have the new update.

Scott of CleanROM has already rooted/odexed VRALG7. I'm running his build and it's 100% fine. Get it on XDA.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock Galaxy S3

Quote Originally Posted by jaj6503 View Post
    Scott of CleanROM has already rooted/odexed VRALG7. I'm running his build and it's 100% fine. Get it on XDA.

That's just the stock rom though. He's going to update CleanRom based on this this weekend hopefully. I'd also advise people to replace search with the older apk if they want universal search.

delete

Check the baseband and firmware version in settings. If its VRALG7 then you have the new update.
    Baseband: I535VRALF2

I don't see Firmware version though.
    BEACH BUM

Global Posts
    1,947 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock : Rooted, Unlocked

Baseband: I535VRALF2

I don't see Firmware Build Number version though.
    Order:
    F2
    G1
    G7
    You have the original which is what I have as well, you are good.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Babalu View Post
    Order:
    F2
    G1
    G7
    You have the original which is what I have as well, you are good.
    Yay! I downloaded the ez unlock 1.2 and unlocked the bootloader. I was just worried about installing CWM before unlocking... never had to do that with my other phones (N1, tbolt)
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Default [WARN] Before You Root/Unlock/Flash -- Read This -- New OTA Info

Yay! I downloaded the ez unlock 1.2 and unlocked the bootloader. I was just worried about installing CWM before unlocking... never had to do that with my other phones (N1, tbolt)
    Glad to hear that it worked out for you. Good thing that its only the unlocking tool causing the problem.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by creccaj1 View Post
    Glad to hear that it worked out for you. Good thing that its only the unlocking tool causing the problem.
    Yea, true. Just gotta think about which ROM to install now. I didn't think ahead though.. I bought a 64gb card the day after I got this phone and it seems like NOTHING saves to it by default. perhaps I should've gone 32gb? I'm so used to the tbolt in that I would back up on the 32gb sd and then dl any new roms onto it.. hell everything went to it so I never had to think about internal storage.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Yea, true. Just gotta think about which ROM to install now. I didn't think ahead though.. I bought a 64gb card the day after I got this phone and it seems like NOTHING saves to it by default. perhaps I should've gone 32gb? I'm so used to the tbolt in that I would back up on the 32gb sd and then dl any new roms onto it.. hell everything went to it so I never had to think about internal storage.
    The 64gb is wonky with this phone. You need to make sure that it is formated to FAT32 for it work properly but even then you have dig through settings to get it to work properly.

ROM
    CM10/Stock CM Kernel

Sorry for the newb question...I have just successfully rooted my Verizon GS3 but have not unlocked the boot loader just yet....So my question is, if the boot loader is still locked is it safe to except OTA udates? Or just dont do it?

Use the root method I posted at Verified Root Method for VRALG7 OTA USERS , it is a modified version of GS3DebugFSRoot method for the new update and it works perfectly...
    Samsung S3
    Time to feel the POWER...

ROM
    CleanRom 2.5

Sorry i am a root newbie. I still have VRLF2. I found the SDM 1.0 yesterday and froze it. I am currently rooted, installed CWM (but really have not used ROM manager because i don't understand it completely yet), and I have not unlocked bootloader. I used the ODIN method to root my phone. What are my options to get these new OTA updates?

23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Quote Originally Posted by gregurbo1 View Post
    Sorry for the newb question...I have just successfully rooted my Verizon GS3 but have not unlocked the boot loader just yet....So my question is, if the boot loader is still locked is it safe to except OTA udates? Or just dont do it?
    Don't do it when your rooted. If you want OTAs, flash the stock unrooted OS and then accept the OTA. Bad things could happen when your rooted and accept the OTA.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrooster View Post
    Sorry i am a root newbie. I still have VRLF2. I found the SDM 1.0 yesterday and froze it. I am currently rooted, installed CWM (but really have not used ROM manager because i don't understand it completely yet), and I have not unlocked bootloader. I used the ODIN method to root my phone. What are my options to get these new OTA updates?

First off, if you want the new OTA for G7 there is no point. You can flash the G7 modems using ODIN or recovery which updates your radios. Aside from that, the only changes in this OTA are minor bug fixes like the SIM Card error as the main one. If you have had no issues with your phone saying no SIM then I would recommend you just flash the new modems with ODIN and call it a day.
    Thanked by:
    Bigrooster likes this.

ROM
    CleanRom 2.5

Ok thank you. So how do i flash the G7 modems using odin?

25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrooster View Post
    Ok thank you. So how do i flash the G7 modems using odin?

Check the modem thread in my signature.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast